U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM

907 posts, read 556,786 times

Advertisements

Its been 50 years..

Anyway, my point about the high school drop out rates was that it is rather irrelevant. That black Americans dropout of high school at high rates has exactly what relevance to Africa? I mean you could make a case for it...but it would be a stretch...

Old 11-27-2015, 03:01 PM

839 posts, read 591,453 times
If you have ever met an immigrant from Africa they will be more than happy to tell you why. In short, they hate each other. My wife and I volunteer at our church to help recent immigrants acclimate to the U.S. We just hosted a lovely couple from Cuba last night for thanksgiving. One of the prior families we helped were from Kenya. They moved to the U.S. because each were disowned from their tribes. The reason is they married outside of their tribe. While in the U.S. the native population has been pretty much wiped out, it is different in Africa. There many native tribes still exist, and they don't get along with one another. They told us endless stories of how family members were killed for not obeying the cultural rules. When they met in college they were forbid from even speaking to one another. They decided to get married and leave and this is how they eventually wound up in the U.S. This long standing resentment between the Afican people is still there, under the surface, and is still being taught to new generations. Untill the African people unite and stop the internal war, the poverty and strife is going to continue.

Sadly, it may be too late for much of north eastern Africa as Militant Islam has begun a slow march south and is destroying the traditional African cultures one country at a time.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:23 PM

I don't think the comments here generally reflect the attitudes of Africans in their consideration of their past. First, I think most here are assuming that the African and black American attitudes towards their oppressors are one and the same. But, while there are similarities, this is rather false...as an African, we were colonized but we were never enslaved. Our opression happened on a much more institutionalized scale and wasn't as personalized as it was for black Americans. I could never pretend to understand the pain of slavery, I think black slavery was much more traumatizing than colonialism. As such, I think American minds are assuming that the attitudes held by black Americans towards them are the same as those held by Africans. But, to the contrary, America is actually quite popular in Africa.

Secondly, following the model of the 7 stages of grief..I feel like Africa is largely in the guilt stage. Talking to people, I feel like most feel bad that it happened and perhaps take it as of our doing. And though this is what the overwhelming message from this thread has been, it is false. Africans are being portrayed as playing the victim when it is largely guilt that is being felt. I think the feelings are being misinterpreted. It isn't self pity, it is guilt. Africans are largely not yet angry..not quite yet.

Realize, healing is a process. It takes time. 50 years or less isn't that much of a time to have passed considering the extent of the trauma that occurred.

Black Americans I feel are one step ahead in the process, they are angry. That's why the recent uptick in anger has been noticeable. After which, it will be despair and depression, then finally hope. Africans aren't even that far, I don't think we have largely been angry, we are grieving but we are still not truly depressed, and there's hardly hope amongst us.

Everyone wants Africa and blacks to heal in their way but proper healing will only be achieved in the way which makes sense to them. I feel there is pressure to get over it without people realizing there a few more steps to go.

You see, back in Africa..I was never angry. I was confused as to why it happened. But reading posts here..it makes me angry.

It's like men telling a woman raped to "deal with it or let it destroy you". The men may or may not be right, but even if they are, it is simply not their place to even comment.

I think it's best people let the healing process take its natural course by allowing space and time for it to occur. I don't know if Americans and the West are assuming they are doing Africa a favor by suggesting how we should heal from our afflictions, but they are not. Your advice is neither wanted nor is it helpful. It is instead harmful. It doesn't matter if you are right, it is not your place to say it. My suggestion would be to allow the space and time needed for healing to occur. It will happen on Africa's schedule, or not at all.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:41 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,242,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
I don't think the comments here generally reflect the attitudes of Africans in their consideration of their past. First, I think most here are assuming that the African and black American attitudes towards their oppressors are one and the same. But, while there are similarities, this is rather false...as an African, we were colonized but we were never enslaved. Our opression happened on a much more institutionalized scale and wasn't as personalized as it was for black Americans. I could never pretend to understand the pain of slavery, I think black slavery was much more traumatizing than colonialism. As such, I think American minds are assuming that the attitudes held by black Americans towards them are the same as those held by Africans. But, to the contrary, America is actually quite popular in Africa.

Secondly, following the model of the 7 stages of grief..I feel like Africa is largely in the guilt stage. Talking to people, I feel like most feel bad that it happened and perhaps take it as of our doing. And though this is what the overwhelming message from this thread has been, it is false. Africans are being portrayed as playing the victim when it is largely guilt that is being felt. I think the feelings are being misinterpreted. It isn't self pity, it is guilt. Africans are largely not yet angry..not quite yet.

Realize, healing is a process. It takes time. 50 years or less isn't that much of a time to have passed considering the extent of the trauma that occurred.

Black Americans I feel are one step ahead in the process, they are angry. That's why the recent uptick in anger has been noticeable. After which, it will be despair and depression, then finally hope. Africans aren't even that far, I don't think we have largely been angry, we are grieving but we are still not truly depressed, and there's hardly hope amongst us.

Everyone wants Africa and blacks to heal in their way but proper healing will only be achieved in the way which makes sense to them. I feel there is pressure to get over it without people realizing there a few more steps to go.

You see, back in Africa..I was never angry. I was confused as to why it happened. But reading posts here..it makes me angry.

It's like men telling a woman raped to "deal with it or let it destroy you". The men may or may not be right, but even if they are, it is simply not their place to even comment.

I think it's best people let the healing process take its natural course by allowing space and time for it to occur. I don't know if Americans and the West are assuming they are doing Africa a favor by suggesting how we should heal from our afflictions, but they are not. Your advice is neither wanted nor is it helpful. It is instead harmful. It doesn't matter if you are right, it is not your place to say it. My suggestion would be to allow the space and time needed for healing to occur. It will happen on Africa's schedule, or not at all.
Please do try to read more carefully what is written coping with a victim mentality is distinct from dealing with the grieving process.

"Victim mentality is an acquired (learned) personality trait in which a person tends to regard him or herself as a victim of the negative actions of others, and to think, speak and act as if that were the case — even in the absence of clear evidence. It depends on habitual thought processes and attribution.

Victim mentality is primarily learned, for example, from family members and situations during childhood. It contrasts with the psychologically better-researched traits of neuroticism Neuroticism may be defined as general emotional instability or a generally enhanced tendency to experience negative emotions. Psychoticism is characterised by hostility and aggression.

What victim mentality, neuroticism and psychoticism have in common is a relatively high frequency of negative emotional states such as anger, sadness, and fear. But these three traits are also partially independent: for example a given individual may have a high degree of victim mentality and a low degree of neuroticism, in which case a clinical psychologist is unlikely to regard her or him as needing treatment. Conversely, a given individual may have a high degree of neuroticism and a low degree of victim mentality."

s://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality

Old 11-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Please do try to read more carefully what is written coping with a victim mentality is distinct from dealing with the grieving process.

"Victim mentality is an acquired (learned) personality trait in which a person tends to regard him or herself as a victim of the negative actions of others, and to think, speak and act as if that were the case even in the absence of clear evidence. It depends on habitual thought processes and attribution.

Victim mentality is primarily learned, for example, from family members and situations during childhood. It contrasts with the psychologically better-researched traits of neuroticism Neuroticism may be defined as general emotional instability or a generally enhanced tendency to experience negative emotions. Psychoticism is characterised by hostility and aggression.

What victim mentality, neuroticism and psychoticism have in common is a relatively high frequency of negative emotional states such as anger, sadness, and fear. But these three traits are also partially independent: for example a given individual may have a high degree of victim mentality and a low degree of neuroticism, in which case a clinical psychologist is unlikely to regard her or him as needing treatment. Conversely, a given individual may have a high degree of neuroticism and a low degree of victim mentality."

s://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality
What I am saying is, what is being interpreted as a victim mentality is probably more rightfully called a guilt complex.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:18 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
What I am saying is, what is being interpreted as a victim mentality is probably more rightfully called a guilt complex.
I see I think this thread is becoming very convoluted. Many of these posts are from African Americans not African's. My comments were in reference to SuperiorMegaMans posts I don't think he's African. To be honest this victim mentality is quite prevalent in incarcerated A A males.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:47 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
I am African. Its not a victim mentality--and if it is, it is being imposed by the Europeans to make them easier to control. And the posts that aren't from Black Americans, are coming from racists.
From which country?

Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM
AFP

Quote:
I am African. Its not a victim mentality--and if it is, it is being imposed by the Europeans to make them easier to control. And the posts that aren't from Black Americans, are coming from racists.

What evidence are you basing these conclusions on? So far almost all of your posts contain conclusions that aren't based on evidence.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I am African. Its not a victim mentality--and if it is, it is being imposed by the Europeans to make them easier to control.
I feel like this. They want Africans to be victims. The alternative scares them.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, A lot of Africans were enslaved on their own land during colonialism. They were segregated, too. You could kill someone and get away with it back then.
But that's just it.."on their own land". At least there was a home. An occupied home, but a home regardless. I feel like being taken away, stolen, packed in ships, sold like cattle in the market...I think that is a worse fate. Not that what was done back in Africa was any good. But at least the opportunity to organize themselves, form resistance groups, fight for freedom..was plausible. (And forthcoming). Worse still is being freed with no real resources, in a land foreign, amongst people who were, putting it kindly, weary of you. I don't really think Africans can lay claim to that experience...it was horrible what was happening. The two experiences had their similarities and they had their differences.

At least Africans had a home to go back to..black Americans were just kinda shunted out the door and told to figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or