U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,235,492 times

Advertisements

It appears that foreign Africans are currently the scapegoat for the high unemployment and high crime rates in South Africa.

Anyone have a good understanding of the curent situation in South Africa?

South Africa xenophobia attacks spread - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 AM

274 posts, read 293,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It appears that foreign Africans are currently the scapegoat for the high unemployment and high crime rates in South Africa.

It's not the first time this has happened.

A lot of the time it ends up being opportunists. These are the people who'll join in just to loot and get free stuff. The initial spark for this though came from recent comments from 1 of the Kings for the foreigners to go home

Foreigners must go home

Followed by people such as Jacob Zuma's son also adding fuel to the fire

Foreigners do as they please in SA

The basics of it are that there are a lot of illegal immigrants in the townships. These immigrants normally set up shop and start running a small spaza shop. This creates competition for the locals and this in turn incites violence as the Government fails to find a peaceful solution and the locals want a solution now.

Add to that that we're already in a bit of a tense situation where you have the EFF fueling the fire from a different angle that people must take what they want (recently in the form of land grabs)

EFF land grab at Ballito - Crime & Courts | IOL News

And then you've got them fueling the fire that all the colonial statues must be removed. This came in the form of students at UCT throwing faeces at the statue of Cecil John Rhodes

Protesters throw poo on Rhodes statue - Western Cape | IOL News

AND add to that we currently have a power crisis where your power gets shut off every day for a few hours depending on how much load is on the system. Typically it's 4 hours but we have Stages 1-4. Since winter has just started it means it's only going to get worse. Apparently we've been told that we can expect this for the next 2 years.

Eskom hits Stage 2 load shedding on Friday

This must look like the most negative post ever >.< The positive is people are definitely trying to spread the word that we are not xenophobic and that is not what South Africa is about

I guess I can never complain the news is ever boring here I mean this is only about 1 week of all the headline news, let alone all the smaller news bits >.<

Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Interesting! I only really know about it from African friends.

It sounds like Soweto and Durban are two areas that seem to be coming up. I also read some were calling it 'Afrophobia' because it was mostly hate crimes against their fellow Africans who aren't from South Africa.

Resentment of others coming in from other countries, starting up small businesses, and being successful. What a mess.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 AM

931 posts, read 613,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting! I only really know about it from African friends.

It sounds like Soweto and Durban are two areas that seem to be coming up. I also read some were calling it 'Afrophobia' because it was mostly hate crimes against their fellow Africans who aren't from South Africa.

Resentment of others coming in from other countries, starting up small businesses, and being successful. What a mess.
Irish,Chinese,and Italian Immigrants also experienced something like this in America. Humans are all the same, what is the point of learning history if you are going to repeat the same mistakes over and over again?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Humans are all the same, what is the point of learning history if you are going to repeat the same mistakes over and over again?
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel — 'The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.'

Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM

63 posts, read 74,302 times
It may be that SA feel inferior to other African. Why would they say fellow African should leave because they are successful in their businesses and take job meant for them. They should get improved and smarter. As a citizen of SA how will employers not give them job but foreigners if they have the qualification and experience? How will foreigners beat them in business if they are masters in that field of business? They should 'chop up'

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 5,415,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

it sounds very chaotic:

South Africa immigrants create armed gangs and patrol the streets | Daily Mail Online

Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Sure does look chaotic it can't possibly lead to anything good all the guys running around with machete's. I mean those are limb chopping off weapons.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Those are some AMAZING photos as well...kudos to the photojournalist(s) in those photos!

One, MACHETES? Does that imply that guns are too expensive or difficult to get a hold of? Machetes are cheap? It seems crazy to walk around in the streets with a machete though!

Two, I don't understand how anyone with a means to leave South Africa, doesn't? I'm looking at some of the photos, and you have whites in their doing the anti-xenophobia message with the crowds as well. But one of the images has a white woman who had her car window smashed in, as well. I don't think I really understand racial relations that well in that country...

But, these xenophobia images are mostly black Africans protecting themselves. Which begs the other question, if they are just walking around the street, doesn't the machete brandish you as the obvious foreigner? If you weren't walking around with a machete, how would anyone even know you are the foreigner, if you are also black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or