U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You said it...

... so I didn't have to.
So, the average so-so educated person from country X doesn't know crap about Y? Big Shock there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,013,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, the average so-so educated person from country X doesn't know crap about Y? Big Shock there.
The problem is that this so-so educated country, is the big stick in international foreign policy. If this is indeed a democratic republic, then the populace has a responsibility of have a better than so-so understanding of the world that they've every hand in.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 AM

508 posts, read 642,377 times
Quote:
The problem is that this so-so educated country, is the big stick in international foreign policy. If this is indeed a democratic republic, then the populace has a responsibility of have a better than so-so understanding of the world that they've every hand in.
You're asking way to much of I'm assuming, Americans.

Some Americans don't even know much about the next state over; let alone a continent across the ocean.

This is a country that most people are 'monolingual'. Geography is taught sparingly to Public School educated folks.

I can only imagine how many Americans thought Iraq had a hand in the 9/11 attacks.

Ask the average American about "Asia Minor" and wait to see what response you get. I'm not bashing, far from it. I'm just saying that a good number of my countrymen are very insular and localized. Even me.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM

691 posts, read 919,172 times
Most Americans don't have a clue I am afraid...I was fortunate to have a good geography teacher..in junior high, when we
studied Africa..we were given a blank map and had to fill in each country and its capital..as part of our test grade...

Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
You're asking way to much of I'm assuming,
I don't that I'm asking much at all, considering the role that this country plays in the world.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 PM

691 posts, read 919,172 times
Was invited to celebrate Nigerian Independence Day by a Nigerian friend in my local city held in a big church hall, I am an AA
there was another older AA woman who had lived in Nigeria 17 years...

So there was a panel on stage representing the three main areas of the country..Yoruba, Ibo and Hausa-Fulani...each person
spoke on a topic important to Nigeria as a whole and gave some historical background...The Ibo woman spoke and implied
in her presentation that the Northerners were stupid..

The older AA woman whom I sat with said "Uh-oh" then she said "Watch this"...So the presentations were given followed by
a Q & A period...All of the Northerners stormed to the the microphone lead by my friend who invited me in the first place..

The tension became very high and it almost became a shouting match..Being an American, this tribal stuff is deep to me.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
There's more than 47 nations in Africa.
Most of them have more in common with each other than any of them has with a non-African counry.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I don't that I'm asking much at all, considering the role that this country plays in the world.
Jesus, what kind of idiot writes a sentence like that? Where is the freaking word "THINK?"

Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,627,503 times
Quote:
This is readily apparent from the discussions on City-Data, that remind me a cover of The New Yorker magazine and this is particularly true when the discussion if filled with racial overtones... there are these countries in north African and then there is this sub-saharan Africa that's this homogeneous land of dark people.
Don't forget that people always assume that North or "Middle Eastern" Africa is also completely disconnected from "Sub-Saharan" or "Black" Africa culturally, politically, genetically, and historically. People actually think there was no trade across the Saharan until Islam and/or European/Arab invasion. People also think there are no "black" people that are indigenous to North Africa. People also like to put Ancient Egypt outside of Africa, like it definitely wasn't a product of African people, especially if they are dark skinned with kinky hair. People have some really stupid ideas about African history and culture.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
People have some really stupid ideas about African history and culture.
I call it the Other Out of Africa Theory. When it became irrefutable that the ancient Egyptians were "Caucasians" then Egypt had to be moved out of Africa to the middle east when African Americans started to cite Egypt as an early African culture (of course too many Afro-centrist took the argument too far). But this northward movement had to continue when evidence began to emerge about Ku****e civilization which had to be moved north of the Sahara to maintain that other Africaness of sub-Saharan people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa