U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM
 
45 posts, read 99,045 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

The US has a knack for imposing their views on Africans, should Africans stop taking US aid so they won't be easily manipulated by the US in doing what they actually don't want to do. They recently cut Ugandan aid because they refused to adopt and legalize the gay issue. The US should stop imposing their views on African countries it's in their own sovereign right to decide what path to follow.

It's not only the gay issue but also like food aid policy where famine struck countries are forced to open their markets while the US market stays closed for their produce, which in turn cause a cycle of dependency.

Africa in my view should stop taking agricultural goods from the United States and focus on their own capacity, this won't go down well with the WTO and IMF and US may withold investment. But overall history has shown that once countries get agriculturally efficient, farmers get better payed, other industries will flourish.

North-African countries would be able to get better food security by having mutiple suppliers in Sub-Saharan Africa if they invest in the infrastructure between Sub-Sahara and North Africa. The Arab spring is very much about high food prices than anything else, once the bread becomes unaffordable people will riot.

Sub-Saharan countries should stop taking US handouts and break down most of their WTO and IMF agreements which benefits the developed nations much more than Africa, but they have to do that together and have clear roadmap to make them less dependent.

Africa should also enforce the payment of taxes by multinational companies who more than often via schemes rob Africa around 400 billion USD every year!!

Africa should follow Chinese style of patent breaking and produce medicine regardless of patents. Medicine they can't make should be still payed for, but if they can they should close that specific product for foreign competitors who are very expensive.

What do you think, should Africa close some of it's markets and be determined to develop it's own domestic economies or still keep this free for all strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 13,024,310 times
Reputation: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautymustbeseen View Post
The US has a knack for imposing their views on Africans, should Africans stop taking US aid so they won't be easily manipulated by the US in doing what they actually don't want to do. They recently cut Ugandan aid because they refused to adopt and legalize the gay issue. The US should stop imposing their views on African countries it's in their own sovereign right to decide what path to follow.

It's not only the gay issue but also like food aid policy where famine struck countries are forced to open their markets while the US market stays closed for their produce, which in turn cause a cycle of dependency.

Africa in my view should stop taking agricultural goods from the United States and focus on their own capacity, this won't go down well with the WTO and IMF and US may withold investment. But overall history has shown that once countries get agriculturally efficient, farmers get better payed, other industries will flourish.

North-African countries would be able to get better food security by having mutiple suppliers in Sub-Saharan Africa if they invest in the infrastructure between Sub-Sahara and North Africa. The Arab spring is very much about high food prices than anything else, once the bread becomes unaffordable people will riot.

Sub-Saharan countries should stop taking US handouts and break down most of their WTO and IMF agreements which benefits the developed nations much more than Africa, but they have to do that together and have clear roadmap to make them less dependent.

Africa should also enforce the payment of taxes by multinational companies who more than often via schemes rob Africa around 400 billion USD every year!!

Africa should follow Chinese style of patent breaking and produce medicine regardless of patents. Medicine they can't make should be still payed for, but if they can they should close that specific product for foreign competitors who are very expensive.

What do you think, should Africa close some of it's markets and be determined to develop it's own domestic economies or still keep this free for all strategy?
Agreed but then the US needs to stop importing stuff from Africa AND stop all immigration from there IF we're gonna go there.

Too; countries like Botswana really don't have any reason to do what you're saying, it's messed up places like Zimbabwe that'd love to stick a finger into the eye of the US. But that can go both ways real fast. Too; China will try to take over and, the Chinese don't play nice. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 AM
 
931 posts, read 614,962 times
Reputation: 1488
USAid program is insanely corrupt, they don't want to help Africans, it is just a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
 
45 posts, read 99,045 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
USAid program is insanely corrupt, they don't want to help Africans, it is just a scam.
Agreed it helps ofcourse for a while but you will be stuck with it if it goes to long. US AID is another form of colonialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 04:26 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,684 posts, read 8,496,194 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Too; China will try to take over and, the Chinese don't play nice. Oh well.
I get a real kick out of all the people on this forum who are blind to Chinese imperialism. Some of these posters even argue that Chinese imperialism is good because they supposedly "don't make deals with strings attached like the evil Americans and western Europeans".

Apparently imperialism is only wrong when it's the US and/or western Europe behind it. China, Russia, Indonesia, etc can make all the landgrabs and colonization schemes they want and it's a-ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,684 posts, read 8,496,194 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautymustbeseen View Post
Agreed it helps ofcourse for a while but you will be stuck with it if it goes to long. US AID is another form of colonialism.
If USAID is "colonization" then what do you call the real Chinese colonization of Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 04:28 PM
 
45 posts, read 99,045 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed but then the US needs to stop importing stuff from Africa AND stop all immigration from there IF we're gonna go there.

Too; countries like Botswana really don't have any reason to do what you're saying, it's messed up places like Zimbabwe that'd love to stick a finger into the eye of the US. But that can go both ways real fast. Too; China will try to take over and, the Chinese don't play nice. Oh well.
Agreed, to each it own. It will hurt the US much more than Africa in the long run. Botswana is an nation of 2 million 80% of their GDP depend on mining, if US stops buying no problem. Enough other countries will.

It would be good for Africans not to move to racist America. But let's be real US will be declaring all kinds of wars against african goverments if they block agreements by their puppet Organization of WTO. Africa needs to be totally food independent.

It's crazy that a continent like Africa with way more arable land has to import gm **** from the United States. Africa needs to make a stance against racism in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 AM
 
907 posts, read 557,195 times
Reputation: 571
The short answer is yes, but gradually. Africa should aim for regional specialization, inter African trade, self sustainability and the easing of Western influence in general. A reduction in foreign aid acceptance would be included in this. The bad news for the West is that Africa knows this now and future generations are probably not going to be as cooperative in this as the current old guard is as many Africans have finally woken up to what has been going on and it will be demanded of the leaders by the general population.

If Africa were to unilaterally cease trade with Europe and the U.S. for 10 years as a consequence of undue social influence due to incentivized aid policies, we could probably levy our improved relationship with the Asian powers against the Western powers in order to erase our debts to them completely, and even to pay the common African farmer as handsomely as he has always deserved from the West's own pocket. It isn't what should happen, it is what is going to happen.

They call it foreign aid but the harsh truth is that it helps them more than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,249,541 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
The short answer is yes, but gradually. Africa should aim for regional specialization, inter African trade, self sustainability and the easing of Western influence in general. A reduction in foreign aid acceptance would be included in this. The bad news for the West is that Africa knows this now and future generations are probably not going to be as cooperative in this as the current old guard is as many Africans have finally woken up to what has been going on and it will be demanded of the leaders by the general population.

If Africa were to unilaterally cease trade with Europe and the U.S. for 10 years as a consequence of undue social influence due to incentivized aid policies, we could probably levy our improved relationship with the Asian powers against the Western powers in order to erase our debts to them completely, and even to pay the common African farmer as handsomely as he has always deserved from the West's own pocket. It isn't what should happen, it is what is going to happen.

They call it foreign aid but the harsh truth is that it helps them more than us.

Then where would the African elite hide their embezzled cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 PM
 
907 posts, read 557,195 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Then where would the African elite hide their embezzled cash?
The African elite's main assets remain in Africa..it's mostly large amounts of land and major African corporations that make them wealthy. The money that translates to is hardly the point..beyond a point, wealth is not indicated by cash.

The real question is, where will the African elite hide themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top