Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in addition Neanderthal DNA has also been found in the Yoruba due to back migration estimated to have occurred 3,000 YBP.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...vealed-in-dna/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM

45 posts, read 155,527 times
So what? Many africans carry ''Eurasian'' dna. Actually so-called ''Eurasian'' dna started off in Ethiopia aka Africa. The Khoisans don't have ''Eurasian'' phenotypes like Horn of Africans. Khoisans look more like Chinese/Koreans in phenotype aka mongoloid or strictly ''asian''.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautymustbeseen View Post
So what? Many africans carry ''Eurasian'' dna. Actually so-called ''Eurasian'' dna started off in Ethiopia aka Africa. The Khoisans don't have ''Eurasian'' phenotypes like Horn of Africans. Khoisans look more like Chinese/Koreans in phenotype aka mongoloid or strictly ''asian''.

If it isn't interesting to you then it isn't no need to be rude. Did you read the article? The article discusses why that is significant. It is defined as Eurasian due to back migration estimated at 3,000 YBP. I have no idea why you're going on about mongoloid phenotypes that isn't relevant to the article.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Very cool! Thanks, OP!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very cool! Thanks, OP!

I thought so as well it's amazing what DNA is revealing regarding our species. As you likely already know the Khoisan are considered on of the original population clusters they are the most genetically diverse ancestral population cluster.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I thought so as well it's amazing what DNA is revealing regarding our species. As you likely already know the Khoisan are considered on of the original population clusters they are the most genetically diverse ancestral population cluster.
Well, previously it was thought they gave rise to the Asiatics, but maybe it's a little bit the other way around? I haven't read the whole article yet. I have only limited computer time for the time being. And yeah, I'm very much enjoying the human DNA miigration story, as it unfolds.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
That probably explains why the Khoisan have a lighter skin tone, although among Ethiopians the European genes tend show through their facial features and the texture of their hair.

I'm sure the Neanderthal amounts are lower than is typical. At least on many people of Euro/Afro mix that I share with on 23andme, many of the people with greater Afro genes hace very low Neanderthal genes as a percentage of their genome while the whiter people tend to have much more, some are almost 4% Neanderthal. I can't say how this works with Asians or other people that don't have ties to Africa/Europe/America because I don't share with any of them on 23andme.

All of this goes to show that once a mixture takes place, it may be diluted but you can never get rid of it completely.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-12-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That probably explains why the Khoisan have a lighter skin tone, although among Ethiopians the European genes tend show through their facial features and the texture of their hair.

I'm sure the Neanderthal amounts are lower than is typical. At least on many people of Euro/Afro mix that I share with on 23andme, many of the people with greater Afro genes hace very low Neanderthal genes as a percentage of their genome while the whiter people tend to have much more, some are almost 4% Neanderthal. I can't say how this works with Asians or other people that don't have ties to Africa/Europe/America because I don't share with any of them on 23andme.

All of this goes to show that once a mixture takes place, it may be diluted but you can never get rid of it completely.

Difficult to say their coloring could also be an adaptation to having lived in the southern periphery of the African continent for a long time. The problem is scientists don't know for sure exactly which part of Africa modern humans originate from. The Khoisan's coloration could also be the original coloration before groups diverged and the darker people's living along the equator could have adapted.

We diverged from apes 5-6 million years ago in Africa chimpanzees our closest cousins aren't dark under their fur and are born significantly lighter they also apparently receive adequate vitamins from their diet.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
Very interesting

I wonder if the Nigerian Igbo's and Rwandan Tutsi's also have some admixture since many people of those tribes have lighter skin and thinner features.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Very interesting

I wonder if the Nigerian Igbo's and Rwandan Tutsi's also have some admixture since many people of those tribes have lighter skin and thinner features.
The Tutsi are about 80% Bantu and 20% east African pastoralists. The Igbo are closest genetically to the Yoruba two groups with very minimal trace admixture from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa