U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,245,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
Its part of it. We're all in the same boat, like it or not. If you don't agree, go lecture the Asians and tell them how they are wrong to call themselves Asian--That's the deal.
What boat would that be that all black people on the planet are in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
We all have a common history of racism and oppression--that boat.

Are you sure about that? Ethiopians living in Ethiopia share a history of racism with black Americans.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM

2,344 posts, read 952,068 times
Quote:
We all have a common history of racism and oppression--that boat.
There's probably more intra-African "racism" and oppression than there is between blacks and whites. How many African genocides have there been between different ethnic groups?

The mentality of saying "let's all unite against the white man" only really exists in countries with black minorities. In most of Africa, there simply are no white people so "black unity" is meaningless.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM

60 posts, read 42,763 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. You should now go onto the Asia forum and tell all the Asian Americans that they aren't Asian--you know, because they were born here, are likely mixed with lots of different ethnic groups and don't practice the culture and all that. They shouldn't claim Asia--they know nothing about it and couldn't tell you what part of Asia they're from--let alone what country--they are largely foreign at the end of the day...
The point seemed to have went over your head. Way over your head. Tritone's point summed up my post perfectly.

I'd try to make my point more explicit but you seem very obstinate in accepting that black-Americans are African ambiguous and have no "place" to trace their roots back to.
It's really not that much different than most white Americans who have been in this country for multiple generations. They're European ambiguous as well, and don't really have a focal point to trace their roots back to.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 PM

691 posts, read 920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
There's probably more intra-African "racism" and oppression than there is between blacks and whites. How many African genocides have there been between different ethnic groups?

The mentality of saying "let's all unite against the white man" only really exists in countries with black minorities. In most of Africa, there simply are no white people so "black unity" is meaningless.

Tribalism is the thing in Africa,I have seen it between 2 of my African friends and they were from the same
country...Speaking from experience, I have seen a very strong "We" vs. "Them" mentality.

I think where Africa needs to unite is where China is concerned, The Chinese in Africa are building infrastructure at the expense of taking Africa's mineral wealth..The Chinese are not even hiring Africans
to do the work but bring there own people in, leaving Africans unemployed nor do they care about the
genocides.

The Europeans at least paid the Africans for work done,and do provide humanitarian relief during human
crisis's. Then Chinese discriminate against Africans in their own country. The Chinese can be more racist than
the Europeans and more merciless. Lots have been written and discussed about white on black racism, but
I don't see or hear much on non-white-non-black racism against blacks.

Are the Chinese going to leave? and who will maintain the infrastructure? For example, who will maintain
Eko-Atlantic in Nigeria after it is built? China should be the big wake-up call for black Africa.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
The racism you refer to was in large part created and manipulated by the Europeans.
Detail the part that wasn't created by Europeans?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:19 PM

338 posts, read 245,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
The point seemed to have went over your head. Way over your head. Tritone's point summed up my post perfectly.

I'd try to make my point more explicit but you seem very obstinate in accepting that black-Americans are African ambiguous and have no "place" to trace their roots back to.
It's really not that much different than most white Americans who have been in this country for multiple generations. They're European ambiguous as well, and don't really have a focal point to trace their roots back to.

Interesting topic. Being an African American our ethnicity consists of many cultures(including European) but one can't deny that it's overwhelmingly African in nature. The music, food, dance, social experiences can all be traced back to the continent. We can get caught up in semantics and try to specify which tribe each of us belonged to(which are many of course) but can't deny the connection is there. That's why some of us whom identify as quote "Pan African" celebrate cultures throughout the continent as our ethnic background consists of many African tribes.

Last edited by jkc2j; 04-20-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Interesting topic. Being an African American our ethnicity consists of many cultures(including European) but one can't deny that it's overwhelmingly African in nature. The music, food, dance, social experiences can all be traced back to the continent. We can get caught up in semantics and try to specify which tribe each of us belonged to(which are many of course) but can't deny the connection is there. That's why some of us whom identify as quote "Pan African" celebrate cultures throughout the continent as our ethnic background consists of many African tribes.
Excluding African immigrants, multigeneration black Americans' ancestry is virtually all in West Africa, not throughout the entire continent. And even in that one region there are hundreds of tribes, with different cultures and practices and different languages. Trying to 'trace your roots' is a vapid concept, since it is impossible to trace what tribes you are from (matrilineal and patrilineal only traces your very first ancestor on each side).

Black Americans barely know 'where they're from', and if they so happen to get one of those generic ancestry tests to tell them what regions their ancestry resides in, it still does not tell them, nor can they find out what tribes they are mixed with.

Black Americans are also largely ignorant about African culture. It's not monolithic; it's so vast and diverse. So many languages and traditions.

So no, the entire continent does not 'belong' to black Americans. Not even that the region of West Africa. Black Americans are what the title suggests: Americans of African descent.

Not a hard concept fam.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:07 PM

2,344 posts, read 952,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
Black Americans barely know 'where they're from', and if they so happen to get one of those generic ancestry tests to tell them what regions their ancestry resides in, it still does not tell them, nor can they find out what tribes they are mixed with.
I've been trying my hardest to convince black people that we are from the United States. We are the natives here.

Why not trace what states all your ancestors were from, follow all the paper trails, read all the stories.

What's wrong with that?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I've been trying my hardest to convince black people that we are from the United States. We are the natives here.

Why not trace what states all your ancestors were from, follow all the paper trails, read all the stories.

What's wrong with that?
I always roll my eyes when I hear people say that sort of drivel. Some blacks really try hard to separate themselves from a "white-washed" black person and to seem more aligned with how they "should" act. My grandfather says similar stuff, and no matter how logical my explanation is, he insists that he is "African" but yet he can't even tell me what country he's from.

At the end of the day you're still an American culturally, just of African ancestry. But your ancestry doesn't mean much of anything. Literally every person in this country, sans Amerindians, can trace their ancestry outside of North America.

Genes pass down, not culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or