Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:21 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
These are not the only 2 countries that cannot accept new ideas, there are at least a 100 more.
Yes, and...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 9,038 times
Really ? I didn't know that.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,954,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifcmind1 View Post
Really ? I didn't know that.
Now you do

Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Ethiopia was the only country not was not invaded or colonized by European countries. Theorically, it should have had a head start. But modern Ethiopia is not that much better than African countries.
A head start on what?

For better or worse, colonization brought a great deal of improvements to colonized countries, including modern inventions, engineering and farming practices.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM

177 posts, read 193,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
A head start on what?

For better or worse, colonization brought a great deal of improvements to colonized countries, including modern inventions, engineering and farming practices.
These are abstracts and in no way are comparable to the social human harm that colonialism did. To mention 'improvements' within this context is distasteful.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 PM

56 posts, read 419,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifcmind1 View Post
To me success or failure are direct results of thinking and practices. If you look at most Ethiopians or Somalians for that matter you can clearly see that they are very stubborn and have hard time accepting new ideas or disagree in a civil manner. Almost any differences of ideas bring fights at a personal level and war at group level due to lack of self confidence and poor or no education / experience. Most live based on yesterday and wishful thinking e.g. "We are the best looking people on earth, we were not colonized, etc).
I was born and lived there so I am speaking from experience.
I dont believe youve ever lived in Ethiopia. You would have known the terrible costs of ethnic politics in my country and the fact that Ethiopia has had its share of civil wars and state engineered famine. It sounds like youve had a few bad experiences with a few racist Ethiopians on some online forum and youve chosen to colour t h e whole country with the same brush.

Last edited by UltimateLegacy; 06-03-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:26 PM

284 posts, read 491,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
These are abstracts and in no way are comparable to the social human harm that colonialism did. To mention 'improvements' within this context is distasteful.
The question posed by the OP related to the lack of "development" in Ethiopia.
This usually refers to economic development, but if we take the wider interpretation and include social and human development we find the Ibrahim Index of African Governance ranks Ethiopia 33rd of 52 countries in 2012, and the United Nations Human Development Index ranks the country 38th amongst African nations.

I cannot see that avoiding the "social human harm" caused by colonialism has benefited Ethiopia.
As is true of most African countries, based on my experience of living in Africa for twenty years, and strictly expressing a personal opinion here, corruption and bribery among petty government officials, greed and corruption among leaders and high officials, ethnic and tribal conflict and suppression and censorship of media which might publish uncomfortable truth are the main factors holding back social and human development.
Lack of capital and lack of local ownership of resources and means of production, which are largely owned by foreign companies, (a form of economic colonialism), are among the key reasons for poor economic development, again, in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 8,819 times
I think Armando explains your " rare SNP of eritrea" considerably better
"Having a rare SNP that is found in Eritrea does not mean that it was passed down through the slave trade and it does not mean it was less than 500 years old. It could be an SNP that is 60,000 years old and is from the Out of Africa event and any of the multiple immigration events could have passed it down to an ancestor of your mother's. It could have have been a coincidence and your mother's ancestors also had the mutation from a different ancestor than the person from Eritrea had".

Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Ethiopia was the only country not was not invaded or colonized by European countries. Theorically, it should have had a head start. But modern Ethiopia is not that much better than African countries.
Not, that doesn't mean anything. Whether Ethiopia was colonized or not, it is still under a world system which is Westernized. Ethiopia was also a nation victimized by the Cold War, a long civil war ensued. So either way, African modern nations couldn't go forward.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 PM

248 posts, read 194,292 times
Is undeveloped truly a negative thing? So is the question of undeveloped or underdeveloped? Why is there attitude of seemingly superiority. Perhaps highly developed is not as superior as it may seem.

A thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa