U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,287,871 times

Advertisements

Nobody here uses the phrase "Africa English" or "Trash English." I have a Nigerian coworker and we giggle at his English spelling for some words and some phrases that he uses that arent common here. Thats it. Nobody is mean to him about any of this. Apparently OP has been teased and is upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 PM

12,359 posts, read 18,454,883 times
Yup, OP, a first time poster, is upset about something. Most likely he will never post again to explain why he is upset or go into more detail.

A rant thread - dismiss it.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,864,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
"Africa English is called trash English by North Americans"

No, Africa English is NOT referred to that way by "North Americans" (of which I am one).

Rich
Completely agree with Rich!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,277,296 times
I'm asked about my accent at least twice a day for the last 21 years, but have never heard the terms "African English, or "Trash English".

Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,482,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegboys View Post
I want to say something for African students especially those that came from former British countries like Nigeria, South Africa Zimbabwe or Ghana and those that have learned their English in Africa .Including those that will be going to university in North America.
My best Advice to succeed in theses school and to be able to part of your school environment make sure you take ESL Class Z(English as a second language class) you will be able to become part of your school culture.

Africa English is called trash English by North Americans

The reasons am giving these my advice, is based on my experience in North America. If you are planning to attend University in North America whether you learned you English in Africa or you came from former British colony in Africa make sure you takes ESL so that other student will treat you the way they will be treated. If you don't then you will faced discrimination by your peers. You will be treated as an outcast.
Sorry man,. Seems your opinion is only your own.

Next time dont speak for all Americans and Canadians.

I to have never heard of the term, trash english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or