U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2016, 08:17 PM
AFP AFP started this thread
 
6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Reputation: 5878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToShowSomething View Post
Where did you get the impression that most Africans wish that African Americans would stay out of Africa? I've spoken with a decent number of native Africans and the general consensus is, they wish Europeans would return to Europe and stay off of their land.
I have spoken with a number of Africans that don't view black Americans with any greater affinity than white Americans. The topic came up a number of times over the years I have worked with quite a few Africans one reason it came up was due to the fact that some black Americans have the habit of calling anyone black "bro" or "brother". But yeah you have a point with the word most. In addition I don't believe I have heard any of the Africans that I have worked with over the years refer to black Americans as African American.

Last edited by AFP; 06-07-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2016, 10:06 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,299 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I have spoken with a number of Africans that don't view black Americans with any greater affinity than white Americans. The topic came up a number of times over the years I have worked with quite a few Africans one reason it came up was due to the fact that some black Americans have the habit of calling anyone black "bro" or "brother". But yeah you have a point with the word most. In addition I don't believe I have heard any of the Africans that I have worked with over the years refer to black Americans as African American.
I'm not entire sure that I believe you, but OK. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 PM
AFP AFP started this thread
 
6,898 posts, read 4,238,493 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToShowSomething View Post
I'm not entire sure that I believe you, but OK. Thanks for sharing.


Okay no problem I don't need you to believe me obviously we've had different experiences. I have worked mostly with doctors, PA's, and Nurses a significant number of whom have been African and I can tell you the dynamics have been interesting most have been Nigerians(at least 20) two Ghanaians, and one person from the following countries, Liberia, Cameroon, Zimbabwe(raised in South Africa), and Tanzania over a 10 year period.

Last edited by AFP; 06-07-2016 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2016, 11:38 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,299 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Okay no problem I don't need you to believe me obviously we've had different experiences. I have worked mostly with doctors, PA's, and Nurses a significant number of whom have been African and I can tell you the dynamics have been interesting most have been Nigerians(at least 20) two Ghanaians, and one person from the following countries, Liberia, Cameroon, Zimbabwe(raised in South Africa), and Tanzania over a 10 year period.
Cool story dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 03:51 PM
 
5,191 posts, read 4,676,837 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Okay no problem I don't need you to believe me obviously we've had different experiences. I have worked mostly with doctors, PA's, and Nurses a significant number of whom have been African and I can tell you the dynamics have been interesting most have been Nigerians(at least 20) two Ghanaians, and one person from the following countries, Liberia, Cameroon, Zimbabwe(raised in South Africa), and Tanzania over a 10 year period.
Doesn't it seem odd that the nubian olmecs want to claim everything under the sun except fatherhood and personal responsibility?

With all the welfare available they still find themselves in damn near 3rd world conditions yet have delsuions that they are "divine children of the sun".

Afrocentrism is a disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 PM
 
329 posts, read 244,595 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Doesn't it seem odd that the nubian olmecs want to claim everything under the sun except fatherhood and personal responsibility?

With all the welfare available they still find themselves in damn near 3rd world conditions yet have delsuions that they are "divine children of the sun".

Afrocentrism is a disease.

Dude. Just. Stop. And never post again.. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I .
No, it's not a fact that Black Americans can't rely on their communities to be successful. That's your opinion based on your own subjective experiences. Buy hey, believe what you want at this point..


So explain the pitiful state of black businesses in this country. Blacks remain highly segregated, so if blacks supported each other's ventures there should be ample opportunities to create thriving businesses.


Yet even you concede that this isn't the case. Go to any black neighborhood and the bulk of the retail businesses are owned by non blacks. And invariably, aside from corporate entities, these aren't white owned.


Note that blacks have been living in the USA far longer than any non white group, aside from Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 08:53 AM
 
329 posts, read 244,595 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So explain the pitiful state of black businesses in this country. Blacks remain highly segregated, so if blacks supported each other's ventures there should be ample opportunities to create thriving businesses.


Yet even you concede that this isn't the case. Go to any black neighborhood and the bulk of the retail businesses are owned by non blacks. And invariably, aside from corporate entities, these aren't white owned.


Note that blacks have been living in the USA far longer than any non white group, aside from Native Americans.

May want to go back and re read my posts. We've already had this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 08:54 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I have spoken with a number of Africans that don't view black Americans with any greater affinity than white Americans. The topic came up a number of times over the years I have worked with quite a few Africans one reason it came up was due to the fact that some black Americans have the habit of calling anyone black "bro" or "brother". But yeah you have a point with the word most. In addition I don't believe I have heard any of the Africans that I have worked with over the years refer to black Americans as African American.


The issue is more complex than this. Africans do not see black Americans as fellow Africans. They might see some level of affinity with Caribbean blacks, as there are more obvious Africanisms surviving, but even here they still see difference.


Africans will be amused by black Americans who see themselves as "Africans", and who imply that the differences are shallow. But they are definitely proud of people like Oprah. They see her as a black woman who makes black people proud, just as they see Obama in the same light.


They respect black Americans who have made good for themselves within the USA. They despise those who haven't. They laugh at those who reject an "American" identity for that of an "African". But they, as blacks living in the USA, are fully aware of the important role of racism in forming group identity. Remember that they too have American born kids, and are fully aware of the issues of racism, and rejection that these kids endure as they attempt to form American identities.


So it is true that Africans don't see black Americans as "brother". But they surely see them as "cousin".


To say that they don't see them any different from how they see whites! Not true. Even those inclined to think so are bound by race relations to form some level of identity with black Americans, and Caribbean blacks as blacks.


I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the popularity of black American culture and style throughout black Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
May want to go back and re read my posts. We've already had this discussion.


No need to. Packed with fantasies that blacks before the Civil Rights movement were wealthy business owners, when the vast majority were laborers, or maids, and were seriously impoverished, and rarely high school graduates.


You still cannot explain why the vast majority of black neighborhoods are served by retail businesses owned by immigrants. That is if there are business at all.


It was a black American business owner who told me that black people think that "the white man's ice is colder". He was raised in the Jim Crow South, and I suspect that this thinking didn't start in 1965.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top