Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't see anything in African-American culture that seems african.
And I don't see any attempt by African-Americans to connect with african culture.
Open you eyes and perhaps your mind will follow, better yet open your ears. For over forty years I've played drums and percussion. While playing professionally as a jazz drummer I fell in with Afro-Puerto Rican musicians which led me to work with Afro-Cuban, Afro-Brazilian drumming and finally work with West Africans. The transitions were seamless, we spoke the same musical language we played as if we had played together all of our lives. Anyone that argues that there isn't an interconnectedness are the ones who are delusional, in denial, or are just deaf, dumb and blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM

132 posts, read 122,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Technically, black Africans sold other Africans as commodity,so I don't think Africans ever gave a damn about Africans in North America, not from the beginning. Pan Africanism is very much a product of the African American inferiority complex. Africa is a large diverse place, the concept of Pan Africanism is ridiculous.
So by your logic, the American whites who have a Pan European ideology also have an inferiority complex, right?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM

134 posts, read 162,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
So by your logic, the American whites who have a Pan European ideology also have an inferiority complex, right?
Pretty much

in Europe no one in their wildest dreams would consider all those rednecks from the US Europeans, we laugh when they claim to be Germans, and irish and italians!!...

just like no one in Africa see you delusional American mulatos as africans

you're not even pure africans, you're a mixed people from the US

Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
Evidently, it seems Americans in general don't have a clue...they are in THEIR OWN racial and ethnic reality, many not all
of course..the rest of the world sees things for what they actually are..

Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 162,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Evidently, it seems Americans in general don't have a clue...they are in THEIR OWN racial and ethnic reality, many not all
of course..the rest of the world sees things for what they actually are..
I agree, they are truly delusional and uninformed....

Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I came across these videos which I found interesting the Dr. traced her roots to Cameroon through DNA and wants to reconnect the demeanor of the reporter in Cameroon during the interview I thinks speaks volumes, I think he views her as an American interloper. I don't think that most Africans view African-Americans as African. I actually felt bad for her during the interviews she seems like a nice lady and he behaved like an ass in my opinion.

I have noticed that some African-Americans want to reconnect with their African roots but I don't believe the feeling is mutual with Africans. What do you think? I really think most Africans would prefer African-Americans stay out of Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57S69g0Rb5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVD2u_o8qU
My take on it is most Africans don't care and no by and large they don't consider AA to be "real Africans."

Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Um Haiti is not in North America...
Sue your geography teacher.

Geopolitically, the Caribbean islands are usually regarded as a subregion of North America[4][5][6][7][8] and are organized into 30 territories including sovereign states, overseas departments, and dependencies.

[4]^ Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications (M49), United Nations Statistics Division
[5]^ North America Atlas National Geographic
[6]^ "North America" Atlas of Canada
[7]^ "North America". Britannica Concise Encyclopedia; "... associated with the continent is Greenland, the largest island in the world, and such offshore groups as the Arctic Archipelago, the Bahamas, the Greater and Lesser Antilles, the Queen Charlotte Islands, and the Aleutian Islands."
[8]^ The World: Geographic Overview, The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency; "North America is commonly understood to include the island of Greenland, the isles of the Caribbean, and to extend south all the way to the Isthmus of Panama."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Pretty much

in Europe no one in their wildest dreams would consider all those rednecks from the US Europeans, we laugh when they claim to be Germans, and irish and italians!!...
I have met precious few people in America who claimed to be German, Irish, or Italian in the same semantic as a European German, Irish, or Italian. When an American says, "I am German." What they are saying is, "I am German-American" or "I am of German ancestry." They are assuming you have the intellectual capacity to realize they are American, but want to notify you that they identify with a sub-ethnic cultural group.

You should be proud they think that much of your ability to realize that. Especially considering you are so gauche as to regard an entire country as "all those rednecks".

Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM

132 posts, read 122,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Pretty much

just like no one in Africa see you delusional American mulatos as africans

you're not even pure africans, you're a mixed people from the US
I don't think you know very much about Black Americans; the overwhelming majority of us do not see ourselves as African. The one's who do are very naive and don't understand how important ethnicity is to the Africans.

And for the record, we're not mixed.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
How many blacks from the Caribbean are lambasted by many black Americans because we prefer to have a dual identity
I know a hell of a lot of Jamaicans, Bajans, and Trinidadians, and I have never them lambasted by anyone (not that any black born American would dare to do so) nor have I ever met a Jamaican, a Bajan, or a Trinidadian who doesn't identify as being a black American and a Jamaican, Bajan or Trinidadian as they feel appropriate.

Quote:
We are told that the "cop doesn't make difference between a Jamaican or a black American if he choses to be abusive".
Someone had to tell you that?

Quote:
We are told that we are being "tribal" by insisting on our dual identity.
By who, some black conservative? Cause as I pointed out above, black Americans respect folks who have strong ties with their roots.

Quote:
We are also told that we have this dual identity because we "don't want to be black".
If that is your experience I think that criticism is based upon another issue.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM

922 posts, read 805,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
Its funny how racists show their racism--even when protected by the anonymity of the internet. Educate yourself before posting, please.

Africans sold prisoners of war, criminals and enemy soldiers as slaves--not "Their own people". Africa is not a country--I hope you realize this. It is home to thousands of tribes(nations), ethnicities and languages. The Europeans and Arabs manipulated this by giving guns to some nations to use against others. Slavery was a devastating blow to economy and population in Africa--one that they haven't recovered from yet.
That's what I wrote, Africans did tell other Africans as slaves did they not? Europeans sold other Europeans as slaves did they not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa