U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Zanzibar (Tanzania) vs Mombasa (Kenya)
Zanzibar (Tanzania) 6 100.00%
Mombasa (Kenya) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Zanzibar (Tanzania) vs Mombasa (Kenya)

Which would you prefer to visit? Why?

If you've been to one of the other, or both, tell us about your experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 AM

65 posts, read 75,369 times
Zanzibar..already an italian resort with plenty of resorts (builted by italians)..and in a stunning position.. The isle of zanzibar

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybearlover View Post
Zanzibar..already an italian resort with plenty of resorts (builted by italians)..and in a stunning position.. The isle of zanzibar
An Italian resort? What makes it Italian? I hadn't heard that before.

Mostly I just heard its incredibly exotic, and a mix of Arabic and African influences. But I hear of those influences with Mombasa as well.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM

65 posts, read 75,369 times
Italians opened many tuorism business there.
And it s a popular tourism destination for italians Who want to travel outside europe
(The others Being sharm el sheik, thailand, cuba, rep. Dominicana)

Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM

2,735 posts, read 3,267,449 times
Never been to Zanzibar, but I did visit Mombasa once.

I described my experience in a post I wrote several years ago:

I was a mere 21 year old U.S. Navy Sailor when I found myself at sea in the Indian Ocean. Because we had been at sea for 36 consecutive days, our ship was starting to run low on fuel and essential supplies. The closest friendly port was Mombasa. As soon as permission was granted, our ship headed in that direction. Initially, no one knew exactly where we were headed. But, as soon as the word got out, there was this feeling of absolute elation amongst those of us of African-American descent and myself. Although many of my African-American shipmates didn't know I had African blood in me, I was sure to let them know how proud and fortunate I felt, and how our elation was mutual. We'd smile at each other in a curious sort of way. We were on our way to the proverbial "Mother land;" the land of our ancestors and the very craddle of humanity.

Unfortunately, immediately upon arrival, my division was tasked with the critical responsibility of taking on fuel. This kept our group aboard an extra 12 hours. The next day I finally set foot on the pier. I purposely took a very deep breath and walked into town with a group of guys from my division. We were granted early liberty given the prior day's 12 hour ordeal. I was a bit surprised at the number of foreigners I saw and British accents I heard. But nevertheless, I knew where I was. I knew that the air in my lungs and the soil beneath my feet was African. I was there. I had arrived at that far away place frequently alluded to by my father and my father's father.

"Yambo, yambo. . .hey brader, we same color!" I'll never forget the words of a statue and efigy vendor I met. Both he and I were all smiles. He (of course) smiled to sell his wares. I smiled simply because it felt good to hear those words coming from a native Kenyan. Although I was a few shades lighter, I felt so proud to hear that man call me brother, and tell me that we were of the same color. I offered him a Camel cigarrette which he kindly accepted. As we smoked, I analyzed several of his hand carved figures. I was truly impressed with the craftsmanship and bought two intricately carved masks and two 8 inch tall figurines, all made from dense mahogany.

We spent a total of six days in Mombasa and I felt gifted by God Himself for it. Sadly, several of my African-American shipmates did not faire as well. Many were shunned by the native Kenyans. Despite that, I am sure that a certain void in our souls was made whole. That curious void found deep in my sub-conscious was finally satisfied. I can proudly say that I've set foot on African soil.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Anyone else has something to add?

I'm still interested in these two cities! Zanzibar & Mombasa!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM

345 posts, read 154,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone else has something to add?

I'm still interested in these two cities! Zanzibar & Mombasa!
We are off to Tanzania in June. First Doha, then Tanzania for a safari and other experiences, finishing up at the beach in Zanzibar. Cannot wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or