U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:55 PM

47,988 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I see this as well, as some countries are probably thinking that they weren't going to get said investment/aid anyway. So, whether they were or weren't homophobic may not make a difference in the eyes of people in particular countries due to other aspects.
That could be part of it. Another part of it could be that some officials see it as "we'd rather be broke than see those people in our country".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Before I moved to America the word Gay didn't exist, in my dictionary their was no people coming out etc. The gay population in the U.S is less than 2% yet it seems like 20 if you look at the media, The Gay Rights movement makes no sense to me because the gay population is generally low regardless of what country you go to etc. To say Gays are oppressed in Nigeria because they are not allowed to marry (I don't support this law) to me is like saying Muslims are oppressed in America because unlike Nigeria they aren't allowed to have multiple wives. I don't care if you are gay or not, I just don't want it shoved in my face, is the attitude that I an many young Africans share. The fact that Gay is an insult in America is funny as it wasn't until recently through American media that gay became and insult in Nigeria (It meant and always meant happy). The anti-gay law was only recently passed due to U.S media publicizing Gays. Older Africans may be anti-gay as many older people are in almost all countries, including The West.
My point is gay rights aren't a thing because the vast majority don't know a gay person to fight for, because their all either "in a closet" or they make up such a small percent of the population you wouldn't know who you where marching for.
The argument Nigerians use against Americans calling us backwards is that the U.S is backwards because having more than one wife is illegal, this is because America doesn't have a large population of people who believe in having more than one wife where more than 5% of Nigeria is Animistic and a good portion of Muslims in Nigeria believe in multiple wives. Because their is a lack of a vocal group of Gay people in Africa, they still makeup less than 1% of the population worldwide I believe, their is n't going to be any laws that are pro gay, add in the fact that rich people in the country are almost all over the age of 40, you can see why their is anti-gay sentiment. I don't believe in gay marriage and I am not against it I honestly just don''t care, as i have only know one gay person in my entire life.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:43 AM

831 posts, read 932,747 times
Sorry but you analogy is false..........in all Western countries you have the right to be a Muslim as opposed to Nigeria where being gay means a death or long prison penalty.

Also being a Muslim is, as with all religions, a choice where as homosexuality is not.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 PM

How is my analogy false my analogy was gay vs. polygamy.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:18 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,330,169 times
I have only visited the North African countries of Egypt and Morocco, three times to the former and twice to the latter.

I would like to visit Ethiopia. There are a lot of Ethiopian immigrants living here in West Philadelphia and there are no fewer than four Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants within 10 blocks of my house. Ethiopian cuisine is very good and I recommend it if you have never tried it. Ethiopians seem especially friendly and polite. There are many historic and beautiful things to see in Ethiopia.

One of the problems for North American tourists is the reports of crime. I remember back in 1990's when I was working on a British ship and serving in the Royal Merchant Navy the other crew members all had horror stories of being robbed in African ports like Dakar. When we were docked in Ismailia, Egypt, a company of machine-gun wielding police were dispatched to protect us and ride on our buses to Cairo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Before I moved to America the word Gay didn't exist, in my dictionary their was no people coming out etc. The gay population in the U.S is less than 2% yet it seems like 20 if you look at the media, The Gay Rights movement makes no sense to me because the gay population is generally low regardless of what country you go to etc. To say Gays are oppressed in Nigeria because they are not allowed to marry (I don't support this law) to me is like saying Muslims are oppressed in America because unlike Nigeria they aren't allowed to have multiple wives.
I disagree with your opinion. Gay people face real oppression and persecution in many African countries and it has nothing to do with legalizing same sex marriage. Gay people are harassed, tortured, and killed in many African countries. That is why you see increasing numbers of African gays seeking asylum in Canada and the US. I also disagree with the bogus claim of "only 2%" ... something that anti-gay Christian fundamentalists throw about. A lot of research has been done on LGBT demographics, mostly famously by the University of Indiana's Institute For Sex Research, and the real number of LGBT people is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5 - 6.5 %. People who are anti-gay have tried to underestimate the number of LGBT people. Gay people also try to overestimate, and I've heard the 10% claim made.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:13 AM

Reread my post. I am trying to say that gay people maybe in Nigeria but they make up such a small percent of people that they are not visible at all. Public opinion on gays in Nigeria were nonexistent because the 4% or whatever percent of gays in Nigeria either don't think their gay, don't know their gay, are in hiding from persecution to the point that even if Nigeria made a gay civil rights movement it would feel and look like we are only marching for no one, as not many born and raised in Nigeria would openly claim to be gay even if they were. i agree gay people face real persecution in Africa but when it looks like they are only killing or persecuting 3000 people out of millions it is almost like your unaffected and it is just something on the news. Until you personally know a gay person that has been treated wrong, it is just another news story to you. I personally don't share this sentiment but the majority of Africans don't know any gay people and didn't even think gays were real till this gay rights movement started in America that is when the anti gay laws came in. In Nigerian Movies there was never a gay/lesbian section like you see in U.S, Japanese and other modern countries. The sections were based on things Nigerians faced on a daily/weekly basis, so their are an extremely large majority of movies based on Witch Doctors and things like that.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:53 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
What do Jamaicans do? They sit around smoking dope all day and night. They're ignorant and prideful. They make good criminals ... and runners.

Read this again, and tell me if this doesn't make YOU look ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or