Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The Khoisan's coloration could also be the original coloration before groups diverged and the darker people's living along the equator could have adapted.
It is fascinating that even as we learn more about human populations through genetics some folks just can't let go of using morphology to distinguish between different populations of humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautymustbeseen View Post
So what? Many africans carry ''Eurasian'' dna. Actually so-called ''Eurasian'' dna started off in Ethiopia aka Africa. The Khoisans don't have ''Eurasian'' phenotypes like Horn of Africans. Khoisans look more like Chinese/Koreans in phenotype aka mongoloid or strictly ''asian''.
That is still in dispute currently two possibilities are being considered on the origins of MtDNA(maternal) M1 there is evidence pointing to Eurasia and Africa. Do you have anything you can post that substantiates your claim. There is evidence to show that the M Asiatic clades are older than the African.

Last edited by AFP; 08-13-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That is still in dispute currently two possibilities are being considered on the origins of MtDNA(maternal) M1 there is evidence pointing to Eurasia and Africa. Do you have anything you can post that substantiates your claim. There is evidence to show that the M Asiatic clades are older than the African.
Does this offer any help?

The African Origin of mtDNA Haplogroup M1 | Clyde Winters - Academia.edu

Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

I'm familiar with those arguments M1 is more diverse and numerous in Africa but it still isn't clear that the mutation originally occurred in an individual living in Africa because some M1 clades found in Asia are older but it is also important to consider that regarding DNA(direct line maternal and paternal lineages) is that many twigs on the various branches that once existed have died out. It isn't surprising that M1 is found throughout Africa people migrate, however overall I lean towards an East African origin based on the various sources I have read but we'll see as more studies come out.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Very interesting

I wonder if the Nigerian Igbo's and Rwandan Tutsi's also have some admixture since many people of those tribes have lighter skin and thinner features.
It could be. I once saw a report about some group in Mali that was on the lighter side of things regarding their color, and genetic testing brought to light that they are admixed with Euro. It's a very old mixture that until recently no one knew about. So if that's the case in Mali, it can definitely apply in other areas of western Africa. I guess more complete genetic study must be done before this mystery can be settled.

I'm also inclined to think that any individuals along the immediate western African coast with lighter than average skin tones probably have more recent Euro admixed, and by recent I mean in the past 500 years or less. People often forget that the Europeans tended to stay on the coast because penetrating the African hinterland was a death sentence waiting to happen due to all sorts of mosquito-borne diseases Euros have no immunity towards. It would be foolish to think that those European, who were overwhelmingly male, living for months and even years on the African coast, remained celibate. Plenty of liaisons must had taken place up and down the African coast. Much of it was probably the result of mutual attraction too. People often like exotic looks, and even today for most Africans white people are very exotic. While it varies greatly whether men find African female faces attractive, one thing that is more or less widespread is the appreciation of the graceness of African female bodies. African women (and African-descendants) more often than not have beautiful bodies that if she wants can easily lure most of the men she wanted even if they don't find her face attractive.

I'm sure there were homosexual liaisons too, but there is not a single living proof of that. lol

Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That probably explains why the Khoisan have a lighter skin tone, although among Ethiopians the European genes tend show through their facial features and the texture of their hair.

I'm sure the Neanderthal amounts are lower than is typical. At least on many people of Euro/Afro mix that I share with on 23andme, many of the people with greater Afro genes hace very low Neanderthal genes as a percentage of their genome while the whiter people tend to have much more, some are almost 4% Neanderthal. I can't say how this works with Asians or other people that don't have ties to Africa/Europe/America because I don't share with any of them on 23andme.

All of this goes to show that once a mixture takes place, it may be diluted but you can never get rid of it completely.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,943 times
Default Khoisan tribes of Southern Africa

they do look a lot different than northern Africans
Attached Thumbnails
The Khoisan tribes of Southern Africa Carry Eurasian DNA-mg_5819.jpg   The Khoisan tribes of Southern Africa Carry Eurasian DNA-3874556796_e54e1341b3.jpg   The Khoisan tribes of Southern Africa Carry Eurasian DNA-tumblr_lys1jjlvzy1r4cwb5o2_400.jpg   The Khoisan tribes of Southern Africa Carry Eurasian DNA-tumblr_mbu9khyekb1roafx4o1_500.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM

There is some indication that the Khoisan at one time were the largest population on earth although much more research needs to be done.

http://news.sciencemag.org/africa/20...s-group-planet

Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 PM

[quote=TheWiseWino;40806686]It is fascinating that even as we learn more about human populations through genetics some folks just can't let go of using morphology to distinguish between different populations of humans.[/QUOTE]

Some people are fascinated by the differences and the diversity.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
they do look a lot different than northern Africans
Yes they do in addition I think they are the only African people that speak a click language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WO5XabD-s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa