U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times

Advertisements

A spin-off from another thread: Khoisan, Colored, Bantu, Whites, Asiatics, Afrikaners. This might even be further divided into different whites, and could probably have Indian included as well.

So, who has the most 'long-term rights' to stay there? I'd argue that probably ALL of them do...but if one was to argue that one or two groups have more rights than others, for whatever reason, which would you argue?

Maybe part of this thread should be tied into the fact, that probably ALL of them have the rights to be there. But, for argument's sake, I'd like to hear various sides of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:14 AM

274 posts, read 293,175 times
Quote:
1955 - The ANC writes a 'Freedom Charter' stating that South Africa belongs to all people living within it regardless of race, that all South Africans should be treated equally before the law, and that the country's wealth should be distributed equitably.
Well if they just follow the idea from the Freedom Charter then there'd be no argument as we'd all be considered equal.

The distributed wealth equitably is a bit difficult. I rate you'd always have the different classes but in an ideal world it would be great if the starting point for the lower class at least had access to all the basics such as a proper brick house (even if small), water, electricity, internet, security, food. I guess the biggest problem is in order to even this out, they have to take from someone else. I agree with the concept, just not the implementation.

They seem to be trying to squeeze what the can out of the middle class while the wealth is primarily sitting with that small percentage at the top. Even in terms of jobs and education they are trying to go for a quick fix. Affirmative action has a concept should work.

That concept being to help previously disadvantaged people move into the modern society. However the implementation is just stating to rather hire a black person first over a white person without any mention of if they were previously disadvantaged. This is bad for both sides. As a white person you can excluded from bursaries and sometimes jobs, and as a black person you can get hired on the notion that it's based on your skin colour and not if they are the best person for the job (which they might have worked hard for and actually are)

Although that could probably be a thread on it's own

Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Well if they just follow the idea from the Freedom Charter then there'd be no argument as we'd all be considered equal.

The distributed wealth equitably is a bit difficult. I rate you'd always have the different classes but in an ideal world it would be great if the starting point for the lower class at least had access to all the basics such as a proper brick house (even if small), water, electricity, internet, security, food. I guess the biggest problem is in order to even this out, they have to take from someone else. I agree with the concept, just not the implementation.

They seem to be trying to squeeze what the can out of the middle class while the wealth is primarily sitting with that small percentage at the top. Even in terms of jobs and education they are trying to go for a quick fix. Affirmative action has a concept should work.

That concept being to help previously disadvantaged people move into the modern society. However the implementation is just stating to rather hire a black person first over a white person without any mention of if they were previously disadvantaged. This is bad for both sides. As a white person you can excluded from bursaries and sometimes jobs, and as a black person you can get hired on the notion that it's based on your skin colour and not if they are the best person for the job (which they might have worked hard for and actually are)

Although that could probably be a thread on it's own

I do not agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or