U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,955,938 times

Advertisements

The reason is Eurocentric world view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You said it...

... so I didn't have to.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You said it...

... so I didn't have to.
Actually, unfortunately, this goes on all around the world.

When I was in the Philippines, I met a lot of Filipinos who would call ANY white person an American. If you challenge them on this, you get a conversation something like this:

A) You would consider French and German as Americans too?
B) Yes.
A) Do you realize how they would react if you told them that?
B) Why would they? They know they are American.
A) But..

It goes into a circular argument as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:04 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,955,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

When I was in the Philippines, I met a lot of Filipinos who would call ANY white person an American. If you challenge them on this, you get a conversation something like this:

A) You would consider French and German as Americans too?
B) Yes.
A) Do you realize how they would react if you told them that?
B) Why would they? They know they are American.
A) But..

It goes into a circular argument as well.
Wow really?

But there's a general theme that people put Europe and Europeans at high regard. Eurocentric doesn't just mean geographics it means Media domination, Eurocentric History etc

Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That may be true, but I personally hold Americans to a higher standard.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:46 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I understand Eurocentric world view as referring to a view of European exceptionalism tied to Colonialsim with the belief that Europe is the most important continent.

How are you using the term I have seen you use it multiple times. I believe you have used it even in reference to Americans of European ancestry. I can assure you Americans in general view North America as the excetional continent.

Can I refer to your world view as P Londoncentric?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,753,023 times
I agree. Good post!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 AM

508 posts, read 642,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I agree with the OP in general. However, I think the confusion comes up because the national identities themselves are a bit arbitrary. In terms of identity the country is not nearly as important as the ethnic group. And many Africans prefer to identify themselves by ethnic group over national origin. The message that comes across (even if its only implied) is that national identity is not very important. Being identified as an Igbo or Fulani is more important than being identified as Nigerian or Cameroonian.

Of course most Westerners know even less about the ethnic groups.
This just shows the line of thinking though. It was never agreed upon that the Yoruba and Igbo would be "Nigerians". Until self-determination is granted to ethnic groups in Africa, it will still not progress.

If you put 3 random Nigerians together to work on something; there may be tension . Put 3 Christian Igbos together though and it'll be much, much more cohesive. The EU is a perfect example. Greeks and Germans have some serious issues to overcome with each other (and the rest of the union).

Imagine if they were forced to be a nation instead of just a union. Wouldn't be pretty.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM

508 posts, read 642,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I understand Eurocentric world view as referring to a view of European exceptionalism tied to Colonialsim with the belief that Europe is the most important continent.

How are you using the term I have seen you use it multiple times. I believe you have used it even in reference to Americans of European ancestry. I can assure you Americans in general view North America as the excetional continent.

Can I refer to your world view as P Londoncentric?
Had one of my best friends say that his family came from "across the ocean" the other day. Couldn't even remember the name for Europe lol. He picked up on it when I was about to make fun of him, but the point remains.

White Americans hear "Spanish" and think "El Salvador". Tell them that Spanish people are white and a lot of times, they'd disagree.

Amero-centric is definitely a thing.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Imagine if they were forced to be a nation instead of just a union. Wouldn't be pretty.
Hell Europe is still pissing over boundaries that were forced on their so-called homogenous population. Ukraine anyone? The Basque have just now come to terms with Spain. How long did it take for Ireland and Great Britain to come to terms. Did I mention Georgia, the Balkans, and this in the most recent history of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa