U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-29-2016, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Reputation: 11309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Do you know that some Caribbean high school aged kids were attacked because of their accents, and it isn't like the black American adults prevented this? Haitians had it worst of all.


It was black Americans vs., West Indians vs., Haitians.


From what I hear the black ethnic hostilities in So FL are still bad.
At my jr high and high schools in Boston in the late 90's, "Hatian" was an acceptable pejorative among many AA students.

"Look at your shoes man, they madd Hatian."
"Shut up, you Hatian."
Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
 
2,308 posts, read 942,097 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It was black Americans vs., West Indians vs., Haitians.


From what I hear the black ethnic hostilities in So FL are still bad.
Proud black Yankee here.

Don't start this argument because you won't win. These ethnic hostilities are not one sided. I could fill up pages with my personal anecdotes of disrespect and insults from black immigrants towards black americans.

I've always found it funny that blacks from third world countries come here and speak lowly of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 PM
 
691 posts, read 918,542 times
Reputation: 643
It seems that more than one nationality seems to gang up on Haitians for some reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times
Reputation: 3500
To me it's about ignorance and education

Whites don't seek know European history because

They already have minimal understanding their European heritage even if just stereotypes,


Mediterranean countries, Scandinavia counties, anglo saxon/germanic cultures. East European Balkan, Slavic cultures, Don't have the same stereotypes. As oppose to Sub Saharan get one giant general stereotype.

Europe you think of traditional German architecture and clothing, the stereotype would be very different from Italian architecture, and foods and etc. Which would be very different from Scandinavian Viking stereotypes, which would be very different Spanish bull fighting stereotypes. Which would be very different from The British Isles Irish, and Scottish stereotypes. and etc.

I google German and Spanish Halloween costume, This is clearly stereotypes but my point it's a stereotype specific culture. Mean most Americans couldn't tell you the difference Yourba, Mande, Akans and etc.


Like this is Russian it doesn't look Italian do it?

http://static3.therichestimages.com/...loads/2346.jpg


Again As oppose to Sub Saharan Africa that gets one giant general stereotype. The level of Ignorance is much higher than the stereotypes about Africa. This is why Black people especially African American seek to connect more about African culture.

So whites don't have to be conscious of Europe to learn a lot about Europe historically. Cause in school your going to learn about Greek Antiquity, The Roman Empire, The Mid evil Europe, the renaissance, you might even learn about baroque and Romantic era of Europe. Than in the Media historical Europe is common setting in Hollywood.

Today you movies and shows like 300, Game of thonies, Numerous King Arthur movies. Brave heart. Beowulf and get gives a fantasy version of historical Europe.

One of favorite shows on TV is Game of thones.

http://www.videogiochi.com/wp-conten...016/02/GOT.jpg




Even a lot Animation Disney for example princess are base on fairytales, fairytales are actually European folklore and stories collected by the Grim brothers and etc.

If you look at this Africa is missing, You may didn't know Sleepy Beauty is a french story, but you are clearly been shown a European a Castle and a Cartoon attempted and European princess.

If you notice all the Princess are their ethnic historical settings.......... besides the black girl, She's African American princess which doesn't sense, She wearing European Princess Attire and The Frog and Princes is European folk tale.

So you have 7 white princess in Europe
You have one Asian Princess in Asia
You have one Middle eastern Princess in the Middle East
You have one native American princess in the America






Little Black girls don't know what an African Princess even would look like.

We have stereotypes Greek, Viking warriors. little black boys wouldn't know what an Akan or Yoruba Warrior may look like.

Also because of economic reasons their more modern cultural exchanges between The US and European counties. You likely know what going on in the UK, music and films, before you would know what's happening in Nigeria and South Africa. So whites basically more connect because on economics.



These are the reason why Black Americans are more conscious about race, Cause their's a black individually in history and lack of cultural exchanges in the media around the World.

So a Black male growing up in Chicago mentally is blacks haven't accomplish much, This is not a positive outlook.

Akans Architecture Ghanna




Bamiléké Architecture. Cameroon




Sahalin







Swahalli, Gedi, Stone town


http://totamtotut.ru/wp-content/uplo...n1-620x408.jpg

Great Zimbewe, The hill complex

https://pp.vk.me/c621417/v621417401/...biWe189vLk.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5c7690139f.jpg

http://www.exploringtourism.com/wp-c...s1-600x400.jpg

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/old_trave...le%20Ruins.JPG


http://img.khoahoc.tv/photos/image/2...Zimbabwe_4.jpg

Black Americans we don't know our African roots still isn't a logical explanation to why Most African Americans can't tell least the names of larger tribes and languages and kingdoms that existed in Sub sub saharan africa.

We know Cherokee, Creek, mohawk, Comanche native American groups but we don't Yoruba, Ashanti, Mande, fulani and etc why? We know about The Great Wall of China and taj mahal in india, It's not simply because we don't know roots.


It's the way Africa was portray for decades in The US


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssoFdlyd5uo


Also in addition that no body black wants to be called Africacentric. If somebody white study Europe, Eats a European foods, takes ballet this person is not Eurocentric, But if somebody black wants to learn anything about Africa they're Afrocentric, they're weird, and un American.

but the historical way Africa was portray in the media, and racism labeling prevents African Americans from wanting to learn about Africa. And because nothing is being taught reinforce ignorance that theirs nothing to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2016, 07:45 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times
Reputation: 3500
I saw this film called "Sia, le ręve du python a Burkina Faso film on BETJ Which now centric but they use to show Pan African.

This while not in English this caught my attention. As I said in the Media historical Europe is a common setting in Hollywood. Today you see movies and shows like 300, Game of thonies, Numerous King Arthur movies. Brave heart. Beowulf and get gives a fantasy version of historical Europe.

You don't see, you don't have the visual to how African kingdoms were,

http://sialefilm.com/_gfx/affiche.jpg




The architecture was Sahalian.

http://frendy.de/media/f58/55f/2fb/g...-1.thumb_2.jpg

Then I stated learning about African films Nigeria has bunch films.




I am artists.. I grew up on Animation you see Anime which commonly depicts feudal Japan this has presented Japanese history and culture as Cool.





Imagine if their was a Hollywood budget. From African base epic the way their are for 300, Game of thonies, Numerous King Arthur movies. Brave heart. Beowulf.



I think it's counter productive to have so many hood films when Black entertainment could be doing so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
 
5,180 posts, read 4,672,714 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
kovert I'm not a social warrior.

I work with incarcerated individuals
Then I presume you are aware of some fundamental rules.

1. Don't take their candy bar favors.

2. Don't drop the soap.

3. If you let the vermin watch your back, you'll soon won't have one.

The plantation generations, massah's slaves and degenerates.

I agree that a lot of people have serious mental health and development issues and there should be facilities to handle them.

"Ms. McCray did not appear deterred.

“There’s a huge stigma,” she said of mental health struggles. “It’s something that needs to come out of the shadows.”

NYTimes: Chirlane McCray Promises Millions of Dollars for Mental Health and Social Service Programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
AFP AFP started this thread
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Then I presume you are aware of some fundamental rules.

1. Don't take their candy bar favors.

2. Don't drop the soap.

3. If you let the vermin watch your back, you'll soon won't have one.

The plantation generations, massah's slaves and degenerates.

I agree that a lot of people have serious mental health and development issues and there should be facilities to handle them.

"Ms. McCray did not appear deterred.

“There’s a huge stigma,” she said of mental health struggles. “It’s something that needs to come out of the shadows.”

NYTimes: Chirlane McCray Promises Millions of Dollars for Mental Health and Social Service Programs
1. Don't know what that is.

2. Oh hell no ain't no-one taking my donut.

3. I watch my own back.

Mental heath is underfunded Ms. McCray is doing good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2016, 10:41 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,370 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Reputation: 8487
Pan-Africa doesn't make much sense, that whole idea is basically based on a racist and victim mindset. Racist because to non-Africans Africans all look very similar if not the same, so we simply lack the "resolution" to identify all the thousands of different ethnic groups in Africa, which are just as different from each other as, say, the Russians are from the Portuguese in Europe, or the Indians from the Chinese in Asia.

And with those Africans who like the idea of Pan-Africa, it is mostly based on the naive perception of "us Africans" (the sum of black victims of colonialism) vs the abusive rest of the world.
But when you look at African countries, they are often a mess within, hence all the civil wars. Colonialists drew arbitrary borders, which have forced very different ethnic groups into the same borders, without there being any uniting aspect. It's like forcing Indians and Pakistanis into one country, despite their dislike for each other, just because they live next to each other. So how can there be Pan-Africa, when there is not even Pan-Nigeria or Pan-Mozambique...

There is nothing African about African-Americans anymore, and Africans know that, so naturally they don't care much about African-Americans just because those look similar and feel kind of lost and unwelcome in their own country.
I would go so far as to say African-Americans are closer to Europeans than to Africans. (White Americans even more so, of course.)

Last edited by Neuling; 03-05-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Pan-Africa doesn't make much sense, that whole idea is basically based on a racist and victim mindset. Racist because to non-Africans Africans all look very similar if not the same, so we simply lack the "resolution" to identify all the thousands of different ethnic groups in Africa, which are just as different from each other as, say, the Russians are from the Portuguese in Europe, or the Indians from the Chinese in Asia.

And with those Africans who like the idea of Pan-Africa, it is mostly based on the naive perception of "us Africans" (the sum of black victims of colonialism) vs the abusive rest of the world.
But when you look at African countries, they are often a mess within, hence all the civil wars. Colonialists drew arbitrary borders, which have forced very different ethnic groups into the same borders, without there being any uniting aspect. It's like forcing Indians and Pakistanis into one country, despite their dislike for each other, just because they live next to each other. So how can there be Pan-Africa, when there is not even Pan-Nigeria or Pan-Mozambique...

There is nothing African about African-Americans anymore, and Africans know that, so naturally they don't care much about African-Americans just because those look similar and feel kind of lost and unwelcome in their own country.
I would go so far as to say African-Americans are closer to Europeans than to Africans. (White Americans even more so, of course.)
I go by the belief that anyone who straw man a complex argument to something as simplistic as saying " victim mindset" and than attach the term racism out of context is probably racist themselves. The right commonly use that as talking points Like wise it doesn't matter what topics it is civil rights, women women economic equality. Your straw man anything political to left with terms terms like social warriors and Victim mindset. When actually that a straw man to avoid listening to what some else says. So rather then actually listening to what someone else says they maybe they're right or wrong, you already wrap in your ideology not to listen to them.

I also learned when Blacks speak about history and culture the far right that's often white makes it about them. When blacks speak about history they not blaming whites they simply speaking about history but if some one on the far right has a white guilt complex and makes it about them. Then it becomes impossible to speak about history.

I think what you identify as Pan African is not what I identify as Pan Africans

Another issue by the far right they have no center

Like wise So you criticize Africans in Africa blaming but you also criticize African not working together.

"they are often a mess within, hence all the civil wars." this the exact reason why it should be Pan Africans you did nothing but help make the point. The Error is you decide among yourself that Pan Africism is blaming.

This is why I said your view of Pan Africans is not the same as minds, To me Pan Africanism is just raising awareness of different cultures and history of Africans and African descendant in the Diaspora. There literally 0 reason to be against that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,370 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Reputation: 8487
I am not from the far right or racist at all, to the contrary I am progressive and liberal, but not blind. I just don't see any pan-African whatever in Africa. People are egoistic everywhere, and each ethnic group cares about itself. People in Uganda don't give a crap about people in Nigeria or Somalia. They are not in any way united just because they happen to have black skin.

Pan-Africa is a naive idea, probably originating with people from outside Africa looking at that abused continent.
But there is no Pan-Africa, just like there is no Pan-Asia or Pan-America.

I don't like the word diaspora and what it stands for. African-Americans have no right to go back to Africa, it is not their continent, their future is in America where they belong. Just like white Americans have no right to go back to Europe. They simply are not from there. There is no point in trying to turn back time, it's impossible.

When I look at Liberia, that idea is doomed to failure, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top