U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 53,838 times

Advertisements

Are there here some Tunisians who could describe the culture/society of tunisia?
I m curious because it s just down under Italy my country .. Not very far from Sicily.
You are ours southern neighbor

How do you Tunisians see and think of Italy?

One day I would like to visit it. As it was an economic rival of Rome (carthago); and overall a tip of Sicily goes a bit down than the northern most coast of Tunisia (Syracuse province).

Sicily and Tunisia have some common bond down in history.. With some Carthaginians colonies in Sicily and Sardinia too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 15,527 times
The first thing that comes to mind when someone says Italy is the illegal immigrants sailing to Lampedusa :P

I'm not really sure how to describe my country culture, it's mainly an Arab society, but different from the middle east in some ways, mainly in it's traditions and culture (actually each Arab country is different from the other in some way, even regions in each countries have some differences in culture, sometimes alot of differences, in Tunisia, you can go to Tunis or Kairouan (the old city parts) and then go to the south like Touzeur and Douz you'll find many differences in architecture, some traditional clothes, even dilact, I think it's mostly related to climate and geographic location and the geographic features, if you go farther in the south like Matmata, it's also a different place, etc..).

We think of Italy as similar to Tunisia in many ways, like food, the way we speak (also using hands when talking, caracters, etc...), family ties, etc... (although we are stricter about sexual things which are very normal in Europe), I think there are many Italians currenctly living in Tunisia, mostly if not all are old people, or people who came during colonization and decided to stay, a portion of Italy was a part of Tunisia during the Aghalbic Dynasty peak (http://goo.gl/aojZkx) (Kairouan was it's capital back then) , for example, if I go to Malta as a Tunisian, I can manage to understand a portion of what they are saying, and if I know some Italian, I would understand them perfectly. I didn't know that before actually, but it was fun to hear their language as I can understand a little of what they are talking about.
We also find Italy a very beautiful country, and sadly, some people think it's the promised land, people who have no work and sadly not much money, try to sneak into Italy to try to build a career and a better life.

But you know, it's a hard question to try to describe my culture while being a Tunisian, you would need a foreign person for that, besides being an Arab country, some people say it have a feeling of Rome, Greece, and such, whilte it's actually a mix of many civilizations (don't forget berbers culture) (the Arab civilisation itself is made of many cultures that have been integrated as the Islamic empire expanded (I say Islamic because back then, the only thing that united them was Islam, they didn't all speak Arabic and they didn't have the same culture, Arab Architecture in Maghreb countries is different from Egypte, and that is different from the Levent countries (Syria, Lebanon, Palastine, etc..) and that is also slightly different from Iraq and farther places, also different from Iran, and different from Yeman and the rest of Arabia, not to mention that it have been greatly affected by the translation of Greek, Indian, Chinese, Persian and Mesoptemia sciences and cultures, when you say Arab today, you don't mean someone who is racially Arab, but someone who speak Arabic as their mother tong and who have an Arabic culture, it's like saying an American).

The Tunisian dilact itself, although mainly Arabic with a changed pronunciation alot of the time, have many elements from many other languages, like French, Spanish, Berber tribes' native languages, German, (I'm not sure about Italian, but I'm sure there are some words somewhere, I don't remember any right now, the words go mostly unnoticed).

I hope that helps, I can help with little history, but I guess if you want to know you should ask people who may have visited Tunisia (or Algeria and Morroco too, close enough I think).
P.s.: Don't expect a developed country (although some foreigners think it is, lol), but it's not that bad, but as a country who is just having a revolution and all the corruption is being exposed little by little, more people are being pessimistic and worried about the future after knowing what was really going on for 50 years of corruption, theft (both from inside and outside), etc... the country is just spilling the worst it have, but considering that's the worst it have, I think we'll be Okay (I hope so... and by Okay I don't mean to stay as we are, but to develop and become like countries such as Japan or Korea, developing without loosing it's culture, ethics and morals, and I think that's what most people also want and mean by staying Okay, because in our current situation, we either develop the country, or make it worse, I think there's no stay as it is right now, either solutions or more problems, and I think we can, but all that depends on politics now, but that's only my opinion, I may be wrong).

Last edited by Kataphrakt; 04-13-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 163,601 times
Thanks

Rome and Cartahgo were enemies in ancient time, each other warlike between themselves for the egemony of te commerce in the Mediterranean.

Tunisia should become an Allie of Italy; as we are neighbors, and Sicily and Tunisia are really near eachothers.

I think there should be an imigration agreement between us, us welcoming Tunisians who would like to immigrate here. Let them build mosques, and Tunisians let building churches if Italians want to trade there.

Italy could be your Allie in Europe; only if you let apart and delete Islamic fanatism.

One day I would visit there; I was interested on touring the salt lake near tozeur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or