U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
 
508 posts, read 669,033 times
Reputation: 227

Advertisements

For Western expats what are some of Sub-Saharan Africa's least expensive and safest cities? Luanda is one of the most expensive cities in the World so it shouldn't make the cut. Africa is by no means a cheap place to live. So, I'm curious where do you go for the bargain living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 AM
 
271 posts, read 292,536 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
For Western expats what are some of Sub-Saharan Africa's least expensive and safest cities? Luanda is one of the most expensive cities in the World so it shouldn't make the cut. Africa is by no means a cheap place to live. So, I'm curious where do you go for the bargain living?
Well what do your currently monthly incomes/expenses look like? Most I can do is post a comparison to here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the Kona coffee fields
834 posts, read 941,508 times
Reputation: 1630
Capetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Reputation: 4846
Windhoek and Gaborone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM
 
508 posts, read 669,033 times
Reputation: 227
Windhoek captures my imagination. Has anyone here been there before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
Windhoek captures my imagination. Has anyone here been there before?
Irene lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Reputation: 36087
Africa is a cheap place to live, as long as you don't need to live "like an American" when you are there. The famous global cost-of-living indices are based upon the cost of owning a car, employing a driver, having a suit dry cleaned, and ordering a French wine with dinner. While Africans live very cheaply. If the cost of living was higher in Kinshasa than in New York, you would see thrifty middle-class Africans economizing on their living expenses and using their savings to take their families to Disney World.

It is true, that housing would be very expensive, due to the intense pressure on the housing market by the rapidly urbanizing African demography. It would probably be nearly impossible to get off the plane and find a vacant place to live, other than one expressly designed for rich foreigners.. However, if you were really willing to live in African housing, you'd be able to find a family who would move out to live with relatives, and rent you their house, for a very small price.

Food is very expensive in the third world -- feeding one's family very often costs more than half the income of villagers. But it would still be cheap by American standards for the staples, as long as you don't need microwaveable pop-tarts and Kelloggs Special K. You'd need to cook over a kerosene stove on your dirt floor, the cost of energy is high, and it might cost a dollar an hour to keep a light bulb on, if you live in a city that even has a power grid.

Safety is the other issue. You would have personal safety, in that you would not be attacked. But theft is a crime of opportunity in most of the third world, and you would have a very hard time protecting your belongings. Even hired security guards (one of the elements in the high cost of ex-pat living) would methodically arrange for perpetual theft of your belongings, as you would be seen as a conspicuous and irresistible source of loot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 AM
 
271 posts, read 292,536 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Africa is a cheap place to live, as long as you don't need to live "like an American" when you are there. The famous global cost-of-living indices are based upon the cost of owning a car, employing a driver, having a suit dry cleaned, and ordering a French wine with dinner. While Africans live very cheaply. If the cost of living was higher in Kinshasa than in New York, you would see thrifty middle-class Africans economizing on their living expenses and using their savings to take their families to Disney World.

It is true, that housing would be very expensive, due to the intense pressure on the housing market by the rapidly urbanizing African demography. It would probably be nearly impossible to get off the plane and find a vacant place to live, other than one expressly designed for rich foreigners.. However, if you were really willing to live in African housing, you'd be able to find a family who would move out to live with relatives, and rent you their house, for a very small price.

Food is very expensive in the third world -- feeding one's family very often costs more than half the income of villagers. But it would still be cheap by American standards for the staples, as long as you don't need microwaveable pop-tarts and Kelloggs Special K. You'd need to cook over a kerosene stove on your dirt floor, the cost of energy is high, and it might cost a dollar an hour to keep a light bulb on, if you live in a city that even has a power grid.

Safety is the other issue. You would have personal safety, in that you would not be attacked. But theft is a crime of opportunity in most of the third world, and you would have a very hard time protecting your belongings. Even hired security guards (one of the elements in the high cost of ex-pat living) would methodically arrange for perpetual theft of your belongings, as you would be seen as a conspicuous and irresistible source of loot.
Please stop generalising with the blanket term of Africa and Africans, it just doesn't work well when you're trying to indicate stats or facts :/

Also cost of living in SA is way cheaper than the USA...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top