U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,871,655 times

Advertisements

Send in the IMF and the World Bank to fix 'em up.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,278,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Go to 12:10 of this video to get to this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQj7V7zCqsc
I think the headline of the thread is misleading. The video is about how to lift Africa, what is preventing that liftoff. It is an upbeat and exciting video (I would like to hear more from her). It is not about why Africa is poor, a very complex array of reasons.

I think a focus on the future will save Africa. If instead the focus is on a retroactive social justice, regardless of merit, any discussion on Africa will deteriorate.

I am excited about what Africa can become. I hope one day to go.

S.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 25 days ago)

9,830 posts, read 21,138,014 times
Africa is now home to 4 of the 5 fastest growing economies.

GDP Annual Growth Rate - Countries - List

Africa is poor because is it less developed and more traditional. If their people are happy without air conditioning and a new car who are anyone else to judge? I know lots of miserable Americans with all the material possessions imaginable. You can measure GDP, you can't measure happiness. I think Africa will continue growing rapidly and will catch up with the rest of the world... on it's own time table.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,062,982 times
Africans didnt know they were poor, and then Europeans trashed that blissful existence, they imposed modern elements on the clay tribal foundation, most importantly, Europeans gave African leaders ideas about good life and status items. Here comes classical prisoner dilemma, should I steal whatever I can and buy what I want, or should I use whatever I have to make stuff I can trade for much more stuff I want? Most of the "elites" on the face of Earth opted for stealing and plunder, some have lots of resources to plunder, some little.

Basically, it boils down to a question: do I want to live with all these people surrounding me or I should mastermind an individual escape. Countries where people dont want to live among the people they share citizenship with are corrupt, everybody is creating his own bail out fund, cooperation and investments are way too uncertain as compared to an individual escape.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:44 PM

907 posts, read 556,236 times
Africa hasn't always been poor.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:31 PM

6,559 posts, read 9,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

I think the headline of the thread is misleading. The video is about how to lift Africa, what is preventing that liftoff...
I told people to check the video at 12:10. That's where she deals with the question of why people(Africans)are poor.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,278,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I told people to check the video at 12:10. That's where she deals with the question of why people(Africans)are poor.
As I said, the video from 12:10 points to what Africa needs to lift themselves. But to look as to why they are poor, one must look to the past.

S.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:21 PM

137 posts, read 106,460 times
Another reason of MANY...
Quote:
Africa to Record Largest Population Growth Over Next 40 Years

A new report predicts that sub-Saharan Africa will record the world's largest population growth between now and 2050. According to the Population Reference Bureau, the world's poorest region will more than double in population, from 1.1 billion to 2.4 billion.

By the year 2050, the report states Africa's population is likely to grow by a staggering 1.3 billion people -- the largest growth of any region in the world, including Asia, which currently has about 60 percent of people on the planet.

Sub-Saharan Africa, where fertility rates are among the highest in the world, will account for the majority of the increase. In sub-Saharan Africa, the population is expected to grow from 926 million people to nearly 2.2 billion people.

The Population Reference Bureau report shows that women in sub-Saharan Africa currently average 5.2 children during their lifetime, compared to averages of 1.6 in Europe and 1.9 in North America.

In some African countries, such as Niger, the birth rate is as high as 7.6 children per woman. And even the assumption that this rate will decline steadily over the coming decades, the population of Niger is still expected to nearly quadruple by 2050, according to Haub.

Haub added that if African populations do grow at projected rates - or even faster - it could lead to many problems, including higher rates of poverty and unemployment, and environmental degradation. That trend might also affect foreign aid from donors, many of whose budgets are already strained by growing numbers of people who need assistance.
I guess given all the multiple factors and lifestyle choices RADICALLY different than the rest of the world, the only realistic (but rhetorical) question would be - why SHOULDN'T Africa be poor???

Why in the world would you think you can be and act so differently...yet magically expect the same results???

Old 10-31-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

Africans didnt know they were poor, and then Europeans trashed that blissful existence, they imposed modern elements on the clay tribal foundation, most importantly, Europeans gave African leaders ideas about good life and status items.
Well Africans in their traditional culture did have class differences. It's that in pre-colonial or traditional Africa people measured wealth differently than how Europeans did it. In many traditional African cultures wealth was measured by how many cattle you owned for example.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 PM

Free markets from an African perspective.

The African Executive | Free Markets not Alien to Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or