U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM

470 posts, read 144,269 times

Advertisements

Why was this moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 PM

7,750 posts, read 2,466,757 times
I find Ethiopians to be very close-knit, traditional peoples. Also, their food is amazing.

I would love to visit Ethiopia, especially as it pertains to Christian history. It has maintain more of true and traditional Christianity than most places in the world.

Beautiful people too...

Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 PM

4,233 posts, read 3,600,403 times
Queen Sheba and Solomon lineage in the bloodline. I also heard the ark of the conveant is in Ethopia. Very beautiful and passionate people.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,235,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I am wondering where all the people live since 5 million in and around Addis Ababa but no other large cities (+1 million metro) the next 5 cities combine for roughly 1.1 million people, yet the country has 90 million+ people? This question has been keeping me up at night for years are they all rural? are the stats off?
All geographical questions aside as previously mentioned ancient society, very diverse people wise and climate wise also.
I've been reading about cyclists going through Ethiopia, and started viewing some youtube on it....it looks like a lot of people walk on the main roads, and many houses are on the roads as well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZr70Bq_pLI

Old 02-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Status: "J'aime les gens bons et les jambons" (set 3 days ago)

1,814 posts, read 917,264 times
Poor, dramatically poor...

Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 PM

470 posts, read 144,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
But rich in history, culture and geography.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,211,005 times
I'd love to go to the Danakil Depression and some of the archeological sites in Ethiopia.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 AM
Status: "J'aime les gens bons et les jambons" (set 3 days ago)

1,814 posts, read 917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa12 View Post
But rich in history, culture and geography.
Sure. Well Africa in general could concentrate 90% of the tourism if it was safe and stable. I wish I could see this from my eyes one day. I'm not sure though...

Old 03-22-2017, 01:05 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,978,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Yes that is what I thought before meeting any real ethiopians. I had just seen them on TV with big bellies and starving. Thanks PBS :rolleyes They have good food (also good coffee), though and they were the first Christians, I believe. They have a lot of restaurants in the DC area. I think they have a cool dance and they like raw meat. They are also religious.

I'm not sure but I think some of them look down on black Africans and think they are "arab?" and not blacks. Like that is supposed to be better to them. But many of them emigrated to the middle east with the actual arabs, and are suffering from racial discrimination.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,235,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes that is what I thought before meeting any real ethiopians. I had just seen them on TV with big bellies and starving. Thanks PBS :rolleyes They have good food (also good coffee), though and they were the first Christians, I believe. They have a lot of restaurants in the DC area. I think they have a cool dance and they like raw meat. They are also religious.

I'm not sure but I think some of them look down on black Africans and think they are "arab?" and not blacks. Like that is supposed to be better to them. But many of them emigrated to the middle east with the actual arabs, and are suffering from racial discrimination.
I recently read a fantastic book that was basically saying that entire Ethiopian Famine...was actually a political move by The Ferg to starve off 'ethnic enemies'...

Some of the few journalists allowed in Addis at that time (as it The Derg regime was much like Cambodia's Pol Pot)....but the journalists reported how amazing it was that so few starving and hungry were coming into the Capital of Addis...it was such a peaceful oasis and a fantastic place for journalists in Africa to be given a post.

In reflection of the of journalists thought "If so much Famine is occuring why aren't we seeing it is Addis?" And the answer was basically it was political suicide...better for them to starve to death out there than come in and risk certain death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or