U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 AM
 
271 posts, read 292,667 times
Reputation: 300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Two, I don't understand how anyone with a means to leave South Africa, doesn't?
Most people will give you a couple of reasons. It's expensive; it's difficult; people don't want to leave their friends and families behind; if you have the money and live in a decent area you can more or less avoid the crime; people who do leave often do come back after a year or 2 saying that they missed home too much.

It kinda sounds like being in a bad abusive relationship sometimes, but there is still a lot of beauty in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Most people will give you a couple of reasons. It's expensive; it's difficult; people don't want to leave their friends and families behind; if you have the money and live in a decent area you can more or less avoid the crime; people who do leave often do come back after a year or 2 saying that they missed home too much.

It kinda sounds like being in a bad abusive relationship sometimes, but there is still a lot of beauty in the country.
Well, you are in Johannesburg right now.

What have you personally seen or experiences the last few weeks? Are these photos of people walking around protecting themselves with machetes, just sensational images you ONLY see on TV? Or are you going to your workplace and hearing stories of friends and families seeing this while they are driving around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM
 
271 posts, read 292,667 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, you are in Johannesburg right now.

What have you personally seen or experiences the last few weeks? Are these photos of people walking around protecting themselves with machetes, just sensational images you ONLY see on TV? Or are you going to your workplace and hearing stories of friends and families seeing this while they are driving around?
Well the attacks are mainly in Alexandra, which is about 6km away from where I work (Sandton) and about 12km from where I stay (Bryanston, Sandton). Personally I don't see people walking around with machetes here and haven't heard any friends or family seeing this.

What I do see though is company emails asking to donate any items to help and support the people who have been affected by it. Along with another email saying that if anyone at the company is anxious or fearful then they must speak to their manager and then they provided some numbers/emails for people to contact.

My office is mix of nationalities and the 3 Zimbabwean guys on my team don't seem too phased by any of it so my assumption is that unless I go and drive through the townships (Alexandra,Soweto, Zwatkops, Diepsloot, etc) then I'm more than likely not going to see it first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
I have a friend who's gonna exchange to South Africa this fall and he's gonna be staying there for a year. He's going to Stellenbosch Uni and I hope he'll come back here with both his arms and legs.

Is the crime problem in South Africa really that bad? And is it specifically dangerous for foreigners? Or say, is it any worse for Asians? I mean Idk...he said he's a little bit scared(and excited at the same time, of course) but we really don't know much about this country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Just came across this Journeyman Film from 2005...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBuQU0uP6BM

Looks like what is being talked about in international news, has been going on for a long time already...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It appears that foreign Africans are currently the scapegoat for the high unemployment and high crime rates in South Africa.

Anyone have a good understanding of the curent situation in South Africa?

South Africa xenophobia attacks spread - CNN.com
Imagine the reactions of people if this happened in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 PM
 
271 posts, read 292,667 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I have a friend who's gonna exchange to South Africa this fall and he's gonna be staying there for a year. He's going to Stellenbosch Uni and I hope he'll come back here with both his arms and legs.

Is the crime problem in South Africa really that bad? And is it specifically dangerous for foreigners? Or say, is it any worse for Asians? I mean Idk...he said he's a little bit scared(and excited at the same time, of course) but we really don't know much about this country...
Your friend is going to be fine. Stellies is pretty chilled from what I've heard If you/him have any questions just send me a PM or start a new thread (don't want to derail this 1 too much )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
AFP AFP started this thread
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Imagine the reactions of people if this happened in the United States

The national guard would be called in you definately wouldn't have people running around with machete's to protect themselves, but yes it would cause quite a stir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 8,593,124 times
Reputation: 1006
South Africa is a land of extremes, very racist (Boers/Afrikaners) and very xenophobic (Blacks who are Bantu-speakers). People are still psychologically prisoners of the Apartheid regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM
 
271 posts, read 292,667 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
South Africa is a land of extremes, very racist (Boers/Afrikaners) and very xenophobic (Blacks who are Bantu-speakers). People are still psychologically prisoners of the Apartheid regime.
Seriously??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top