Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM

45 posts, read 155,527 times

Advertisements

What would your top priorities be if you were the president of Africa?

Here is some guideline questions, feel free to add more.

1.Where would you like the capital of Africa to be and why?
2. How would you grow the economy?
3. How would you adress social issue's like religious freedoms, poverty, tribalism?
4. What would be your main foreign policy?
5. Which countries would be favorable trading and investment partners for our nation of Africa?
6. How would you interact with black/berber people outside of Africa?
7. How would preserve the environment and beauty of Africa's wildlife and nature?
8. How would you run the military and what would be top priorities for them on a vast continent, how many personel, any specific emphasize etc?
9. How would you tackle corruption in the government in all areas and branches, and in society?
10. What would you like to have achieved in office in 2 terms of each five years(10 years total)?
Attached Thumbnails
If you were the president of the entire coninent of Africa?!-africa-unite.jpg   If you were the president of the entire coninent of Africa?!-africa-unite-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,434,218 times
To quit.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM

653 posts, read 743,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysholic View Post
to quit.
:d

Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
To quit.
Lol you would be the one who would open a swiss bank account right after assuming office xd

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautymustbeseen View Post
What would your top priorities be if you were the president of Africa?

Here is some guideline questions, feel free to add more.

3. How would you adress social issue's like religious freedoms, poverty, tribalism?
5. Which countries would be favorable trading and investment partners for our nation of Africa?
7. How would preserve the environment and beauty of Africa's wildlife and nature?
8. How would you run the military and what would be top priorities for them on a vast continent, how many personel, any specific emphasize etc?
9. How would you tackle corruption in the government in all areas and branches, and in society?
10. What would you like to have achieved in office in 2 terms of each five years(10 years total)?
While I don't know what my top priorities would be, I'll take a stab at answering those guideline questions.

1) I'd actually advocate for having several capitals, including one in the south (probably Cape Town), one in the east (probably Addis Ababa), one in the west (either Accra or Lagos), and one in the north (probably Tunis or Rabat).

2) I'd work to make Africa friendly to manufacturers (a new China, India, etc.) through investment in equipment, etc.

3) There would be religious freedom at the national level, while tribal customs and traditions could still govern at lower, regional levels if agreed to by citizens. For poverty, see answer for no. 2 above, in addition to investing in education, etc.

4) See no. 2 above.

5) When trying to build the economy, my only concern in taking on economic partners would be "is this country/government able to deliver on the goods?"

6) They are as welcome as anyone else is to visit and invest.

7) Don't have solid answer for that yet.

8) I'd have a standing army, but also a revolutionary guards corps, whose sole job would be to repel internal threats (i.e. coups etc.). And I'd make sure that officers were chosen by merit, not by family name, etc., which I feel would help lessen chance of coups.

9) Don't have solid answer for that yet.

10) Lower percentage of my countrymen and women living in poverty and higher percentage earning a living wage.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Foreign policy other than economics, but nice try anyway!

Israel would be a neighbour, how would approach the situation regarding human rights of the occupied people? How would you view the Ukraine situation and what would be your stance? Tensions in the South China Sea? Or would you be more subservient against large trade and investment partners?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 PM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Foreign policy as I see fit! I'm the president Seriously, though, my foreign policy would be economics-based, not human rights based, at least primarily. I'd be concerned with entering into agreements with foreign nations that helped to improve Africa's economic well-being. While also important, I'd be less concerned with lecturing the Chinese, etc., on human rights issues.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 AM

906 posts, read 711,857 times
I'm from Africa and I don't think a united Africa is possible or even ideal. There is sub saharan black Christian Africa and Arab Muslim Africa. That divide is too wide..but, for fun..

The socio political capital of Africa isn't really a debate. Addis Ababa, for cultural and historical and geopolitcal reasons.

The economy isn't weak as it is. I would erase debts to the World Bank. I would emphasize trade in Africa and deemphasize European/foreign trade. I would set up regional specializations. I would improve transportation infrastructure, advancing beyond the automobile. I would emphasize academic research. I would set up energy plants, probably solar. I would enact a single currency. I would build a stronger, centralized, army. I would make education free for everyone at all stages and fund research projects. I would not rely on foreign investment for infrastructure and reward government tenders to locals as a rule. I would stop buying or selling anything to foreigners except where necessary, instead looking to regional specialization.

I would enact and enforce a basic bill of rights applicable to all men regardless of race, creed, tribe, or color. I would remove foreign aid services (un) and replace them with domestic charity services. I would guarantee every man a starter job by providing mass government employment in various sectors. I would celebrate tribalism and enact a common language to be learned besides all the various vernaculars throughout Africa. I would include in that bill a provision ensuring a basic standard of healthcare. I would give each tribe the power necessary to rule their own people, within reason..I would decentralize power and hand large amounts of ability to the various tribal leaders, chiefs and kings and queens and elders and warriors and medicine men, and include them in the decision making. I would not have members of parliament or a cabinet, I will have a council of men and women composed of tribally determined leaders, however each tribe determines them. I would embrace tribe, not forsake it.

Separatist. I will have embassies in all foreign countries, but I would deemphasize trade with them. Foreign nationals could come and visit but would need to apply for residency to stay, very few would be successful.

Very few, and whoever could provide the most incentive. No idealogical preferences. China, Russia, Europe or USA..it's about the money. Best price wins, they can compete for it. I rather we burned our excess than give it away at an unfair price. We would only sell our excess as a rule, and only buy when necessary.

Open door policy, business incentives. They are welcome to come back and live anytime, but they must forsake foreign allegiances in that process, even if gradually. Perhaps their children lose their foreign citizenship. No snakes.

The current system isn't broken.

The top priority is secret, but the obvious is internal peacekeeping and scientific research. There will be an airforce, a landforce, and a sea force. Yes, I would develop a nuclear weapon. Overall emphasis is self protection with a mind towards colonization of a certain somewhere.

I would understand why corruption is the grease that makes Africa's capitalistic gears turn and work to alleviate the underlying problem, but I wouldn't work to curb what is called corruption by the West directly. It is something that is perhaps a system in and of itself, a sort of public assistance program borne from need, so I would work to legitimize and regulate it hoping to stop its abuse but not to totally eliminate it.

The eradication of term limits, for starters. Umm, an interconnected African university system. Advanced and cutting edge infrastructure. Free education. Better social net policies. Access to the basics of life for everyone. Better hospitals, advanced scientific research centers. A flag on the moon. A successful world cup team. A sense of self belief and optimism and self pride amongst all Africans. A sense of closure for the ills of colonization, racism, and slavery. Self sustainability, no foreign reliance. A more respectable global position. A strong military.

My top priorities would be the development of our languages, the eradication of poverty and slums, a strong army, a deemphasis of western culture and media, scientific research and development, self sustainability, a separatist foreign policy, a space program, agrarian development, energy independence, cutting edge infrastructure, and the world cup, mang..

Last edited by gumisgood; 08-10-2015 at 05:39 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 AM

922 posts, read 805,693 times
The whole concept of Pan-African nation is ridiculous. Africa is too big and complicated.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,107 times
I would quit. Africa will never be successful, whether it is 1 nation or 54 nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa