U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 PM
 
6,559 posts, read 9,072,595 times
Reputation: 2837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucaniwa View Post

Most of the African countries are economically poor because they are simply dependent, they use political policies that are not connected to their lifestyle but they feel forced by the capitalists...

The capitalists design the basis of education for Africans...

Well actually most of these "capitalist" you're referring to come from countries with mixed economies. Anyway,Africans need to be careful becoming anti capitalist because you need capitalism to generate the wealth needed to build a country.

 
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Reputation: 11309
I think that the comparison between HK and Africa is somewhat flawed, fundamentally. HK was a colonial holding designed to maintain a presence by the most populous nation in the world, primarily for economic reasons. HK is quite small in the grand scheme of things, and has no natural resources which can't be found elsewhere, and in much greater quantities. Money was pumped into HK to make it a trade hub, and policies enacted to make it the most attractive place for local and international nations to do business in the region.

Let's compare this to African, Latin, and Caribbean nations, whom the UK and other colonial powers maintained primarily for their resources. The money that was pumped into them was generally for the infrastructure and maintenance of whatever resources they desired from that place - cocoa, sugar, diamonds, rubber, oil, etc - and urban/social infrastructure was primarily enacted in a way that it benefited the colonizers. The capitols and areas around whatever resource fields they were using were built up, sure, but schools were built for the colonizers' children, and education for locals was usually enacted primarily for locals who aided the empire and were awarded a higher status in society. Roads, plumbing, etc were built primarily for the areas that the colonizers lived in, conducted business in, and for access to the resources that drew them there. Universities generally focused on whatever the local specialty was - if the area was maintained for cocoa fields, for example, the university would focus almost entirely on local agriculture.

It's easy at face value to say that the colonizing nations did the right thing for the nation by setting them up with educations to make use of the resources available to them, but generally speaking, the colonizers' exits left massive vacuums. Let's think of what happens when a poor person buys a BMW or Mercedes: most likely, by the time that they can afford it, it is at the point where it starts to have mechanical problems. Even if they could afford the initial buy-in, they don't have the means to maintain it. The S500 they bought eventually loses three power windows, the seats won't move, the electrical system glitches and it won't start, the engine starts to knock... they lack the money to afford proper maintenance, so they have to use jury-rigged fixes to keep it on the road. Five years after they bought it, it is a cantankerous hulk that barely works.

This is more or less what was foisted upon post-colonial nations: they were left with ports, roads, schools, universities, electrical and aquatic infrastructure... and no means with which to maintain their operation. The colonial nations that oversaw them were able to pump money into these things because they were turning a profit on their holdings. As soon as they left and took that money with them, there was nothing to keep them going. I think of it more or less like giving a poor person a Mercedes, and then coming back in five years and blaming them for their inability to maintain the thing.
 
Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 PM
 
7,328 posts, read 4,014,033 times
Reputation: 9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Hong Kong was a British colony for 100 years,
Hong Kong barely larger than New York City.
 
Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM
 
137 posts, read 106,495 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that the comparison between HK and Africa is somewhat flawed, fundamentally. HK was a colonial holding designed to maintain a presence by the most populous nation in the world, primarily for economic reasons. HK is quite small in the grand scheme of things, and has no natural resources which can't be found elsewhere, and in much greater quantities. Money was pumped into HK to make it a trade hub, and policies enacted to make it the most attractive place for local and international nations to do business in the region.
LMFAO!

Uh, you do realize that these colonialists also just happened to narcotic traffic tons of opium into Hong Kong to relieve their trade deficit, waged full-scale Opium Wars over it, and probably killed 100 million Chinese over the span of about a century in doing so?
Quote:
In the beginning, David Sassoon wanted to trade cotton cloth with China in exchange for tea, but the Chinese did not want the cotton that Sassoon wanted to trade.

At the same time, Britain had an insatiable appetite for Chinese tea, but the Qing Dynasty and its subjects did not want to buy anything that the British produced.

The Chinese were, however, willing to trade tea for silver, since at that time China had a currency fully backed by silver. But the government of Queen Victoria did not want to use up the country's reserves of gold or silver in buying tea.

However, Sassoon considered that the Chinese might be susceptible to opium, which could then be exchanged for tea. Armed with this knowledge, he sailed back to England to make a new proposition to the Queen. And, on the advice of David Sassoon, Queen Victoria decided to export opium from the Indian Subcontinent to China where her military would enforce its importation and use.

In Order to boost the trade David Sassoon forced the farmers in Bengali to stop farming food and turn to growing opium poppies. The climate in Bengali was very good for growing opium and Sassoon's business flourished. He became a member of the East India Company, a firm owned and run by Jews out of the City of London. So successful was the opium business that the tax the East Indian Company paid to England paid for all English wars between 1831 and 1905.

Soooo...next excuse, please?
 
Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM
 
931 posts, read 613,951 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
LMFAO!

Uh, you do realize that these colonialists also just happened to narcotic traffic tons of opium into Hong Kong to relieve their trade deficit, waged full-scale Opium Wars over it, and probably killed 100 million Chinese over the span of about a century in doing so?
Soooo...next excuse, please?

I find it odd how defensive black people are, Asians on the other hand respect and admire Western culture and technology. The Chinese deeply respect Jews, they consider Jews to be very intelligent and resourceful. There are books in China like how to invest like a Jew. Most Asians see blacks as stupid,lazy and violent.
 
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
 
931 posts, read 613,951 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Hong Kong barely larger than New York City.
Comoros is barely larger than NYC, still dirt poor. What does size have anything to do with it? Actually the fact that Hong Kong has a high population density and few resources and still perform well, means they obviously know what they are doing.
 
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,501 posts, read 1,701,498 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
Because Nigerian Igbos are a small ethnic minority of Africans (only 18% of Nigerians alone) - and more the exception to, rather than the rule?

But the fact that many can academically outperform other Blacks (and other races) implies that intelligence (not race or SES) is the primary determinant there.

And their brainy contributions might be one of the reasons why Nigeria is one of the 4 largest economies in Africa (with the other 3 of mostly non-Black or mixed demographics)? Again, showing a connection between IQ & the wealth of nations?
I didn't say Nigerian Igbos, I said Nigerian Americans, I am not Igbo neither are all the Nigerians in my class, It isn't just Igbo's it is all Nigerians in America, that are the highest performing group. I am saying if Africans are so lacking how come when we look at Nigerians in America who are the most educated group of any people in America. It is a sample size, and even though Nigerian Americans aren't the richest group their the smartest. Look a the schools were most African Americans are in the U.S, look at were they are. Again look at Britain most live in neighborhoods like Peckham yet... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nigerian Look at Education. Show me evidence of when a black person in a middle class school living in the same house as a middle class person of any race under performs then you can prove your point. In countries were people are poor and go to rubbish schools compared to their counterparts any minority has low educational attainment. Blacks have invented lots of things, for example a Bolasie: Invented the Bolasie Flick- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sryzjrSkvKI Just Kidding. But really
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Edward_Maceo_West
Also reread my post as to why Africa is behind in the first place. No LARGE EMPIRE! disprove my previous post please.
Yes I will agree Nigeria is a smarter than the average country because of Lagos, Nigeria which has an upper middle class of 2 million people. Making it easily the richest majority black are in the world. Also Abuja is a mostly first world planned city in Africa. But the reason why Nigeria has the 2nd or 3rd highest economy in Africa can be attributed to the fact that 200 million people live there and 170 million live there by census numbers, "They don't actually count and they generalize the population numbers" they estimate since 30 of the houses in one neighborhood has an average of 6 people living in them that all 900 houses in the house has 6 people in them even though many of the houses will have as high as 20 people at any given time, permanently or temporarily living in them. Also babies not born in Hospitals don't get counted etc. that is why I would take any number out of Nigeria for population not that seriously.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 11-04-2015 at 10:33 AM..
 
Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 PM
 
931 posts, read 613,951 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I didn't say Nigerian Igbos, I said Nigerian Americans, I am not Igbo neither are all the Nigerians in my class, It isn't just Igbo's it is all Nigerians in America, that are the highest performing group. I am saying if Africans are so lacking how come when we look at Nigerians in America who are the most educated group of any people in America. It is a sample size, and even though Nigerian Americans aren't the richest group their the smartest. Look a the schools were most African Americans are in the U.S, look at were they are. Again look at Britain most live in neighborhoods like Peckham yet... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nigerian Look at Education. Show me evidence of when a black person in a middle class school living in the same house as a middle class person of any race under performs then you can prove your point. In countries were people are poor and go to rubbish schools compared to their counterparts any minority has low educational attainment. Blacks have invented lots of things, for example a Bolasie: Invented the Bolasie Flick-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sryzjrSkvKI Just Kidding. But really
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Edward_Maceo_West
Also reread my post as to why Africa is behind in the first place. No LARGE EMPIRE! disprove my previous post please.
Yes I will agree Nigeria is a smarter than the average country because of Lagos, Nigeria which has an upper middle class of 2 million people. Making it easily the richest majority black are in the world. Also Abuja is a mostly first world planned city in Africa. But the reason why Nigeria has the 2nd or 3rd highest economy in Africa can be attributed to the fact that 200 million people live there and 170 million live there by census numbers, "They don't actually count and they generalize the population numbers" they estimate since 30 of the houses in one neighborhood has an average of 6 people living in them that all 900 houses in the house has 6 people in them even though many of the houses will have as high as 20 people at any given time, permanently or temporarily living in them. Also babies not born in Hospitals don't get counted etc. that is why I would take any number out of Nigeria for population not that seriously.

Indian Americans do better than Nigerian Americans, so do you admit Indians are smarter than Nigerians?
http://newamericamedia.org/2012/07/i...pew-report.php
Indian American holds Highest household income

Last edited by littlemissrock; 11-04-2015 at 09:53 PM..
 
Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
LMFAO!

Uh, you do realize that these colonialists also just happened to narcotic traffic tons of opium into Hong Kong to relieve their trade deficit, waged full-scale Opium Wars over it, and probably killed 100 million Chinese over the span of about a century in doing so?
Okay, you need to chill, and there's really no reason to come out swinging with insults, especially when you really just confirm what I said.

What did Britain spend the last hundred or so years of its time in HK, the period during which it pumped the most money into the place, doing? Using it as a hub to ship opium? No. One way or the other, it was maintained for primarily trade-related reasons, as I stated before.

Quote:
Soooo...next excuse, please?
You do realize that I am being CRITICAL of colonial powers, right? Seems like you ignored the entire rest of my post Talk about ignorant.
 
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 PM
 
137 posts, read 106,495 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
What did Britain spend the last hundred or so years of its time in HK, the period during which it pumped the most money into the place, doing?
Say what? They were pumping OPIUM in there and extracting SILVER - not the other way around!!! The only money being pumped was into colonial pockets, which sometimes then went into building their infrastructure, etc. But that was owned by the colonialists, not the Chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Using it as a hub to ship opium? No. One way or the other, it was maintained for primarily trade-related reasons, as I stated before.
YES, it was a port to receive and distribute opium further inland... Again, opium was about the only product the Chinese would buy from the colonialists. Because all their other manufactured goods were basically inferior or undesired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You do realize that I am being CRITICAL of colonial powers, right? Seems like you ignored the entire rest of my post Talk about ignorant.
No, you relabeled a century-long drug war "genocide" into "developing the country into a trading port" in order to "explain away" how HK became fabulously wealthy despite long colonial subjugation (as opposed to Africa).

Otherwise, you would have to acknowledge that colonialism alone cannot be to blame for African poverty, and other factors are far more significant.

The reality is that colonialism was usually a mixed bag for everyone. It inflicted a lot of heavy damage from brutal subjugation...but there was also often a silver lining of very solid infrastructure being built. Most societies experienced both - although you are trying to claim that Africa only suffered the negatives while certain other countries only benefited from the positives. Which is just patently false (like with HK - which undeniably experienced BOTH, just like everyone else!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top