Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Structurally, I think the common sentiment around the world, is 'no'. I think even among most South Africans, it might also be 'no'.

But, lately, I've been reading more about the Afrikaners, and it sounds like most really don't the education or are 'those types of people' who have the skills to 'compete' effectively, plus have now found their self in a system where they might even have some serious disadvantages or 'payback' from the apartheid system.

Nonetheless, I came across this Journeyman YouTube clip. I guess I didn't fully realize previously that around 10% of South Africans are white, and that there would be a lot of unemployment and homelessness around the more working-class types.

Interesting YouTube clip, for me anyways. Might be interesting to hear more discussion on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj0HdW2iDs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,144,953 times
Left behind, and many that aren't are being killed.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,827,738 times
How many whites left in South Africa ? not many, I fear.And I heard that in nearby Zimbabwe, there is practically no white people left, thanks to that madman Mugabe.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
How many whites left in South Africa ? not many, I fear.And I heard that in nearby Zimbabwe, there is practically no white people left, thanks to that madman Mugabe.
Not sure the total whites, but the Afrikaner-speaking (the ones with Dutch origins) are around 1 million....than there are other whites that are British origins...

It's around 10% of the total population anyways...

Old 04-24-2015, 06:40 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Maybe its payback? Two wrongs don't make a right but they must feel very angry about the past.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Maybe its payback? Two wrongs don't make a right but they must feel very angry about the past.
It is a bit baffling that the powers that were in South Africa devoted so much effort to creating BA ntustans without seeming to consider the possibility of creating their own nation to flee to after end of apartheid. I suppose most had the money and education to flee to Europe, America, or Australia while leaving the average afrikaan or boer to make the best they could of what would come,

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It is a bit baffling that the powers that were in South Africa devoted so much effort to creating BA ntustans without seeming to consider the possibility of creating their own nation to flee to after end of apartheid. I suppose most had the money and education to flee to Europe, America, or Australia while leaving the average afrikaan or boer to make the best they could of what would come,
Yep, it is very interesting they are trying to create that now.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,059 times
Quote:
I read an article saying South Africa hasn't changed much with Black South Africans still side-lined and discriminated against, one Woman said she wouldn't ever visit some parts of Cape Town due to racism.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:58 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,383,590 times
Quote:
Left behind, and many that aren't are being killed.
Murders are rampant. White South Africans are facing genocide.

FARMITRACKER

Quote:
I suppose most had the money and education to flee to Europe, America, or Australia while leaving the average afrikaan or boer to make the best they could of what would come,
True.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I read an article saying South Africa hasn't changed much with Black South Africans still side-lined and discriminated against, one Woman said she wouldn't ever visit some parts of Cape Town due to racism.
I had not heard this. That is a shame as well. If everyone is doing worse than they were before or even only as well as they were then I do not know what to say. I can't I've heard much good about the ANC government since Mandela was president, but you'd think there's got to be some group doing better than they were, or they'd vote for some other party into power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa