U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 01:06 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,235,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
You shouldn't forget, the goal of the slave is to pull everyone down with them, so the social justice warrior should keep in mind that the mooches and leaches of society will reward the kind redistributor by slitting their throat.

"Jesse Jackson is traveling the country with a tough anti-crime message that he is delivering to inner-city youngsters. In Chicago he said, "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery -- then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

NYTimes: In America; A Sea Change On Crime

kovert I'm not a social warrior.

I work with incarcerated individuals and there is a pattern regarding the mooches and leaches regardless of race.

1. Poor impulse control
2. lack of empathy
3. Huge sense of entitlement
4. Low IQ is more likely to be violent
5. Low self esteem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 PM

11,690 posts, read 6,286,279 times
I see Pan-Africanism as being stronger on and among those on the continent than as a worldwide thing. While I've seen a fair share of African Americans and black West Indians embrace their African heritage, its hard for many to embrace Africans (and the other way around). But it makes sense. African Americans are not Africans, though they have African ancestry. From language to other cultural barriers, there is just too wide of a gap for a true Pan-Africanism to exist. African Americans have more in common, culturally, with other multi-generational Americans of any race than with Africans on the continent today.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 PM

691 posts, read 918,997 times
I find it very ironic that some New World blacks embrace the African heritage (surface trappings) but can't deal with actual
Africans...I was told this first hand by a Yoruba woman...In our city they were having an ethnic day festival and a Black
American group were emphasizing their African heritage so the Yoruba woman being a business woman and who gave programs and lectures on her culture wanted to join and give them some pointers...They said she didn't know what she
was talking about as she was an African and a foreigner.

I said "WHAT??!!! I said YOU should have been the FIRST person they would come to" but these people want to embrace
African heritage...Another thing I noticed was that in my town, when they had the African and Caribbean film festival I
noticed the audience was mostly white, educated and older none of the Afro-Centrist types were at the African film festival..

OK..What is WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???? you embrace the heritage but not the people who created it???

Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM

I have LIVED with Africans and while some Black Americans want to embrace the African heritage sometimes there ARE
cultural misunderstandings based on assumptions between the two groups NOT in every case but in SOME cases...

Making some observations that I saw, NOT BROAD GENERALIZATIONS for EVERY black group or EVERY African...

SOME of these people like Africa in the ABSTRACT sense only...and MAY have never interacted with actual Africans...

SOME people talk "black" but accuse Africans of acting "white"....Xenophobic Black Though Police who think anyone black who
does not act like a Black American is automatically acting "white" That is what acting "white" really means..in this country...

But then, I had an African friend accuse another African from her same country as acting white..and in this case, I saw her point...

Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,235,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I have LIVED with Africans and while some Black Americans want to embrace the African heritage sometimes there ARE
cultural misunderstandings based on assumptions between the two groups NOT in every case but in SOME cases...

Making some observations that I saw, NOT BROAD GENERALIZATIONS for EVERY black group or EVERY African...

SOME of these people like Africa in the ABSTRACT sense only...and MAY have never interacted with actual Africans...

SOME people talk "black" but accuse Africans of acting "white"....Xenophobic Black Though Police who think anyone black who
does not act like a Black American is automatically acting "white" That is what acting "white" really means..in this country...

But then, I had an African friend accuse another African from her same country as acting white..and in this case, I saw her point...
What was the white behavior?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 PM

387 posts, read 270,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Pan africanism is BS

I spent time in south africa where locals discriminate people from tanzania, zimbabwe and so on terribly!

Any one who has spent time in Africa knows Africans see each other based on tribal heritage!

the only people who believes in pan-africanism it's an ignorant portion of some american blacks! Most think Africa is like this harmonious place with no discrimination and equality is dominant.

In reality most are delusional and in any african country they would stand out as foreigners from America right away!
Well the 2 biggest wars in human history (WW1 and WW2) were fought between different "types" of Whites, so this phenomenon is not unique to Africa by any stretch......Asia is no different....Look at the history between the Japanese and the Chinese and the Koreans etc......They all fought dozens of wars between each other just like the British and French and Germans fought and killed each other all the time in Europe.....

Humanity IS a divisive species.....period....If it's not race, people well quarl/ fight over Ethnicity or Religion or anything else that represents a "difference" between two different groups of people......

Old 01-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Well his "white" behavior was: plaid shirts, high water tight pants, joining a white frat , listening to rock music, frat parties
where all they did was drink from beer kegs and stand around and talk...he didn't hang around ANY of the other African
students at the time...

BUT last I heard, he was appointed an ambassador of his country to several other African nations and he was in his full
national dress...At the time, he wasn't trying to be "white" he was just exploring Western Culture new to him...

It was just a matter of American subcultures: "urban hip culture" vs. "square culture"....Madonna vs. John Tesh. Most of the
Africans at that time listened to Reggae, Afro-Beat, their own popular music styles (the brought records from their home
countries with them) or with American music they gravitated toward disco-funk, black american music,except they didn't get into the traditional Motown Sound...it sounded old to them.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:30 PM

11,690 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Thug View Post
This is the most false statement I seen on the internet. African-Americans are Africans! Being an "American" is just a nationality therefore nobody is indigenous to this land. You dont see Europeans from England saying that white Americans are not Europeans, so why the hell we have Africans saying that African-Americans are not Africans!? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and its extremely offensives for an African-American like myself to hear or see something like that.

African-Americans grew up under different circumstances as far as learning their true heritage. As an African-American born and raised in America growing up in a school system that obviously has a bias agenda, African-Americans dont know anything about their heritage and ancestry before slavery. So as a young brown boy or girl we already have it installed in our subconscious that we started off as slaves and never had any nobility nor royalty attached to our people because the only thing we learn in school is how much are people has been beat, killed, discriminated against and fought just to be treating equal! So a lot of African-Americans are lost because we lack knowledge on who we really are and where we really come from and the result of this is a lost race people. But African-Americans all over America are waking up and I'm telling you things are going to get very different in the future, we will build our own legacy but Africans need to stick together from America to the motherland, we are our worst enemies and we are all children of Africa. Most African-Americans acknowledge their ancestry and our true motherland (Africa) and we are proud of it which is why we sport the RBG.
As an African American (not that it matters . . . anyone should be free to express their opinions on this matter regardless of their racial/ethnic background), I disagree with you, and think that your point is the one that is ridiculous. If American is just a nationality, what is African (its not even that . . . there are many, many different peoples on the continent, which muddles things even further)? Because African Americans (I don't even like the term, really, and prefer black American) do not, as you noted, know much about their heritage (and, its difficult to know your "heritage" when you don't even know where in Africa your ancestors came from), it is hard for me and others to identify as African, though we proudly acknowledge our roots on the continent (and elsewhere). That's what is laughable to many native Africans from the continent. I see black Americans claiming to want to know more about their "heritage" turn to things like Kwanzaa, etc., which I actually find offensive as it uses a language that was certainly not the mother tongue of the overwhelming majority of enslaved Africans taken to the Americas. But even when they turn to West African cultures and traditions, the question of which ethnic group(s) their ancestors hailed from still remains. Now, I don't have a problem trying to learn about the different cultures of Africa, but that, in itself, coupled with being of African descent, doesn't make one an African in my book. Note, when I write "African," I mean belonging to a particular ethnic group native to the continent, not to some general term used by blacks in the US today.

By the way, I appreciate the back and forth in these threads and don't take your post personally. Hope you don't take mine personally, as that's not my intent. Still, please do continue with the same intensity.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:04 PM

9,523 posts, read 9,409,905 times
Africa is more heterogenous than Europe and Asia.

I don't think "Panafricanism" will cause these people to become peace-loving.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/wo...-100.html?_r=0

Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
CaribNY: You bring up some interesting points, but I doubt ANYONE would want their ancestors to endure the horrors of slavery just to be born in America. After all, were that to happen, their spirits would be broken and they would be victims of racism on a daily basis.

I've lived in Africa and most of the people are apologetic to the black Americans they meet.

The Africans who are apologetic will be the educated ones.

Others who might tell you this, might merely be telling you what they think that you want to hear, as they try to figure out how to financially benefit from your presence (selling you something, getting a better tip, etc).

The impoverished and starving ones, like the taxi driver, are more interested in the fact that you live in the USA, and can afford to stay in an expensive hotel in Africa. And it isn't as if life in colonial Africa was better anyway.

In fact some blacks in Salvador, Brazil, had a similar response, when an African American noted that they had retained more "African" culture. These black Brazilians would have preferred being less "African", but enjoying the benefits that they perceive that the many American blacks, who visit that city, in search for African "authenticity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or