U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 9,067,154 times
Reputation: 2837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

Despite all your comments, I still don't see you coming up with any ways Africa could raise it's economies, standard of living, governance, and quality of life except following the Western model? The advancement of human rights, proper governance, low violence rates, free thought and expression, and both high education and enlightenment are at the very core of the Western economies. Such things are not the result of development but rather the cause of it.


So what is your African alternative?
The best example of "African solutions" would be Botswana. In Botswana they have modernized their traditional approaches to handling disputes with the use of village style debate meetings called Kgotla. Botswana was one of the few African countries to use it's traditional culture as an influence on how they govern.

Seretse Khama was the first president of Botswana. I think this man needs more study by those who are into African development issues.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iWS7BQlqc

 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 PM
 
931 posts, read 613,474 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Despite all your comments, I still don't see you coming up with any ways Africa could raise it's economies, standard of living, governance, and quality of life except following the Western model? The advancement of human rights, proper governance, low violence rates, free thought and expression, and both high education and enlightenment are at the very core of the Western economies. Such things are not the result of development but rather the cause of it.


So what is your African alternative?

I find the black mentality extremly odd, if you look at the rest of the world, they have fully accepted the need to learn from others. The Meiji restoration is a great example, Japan modernized very quickly but at the same time kept their culture and identity. Look at Japan now, a modern, developed and technically advanced country.

The only thing black people can come up with is to dump all their problems on "colonialism", "racism", "slavery" or "imperialism". Like I previously mentioned in a post, India was a victim of all of these and they are developing at a quicker rate than China.
 
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM
 
931 posts, read 613,474 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
Europe needs to leave Africa alone and let it solve her own problems. You haven't been reading my posts.



Why are African IQ's lower? Most know English only as a foreign language.

Also, they manipulated scores.

Nice of you to generalize again...You think that racism is natural. And that we're just imagining things. Japan and Germany got where they are because of the Marshall plan--ie The US pumping money into two defeated enemies and establishing bases so they wouldn't go rogue again...also to keep them away from soviet influence.
look up the Meiji restoration, the Japanese industrialized themselves, one hand your saying Europe should leave Africa alone and on the other hand you say foreign intervention did Japan and Germany good.

Asian countries do better at Iq tests than South Africa and Nigeria, both English speaking countries.Asian countries do better than white countries.why would white people manipulate scores that looks bad for Europeans? It has nothing to do with language. You still haven't answered my question why is the black high school and college drop out rate so high.
 
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 AM
 
4,690 posts, read 8,593,124 times
Reputation: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
libreria was never a colony and its poorer than most african countries.
I think this is one of the most stupid question I've ever seen on a thread. What does being poor have to do with being a colony? Do you even know how Liberia came about? Think before you write next time?
 
Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
look up the Meiji restoration, the Japanese industrialized themselves, one hand your saying Europe should leave Africa alone and on the other hand you say foreign intervention did Japan and Germany good.

Asian countries do better at Iq tests than South Africa and Nigeria, both English speaking countries.Asian countries do better than white countries.why would white people manipulate scores that looks bad for Europeans? It has nothing to do with language. You still haven't answered my question why is the black high school and college drop out rate so high.
GO too a public Nigerian school and you will see why? It is pretty obvious. For America go to a public high school in most predominantly black areas and you will see why. Now I bet you if you measure IQ on college campuses at the average American college and the Average Nigerian college or South African one you will get similar IQ's because your measuring college educated people. It's like me coming to the conclusion that since all the Nigerians in America are relatively smart and have the highest college attainment in the U.S, Nigerians are the smartest people in the world. That is ignoring that the U.S only allows rich and educated or upper middle class Nigerians into America so they outperform most of the U.S born people.
 
Old 11-27-2015, 10:00 AM
 
907 posts, read 556,061 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Why is the black high school drop out rate so high?
source?
 
Old 11-27-2015, 10:04 AM
 
907 posts, read 556,061 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Despite all your comments, I still don't see you coming up with any ways Africa could raise it's economies, standard of living, governance, and quality of life except following the Western model? The advancement of human rights, proper governance, low violence rates, free thought and expression, and both high education and enlightenment are at the very core of the Western economies. Such things are not the result of development but rather the cause of it.


So what is your African alternative?
Perhaps, but none of those things are the exclusive domain of the West.
 
Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
African IQ are on par with those of Europe. Black and Latino high schools fail because they are poorly funded. In fact, our schools are so bad, that we have to import people from all over just to stay competitive with the rest of the world--which is why the few Nigerians are hear in the first place.
Do you have a link that supports the bolded statement with facts?
 
Old 11-27-2015, 11:59 AM
 
693 posts, read 817,579 times
Reputation: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
African IQ are on par with those of Europe. Black and Latino high schools fail because they are poorly funded. In fact, our schools are so bad, that we have to import people from all over just to stay competitive with the rest of the world--which is why the few Nigerians are hear in the first place.
That's actually incorrect. The countries with the highest IQ's are Asian and European.

https://iq-research.org/en/page/average-iq-by-country

National IQ Scores - Country Rankings

Top 10 Countries by Highest Average IQ - TheRichest

15 Countries with Highest Average IQ In the World - Insider Monkey



Also, it's 'here'.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
African countries had very good leaders who wanted to the whole continent to unite and develop. American, French, British racists couldn’t allow that to happen so they funded coups, assassinated potential good leaders, then propped up corrupt leaders. European countries and America are very corrupt, they are just good at hiding the evil stuff they do.

You're right that Africa (if we're taking it as a whole) has had some good leaders over the years, but one cannot deny that Africa has also had a plethora of absolutely horrendous leaders as well. First off, let's call a spade a spade. African countries have been behind European ones for centuries. Even during the times of slavery, African nations were far behind those in Europe. Furthermore, African tribal leaders used to sell other Africans from opposing tribes into slavery. Many African chiefs were actually in partnership with the Europeans because they wanted the money and/or other goods that the Europeans offered them in return for the slaves.

Even in more contemporary times post colonialism, Africa has had more than its fair share of terrible leaders. Look at Omar Bongo of Gabon, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, and Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea, etc. The list goes on and on. Since the Europeans left, in the vast majority of Sub-Saharan African countries, the elite that took over have been disastrous and many of these countries are just as bad off if not worse than when the Europeans began decolonization. Many of them steal money and resources, put it in Swiss bank accounts, and then run off to live in Paris or London or wherever at the expense of their poor countrymen.

Add in the ethnic and tribal rivalries on top of the mass poverty and lack of education and sanitation, and most of the African continent is a basket case for the foreseeable future unfortunately. Colonialism caused TONS of problems and its impacts can still be felt in certain aspects. This is undeniable. However, the Europeans have been gone for decades. At some point, people have to start taking some form of responsibility for their own countries and start to make the change that is needed. Part of my family heritage is Jewish. I had family members die in the Holocaust. While the Holocaust will always remain part of the Jewish psyche, Jews have moved on to become one of the most successful ethnic groups on the planet (not just in the US, but also in Europe and other places with large Jewish populations). You have to move past the victim mentality and start taking some responsibility. The world is a tough place, and no one gets anywhere by just incessantly complaining. You have to make the choices and put in the hard work to achieve something and be where you want to be. No one else will do this for you except yourself.

Last edited by CityLover9; 11-27-2015 at 12:08 PM..
 
Old 11-27-2015, 12:03 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
That's actually incorrect. The countries with the highest IQ's are Asian and European.

https://iq-research.org/en/page/average-iq-by-country

National IQ Scores - Country Rankings

Top 10 Countries by Highest Average IQ - TheRichest

15 Countries with Highest Average IQ In the World - Insider Monkey



Also, it's 'here'.





You're right that Africa (if we're taking it as a whole) has had some good leaders over the years, but one cannot deny that Africa has also had a plethora of absolutely horrendous leaders as well. First off, let's call a spade a spade. African countries have been behind European ones for centuries. Even during the times of slavery, African nations were far behind those in Europe. Furthermore, African tribal leaders used to sell other Africans from opposing tribes into slavery. Many African chiefs were actually in partnership with the Europeans because they wanted the money and/or other goods that the Europeans offered them in return for the slaves.

Even in more contemporary times post colonialism, Africa has had more than its fair share of terrible leaders. Look at Omar Bongo of Gabon, Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, and Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea, etc. The list goes on and on. Since the Europeans left, in the vast majority of Sub-Saharan African countries, the elite that took over have been disastrous and many of these countries are just as bad off if not worse than when the Europeans began decolonization. Many of them steal money and resources, put it in Swiss bank accounts, and then run of to live in Paris or London or wherever at the expense of their poor countrymen.

Add in the ethnic and tribal rivalries on top of the mass poverty and lack of education and sanitation, and most of the African continent is a basket case for the foreseeable future unfortunately. Colonialism caused TONS of problems and its impacts can still be felt in certain aspects. This is undeniable. However, the Europeans have been gone for decades, at some point, people have to start taking some form of responsibility for their own countries and start to make the change that is needed. Part of my family heritage is Jewish. I had family members die in the Holocaust. While the Holocaust will always remain part of the Jewish psyche, Jews have moved on to become one of the most successful ethnic groups on the planet (not just in the US, but also in Europe and other places with large Jewish populations). You have to move past the victim mentality and start taking some responsibility.


This in particular I agree with 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top