U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:26 AM

47 posts, read 26,676 times

Advertisements

Somebody from South Africa is a South African. Ditto for a Nigerian, Kenyan etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 AM

11,701 posts, read 6,290,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In the U.S. African-American means black

Are South-Africans African-American? Yes they are
Do they call themselves that way? I really doubt it

Same reason people from Europe don't call themselves "European-American"
No, it doesn't. At least not to those who are actually black. You don't really hear recent African immigrants refer to themselves as "African American." The same goes for black Americans of West Indian descent. There is an understanding that African American refers to an ethnic group of individuals who are descendants of African slaves in the US.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 AM

38 posts, read 35,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, it doesn't. At least not to those who are actually black. You don't really hear recent African immigrants refer to themselves as "African American." The same goes for black Americans of West Indian descent. There is an understanding that African American refers to an ethnic group of individuals who are descendants of African slaves in the US.
Then why is Obama called the first African American president?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In the U.S. African-American means black

Are South-Africans African-American? Yes they are
Do they call themselves that way? I really doubt it

Same reason people from Europe don't call themselves "European-American"
What's the reason for that? None of the white people I know (including my family) call themselves European, but they always identify as Italian, German, Polish, French, whatever country in Europe their family came from.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:53 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,000,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
American isn't even a race. Unless your Native American.
And even then, it is a collection of ethnicities (tribes) and not a distinct race as native americans are very distantly asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern400 View Post
Dang, a good point. Though i dont dispute that Obama is African American, Obama is considered to be so because he self identifies as african american, has a dark complection, and has ties to african american culture. If Obama can claim to be a certain ethnicity via these things, why cant others?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,222,095 times
Quote:
Because he's the descendant of an African slave (John Punch) in the U.S.
NY Times -- Obama Has Ties to Slavery Not by His Father but His Mother, Research Suggests

Old 08-22-2015, 09:59 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,217,839 times
Cant we just call one another American? We usually can tell from ones appearance what they are. We have some of the dumbest logic on the plant. Humans are humans but we still seem to require specifics when its just doesnt matter nor is it important.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I ask the same thing about Bill Clinton, who was also called so (and not as a complete joke).

But its because Obama immersed himself in African American culture (joined an African American church, married an African American, identified as an African American, etc.). And it made sense. In trying to come to terms with who he was/is, he didn't have a community of Kenyans to join. Obama is an "adopted" African American. African American is an ethnic grouping where its possible for others to join; but recent African immigrants (and their descendants) and West Indians tend to keep to their own culture and, so, don't consider themselves to be African American. This is generally speaking. There are some exceptions.

Note, however, that the greater black community was unsure about whether to embrace Barack as an African American candidate at first. The NAACP actually took a vote on the matter before his first run.

When debating this issue with others, though, I always tell them to go up to someone in a West Indian American enclave and ask a random person on the street if s/he is an African American. Regardless of what the media would call that person, it is not typical for people from those communities to refer to themselves as African American.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 08-22-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I've heard that, but that seems like a stretch to me, as far as accuracy of data goes. Still, if true, I guess under US tradition and custom, he could legitimately call himself an African American

Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've heard that, but that seems like a stretch to me, as far as accuracy of data goes. Still, if true, I guess under US tradition and custom, he could legitimately call himself an African American
Why do you doubt that he had slave ancestors on his mother's side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or