U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,656,219 times

Advertisements

The "head start" you are looking for is through your eyes and expectations -- I'm not sure that is a fair or relevant yardstick. Ethiopia has a very unique history and culture with ruling dynasties and royal families. There were various classes or castes within the population. Christianity came very early and there was (is?) a Jewish sect that existed in isolation for centuries. Its location and isolation worked in its favor but also worked against it. I don't know how comparable it is to other parts of Africa that were consumed by the colonial powers. There is still something of a connection with Italy (from personal experience and contacts) but the earlier attempt at colonization was a disaster. I don't think colonial domination would have improved Ethiopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
It was in one of the threads on another forums, I remember this list too. I would say it's right for it to be there. I mean, the only thing I really found 'unsafe' in Addis was the potential pickpockets. Other than that, nothing really made it dangerous at all.
How does it compare to Sweden in your opinion? I mean Sweden is pretty safe itself, do you think Ethiopia is about as safe or maybe even safer?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,500,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How does it compare to Sweden in your opinion? I mean Sweden is pretty safe itself, do you think Ethiopia is about as safe or maybe even safer?
I guess Sweden is safer. The thing is, I think the biggest killer in Ethiopia is car accidents. There are lot there. In terms of homicide, i'm not sure what it is like in Ethiopia but I didn't see any such news there. You see police every now and then in Addis Ababa but I think they are for riot purposes.
People just have this thought that African countries are dangerous because of the state they are in, which is not the case.

To answer your question, I haven't been to many places in Ethiopia to give an opinion. I only went to Addis Ababa and the Danakil Depression (which isn't inhabited). I had no problems in Addis Ababa at all, just the weather.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,549,255 times
Some people I know lived with the Anuaks for about 15 years from early 1960's to mid-1970's. They needed to get out because of communist takeover. They said a lot of the people they worked with up in the mountains and things they built were killed/destroyed in the past 10 years (seems like it was this time period) by a rival faction. Pretty sad for them to see everything they worked to build brutally destroyed.

They have great pictures----monkeys, crocs, gazelles, leopards, etc. Sadly, it sounds like a lot of these things are gone.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,459,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Modern day Ethiopia has many problems and all stemming from greed and or the need to keep things the same. The country is currently realizing some economic gains but people are still poor compared to Western standards but of course wealthy in many other aspects. When regimes span over 20+ years then switch for one reason or another and mainly impart as a result of war and there isn't a stable infrastructure to support changes any place will regress. Ethiopia like many 3rd world countries are behind also because of the lack of technology and lack of resources of the European countries (this is back to my point of keeping things the same).

I'm not sure why people are intent on making an issue over whether Ethiopia was colonized or not. Not sure why it is important for people to say that there weren't African Kings or Queens or that all of Africa was colonized and especially Ethiopia. Not one Ethiopian person will ever say that their country was colonized, a section occupied yes but colonized no. Hopefully some of you realize that Italians didn't invent coffee nor is it its birthplace, Egyptian cotton most likely is from all over Africa, nor is the leather Italians sell are from Italy, and the beautiful flowers Europeans sell and fresh fruit they enjoy is coming from Africa, some of you really need to read history books and the newspaper.

The Italians tried twice to take over the country and twice they were unsuccessful. March 1st does mark over 100+ years of the first victory of Adwa when men and women fought for their country and successfully kicked out their invaders.

Changes to any country is going to have to start with the native and or occupants holding the people in powerful positions accountable to making a difference and improving their country.
Technically what's the difference between colonisation and occupation then? settlement of White Europeans? Then, Britons "colonised" just a handful of countries, France practically colonised only Algeria and other colonial empires of XIX century didn't colonise at all.
Italy did indeed colonise Ethiopia and left a lasting mark which consisted both in brutal massacres (Debre Libanos to mention one) and useful buildings and feats (from the abolition of slavery to the contruction of over 4,000 km of roads) and it's false to say that "twice" Italians tried unsuccessfully, in 1935 Italy invaded and clearly defeated Ethiopians, I don't really know why all Ethiopians keep saying the contrary.
Plus, while there was a constant guerilla (often fought with brutal methods by Italians) it's also worthy of mention that as late as 1943 (when Germany and Italy were on retreat on all fronts of the war), Italians managed to make revolt Azebo Gallà and other tribes against Haile Selassié and Britons.
Said this, Italian influence is much greater in Eritrea where Italian colonisation lasted much longer (1880s-1941) and left a much bigger impact.
Then, I'd attribute the relative poverty of Ethiopia to the disastrous rule of Menghistu and the successive famines which ravaged the country during 1980-1990s rather than whatever Italy did, the same goes with Somalia (while Eritrea is doing slightly better than the other two countries).

Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,500,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Technically what's the difference between colonisation and occupation then? settlement of White Europeans? Then, Britons "colonised" just a handful of countries, France practically colonised only Algeria and other colonial empires of XIX century didn't colonise at all.
Italy did indeed colonise Ethiopia and left a lasting mark which consisted both in brutal massacres (Debre Libanos to mention one) and useful buildings and feats (from the abolition of slavery to the contruction of over 4,000 km of roads) and it's false to say that "twice" Italians tried unsuccessfully, in 1935 Italy invaded and clearly defeated Ethiopians, I don't really know why all Ethiopians keep saying the contrary.
Plus, while there was a constant guerilla (often fought with brutal methods by Italians) it's also worthy of mention that as late as 1943 (when Germany and Italy were on retreat on all fronts of the war), Italians managed to make revolt Azebo Gallà and other tribes against Haile Selassié and Britons.
Said this, Italian influence is much greater in Eritrea where Italian colonisation lasted much longer (1880s-1941) and left a much bigger impact.
Then, I'd attribute the relative poverty of Ethiopia to the disastrous rule of Menghistu and the successive famines which ravaged the country during 1980-1990s rather than whatever Italy did, the same goes with Somalia (while Eritrea is doing slightly better than the other two countries).
Eritrea is actually a disaster at the moment. Many of their citizens are leaving the country to Italy, Israel and Ethiopia because of the repression of their government. Not much is said about Eritrea on the news because of the ban of private media. It's a very secretive state.

I recently saw a video of their capital and it does look like a smaller version of Rome actually .

Old 03-22-2015, 06:08 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,949,757 times
Not many people know Eritrea exists. I didn't until last year.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM

670 posts, read 730,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Not many people know Eritrea exists. I didn't until last year.
Do you know that South Sudan exists?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,833,987 times
Xander.xvII,

Am hardly on these forums. But there is a significant difference between occupation and colonization. For instance the United States is currently in Iraq and Afghanistan I can't say because they are there that they have colonized those countries even though they have been fighting there for several years and have a base there. When Russia was in Afghan I can't say they colonized Afghanistan. Can't also say that the US colonized Vietnam. Just because you have a presence in a country that due to that presence a country has colonized an entire country.

Italy basically occupied a state but not an entire country (your assessment is saying because Spain was in CA that they colonized the United States, that is not the case), the Ethiopian people kept fighting, the Ethiopian government was not overthrown whereby the people had to follow Italian law, the people's national language was not changed to Italian, and Ethiopia does not have an independence day victory days yes but no independence day. The Italians invaded Ethiopia twice and both time they did not take over Ethiopia. Sorry but this is also a fact that Italians will confirm, is in the history books, and is one of the reasons the League of African nations is in Ethiopia.

Am not sure where you are getting your information about Ethiopia and Eritrea but Eritrea is not doing better than Ethiopia, or many other countries in Africa. They aren't using their ports, can you explain their exports that they have over Ethiopia or any other country in Africa?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:46 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,206,498 times
Countries with the Highest / Lowest Average IQ | Statistic Brain

Scroll down.... Second lowest on this chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or