U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:43 PM

9,695 posts, read 15,894,765 times

Advertisements

RIP, Cecil

https://news.search.yahoo.com/search...d&fr=yfp-t-252

I can't read anymore of this article.....why, oh, why, did they do such a thing? A sweet, gentle, elderly lion, in a preserve, lured off the preserve so a "brave white hunter" could prove his "manhood" by killing it, and in a botched manner at that. He shot it with an arrow, which did NOT kill the poor thing, instead, he wandered for days, in agony, until the "brave white hunter" again found him and shot an killed him.

I hope this jacka$$ is pleased with himself. What does he plan to do, bring the body back to USA to stuff and mount on his wall so he can brag about he tortured, then killed, a helpless old animal? BTW, the entire hunting episode was illegal, but guess you can buy anything with enough money. Apparently this guy paid $55000 to have the lion lured out of his preserve, then placed in a vulnerable position so he could shoot it with a bow and arrow. Hope he's proud of himself----he probably is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM

At least here's something a bit more uplifting----

This Incredible Rescue of a Baby Monkey From a Brush Fire Might be the Sweetest Thing You See All Day (VIDEO) | One Green Planet

Now THAT'S a MAN!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 AM

48 posts, read 50,326 times
It's sad that he killed the most loved animal in Zimbabwe. People traveled half way across the world to see this beautiful animal. He must pay for his crime.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,218,676 times
I read that story. I hope it gets more publicity. Particularly with how national parks in Africa work. Kiling a lion in a national park is like killing one in near captivity.

The image is that the hunter hunted or stalked it like one might have 100 years ago. But the reality is all the local park rangers and guides drive by these same animals all day, all the time. To pull over to the side of the road, and allow a tourist to shoot one, should be treated as a serious crime.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:52 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,190,180 times
That poor lion, and poor Zimbabwe/Africa to lose such a beloved animal!

What is the thrill to shoot an animal who they got near enough for the hunter to know that he trusted humans? He said he didn't know it was a "special" lion. Well SO FREAKING WHAT? It is still now a dead animal senselessly killed all in the name of shooting a big game animal.

People like this dispicable man are the ones who encourage poaching because of the huge dollars the guides/poachers make from a kill. You can't tell me those guides didn't know they were luring an animal off a game reserve. They are probably dirt poor and this will feed their families for years.

I hope the American people boycott going to this dentist, so he can become dirt poor.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM

6,976 posts, read 12,506,495 times
This story has been all over the news today. Well that is between the nonstop foolishness about Tom Brady and his deflated footballs.

I think this story about Cecil is so sad. The Dentist that killed this poor lion, should face serious consequences. I heard on the news he has closed, his Dental Practice for the time being. That and he has gone into hiding. Well he wouldn't be my dentist, even before this terrible killing of Cecil. I find killing all these poor animals for pleasure, a disgrace to say the least.

I can only imagine with all the Mass Killings America has, and now this story about Cecil. Then the USA must look like nothing, but a bunch of gun toting killers to much of the world. It sickened me to see the picture of this Dentist, in his battle fatigues on his way to kill animals.

I also hope people boycott this Dentist and he feels the pain of his action. If he has $50,000 to throw down to kill these poor animals. Then its time he is put out of business and fast.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,375,509 times
Poaching is bad. But how many millions of animals are killed for food every day? I guess the difference here is that the lion had a name. As for big game hunting - it brings in a lot of money to some very poor countries that would otherwise have little incentive to set aside areas for game parks or to otherwise preserve species and habitat.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This story has been all over the news today. Well that is between the nonstop foolishness about Tom Brady and his deflated footballs.

I think this story about Cecil is so sad. The Dentist that killed this poor lion, should face serious consequences. I heard on the news he has closed, his Dental Practice for the time being. That and he has gone into hiding. Well he wouldn't be my dentist, even before this terrible killing of Cecil. I find killing all these poor animals for pleasure, a disgrace to say the least.

I can only imagine with all the Mass Killings America has, and now this story about Cecil. Then the USA must look like nothing, but a bunch of gun toting killers to much of the world. It sickened me to see the picture of this Dentist, in his battle fatigues on his way to kill animals.

I also hope people boycott this Dentist and he feels the pain of his action. If he has $50,000 to throw down to kill these poor animals. Then its time he is put out of business and fast.

More than likely, even if he's put out of business, he won't go hungry. His dental practice is probably only one source of income. More than likely he has other "side businesses" like part-ownership in dental equipment supply companies, maybe he does teaching, the lecture circuits, etc, not to mention his investments, etc. Its hard to make a rich man poor........

Old 07-29-2015, 11:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,756,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Poaching is bad. But how many millions of animals are killed for food every day? I guess the difference here is that the lion had a name. As for big game hunting - it brings in a lot of money to some very poor countries that would otherwise have little incentive to set aside areas for game parks or to otherwise preserve species and habitat.
No, xeric....the difference here is that the lion was senselessly killed so some creep could have another trophy on his wall. If you put that in the same category as food, I assume you are vegan as well as ignorant.

And I"m so sick of that "brings money to the community" excuse for killing.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:53 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,218,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
The National Parks are the big business for those countries. They charge tourist often close to $1000-2000 to take a go in with tour guides on safaris. Those fees go to paying for preservation and all of the jobs they create as well, as guides money.

All of these animals are very familiar to all these many guides all day, everyday. It's almost like a zoo, but out in the open.

In this case, some very unethical locals brought a very unethical american into a famous park, threw a slab of dead meat carcass, to slowly lure out of the park lines, and had the american shoot it, and take pictures of his kill.

The American wasn't trekking a lion with some hunting skills he had. These days, they drive into the national park; and all day everyday, these animals are being shot by tourist cameras. That's all that happens all the time. Slowly luring out across the lines, just so some American can shoot it, it just ridiculous on a lot of levels.

It's kind of like your neighbor luring your house pet cat into his property, shooting it, and mounting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa