U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:03 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I.. Those Black business owners and professionals whom desire to work together to invest in our communities should be the ones to teach..

Why don't you ask them how many of them aren't too caught up in struggling to survive?

Many black professionals, working in the corporate world, so with stable incomes, do engage in charitable work.

Business owners, struggling to meet payroll, and too busy trying to prevent the IRS from shutting down their businesses, don't have that luxury.

What will be of interest to you is that the vast majority of blacks, who own retail businesses, want their kids to go to college and then get a safe JOB. Many of their kids plan to do exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 AM

323 posts, read 242,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No need to. Packed with fantasies that blacks before the Civil Rights movement were wealthy business owners, when the vast majority were laborers, or maids, and were seriously impoverished, and rarely high school graduates.

You still cannot explain why the vast majority of black neighborhoods are served by retail businesses owned by immigrants. That is if there are business at all.

It was a black American business owner who told me that black people think that "the white man's ice is colder". He was raised in the Jim Crow South, and I suspect that this thinking didn't start in 1965.

Again, go back re read my posts. We've already had this discussion. Of course there were Blacks laborers, maids, etc. You also had Black banks, grocery stores, law firms, hardware stores, restaurants etc. Of course we're speaking of the early 20th which slavery was barely over 60 years old at this point. The point is most of these businesses were Black owned and places like Black Wall Street thrived because we were working together. Forced or not.

That's not even taking to account the suffocating Jim Crow laws of the time that kept Blacks from obtaining some of the same resources that whites had. I believe we did quite well given the circumstances but according to your standards we didn't so much. That's non sense.

Again, Black people have been conditioned since slavery that we can't thrive without the help of outside groups. We've been taught that we don't need each other in order to be successful and thrive. As an individual, one can become quite successful, as a group, not so much. In my opinion this is why Blacks can be easily controlled and can't have an agenda that benefits the group as a whole.

If my Black owned business depends solely on the patronage from outside groups then I'm also subject to said groups best insterest more than my own. The solution is that we need people committed to the well being of the whole group and not just the individual. Too many educated Blacks once they get to a certain level it seems as if they turn their backs on the communites which birth them. When the ones that have means don't invest and build businesses in their communities it leaves the door wide open for other groups to come in and capitalize. It's that simple.

As I've stated on multiple posts, we need a reconditioning of the mind set, which starts with the next generation.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-11-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Quote:
The issue is more complex than this. Africans do not see black Americans as fellow Africans. They might see some level of affinity with Caribbean blacks, as there are more obvious Africanisms surviving, but even here they still see difference.

Africans will be amused by black Americans who see themselves as "Africans", and who imply that the differences are shallow. But they are definitely proud of people like Oprah. They see her as a black woman who makes black people proud, just as they see Obama in the same light.

They respect black Americans who have made good for themselves within the USA. They despise those who haven't. They laugh at those who reject an "American" identity for that of an "African". But they, as blacks living in the USA, are fully aware of the important role of racism in forming group identity. Remember that they too have American born kids, and are fully aware of the issues of racism, and rejection that these kids endure as they attempt to form American identities.

So it is true that Africans don't see black Americans as "brother". But they surely see them as "cousin".

To say that they don't see them any different from how they see whites! Not true. Even those inclined to think so are bound by race relations to form some level of identity with black Americans, and Caribbean blacks as blacks.

I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the popularity of black American culture and style throughout black Africa.
"My statement was Africans don't view black Americans with any greater affinity than white Americans". I am referring to your average every day Americans that people interact with or acquaintances not "Beyonce" or "Oprah" or "Mohamed Ali".

I had a frank conversation with a coworker once who is a Yoruba and he stated that honestly the "color thing" isn't something he thinks about much and while interacting with people of different races he "forgets" that some people view black people negatively but at times is reminded of it by how some people respond to him. He also did tell me as well that he has been told be a couple of black Americans that he isn't "Black". He laughed while relating the story to me. Yeah he does listen to rap music but he also listened to country music.

Had another conversation with a Nigerian woman whose daughter was a student at UC Berkeley I don't even know how the conversation came up but she expressed she would not be happy if her daughter chose to marry either a black American or white American she was quite concerned about it.

I'm not convinced most Africans see black Americans as cousins I've watched the dynamics for years and don't even think some Africans view Africans from other Africans as cousins. I notice a significant difference when two individuals of the same country meet especially the same tribe vs the almost indifference you see sometimes when two Africans from different countries meet each other for the first time at work.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM

691 posts, read 918,542 times
I agree that Africans view Americans as Americans first black or white, and among themselves they go by ethnic identity
first, then national identity...HOWEVER upon arriving in the social context of the United States AND being culturally outside
of it, they do what they feel comfortable with in this culture. For example, I know Nigerians who are integral members of
some Black American churches and they SHOUT and DANCE along with the Black American members.

Now some of these same Nigerians might like Country Music which many Black Americans don't, so they move in American
society where they feel comfortable...When they experience racism, they discuss it with us..,Africans have also given me their opinions regarding White Americans, Asians, Latinos and Europeans, and some of it was not very flattering. The NON-
Nigerian Africans always had a "Nigerian Story" and it seems Nigerians have a reputation on the Continent. They also had
an opinion on poor Whites and poor Blacks. They are NOT constrained by what Americans think as in "Black people do this, and "White people do that".

One puzzling thing is that the West Africans I have known most of them LOOKED DOWN on Asians (Indians and people from
Japan, China, Korea etc.?) They also have talked about Middle Easterners very bad also. I wonder where this superiority to
Asians comes from? I tell them its not nice, would you like them to comment on blackness?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM

I think it is a complex issue, the various interactions between different nationalities and ethnic groups of black people, you
can't use the one-size fits all definition of Pan-African theory,if you are to use it, you have to think in terms of degrees of it.
For example, the Nigerians in a Black American church, that might be one instance and degree of Pan African theory..

Old 06-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Incidentally, I did have several African guys at work call me "brother" first...I was sitting at my desk one day and there was
an African guy wandering the hallway...He saw me and said "Since I was his brother, could I tell him how to get a "medical
job" because he knew medicine in Guinea...He had just came from Guinea and had no clue how things are done here. He
seemed to give off the impression he can just walk in and apply for an MD job. and then wanted my phone number. The other
one he would always smile and speak in the hall, I would say "Greetings to you Sir"....he would say "Hello Brother"...

It all depends on the person..

Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times
Quote:
Wealthy black Americans prefer Paris than Dakar. If they do Africa, it will be South Africa, with its safaris, and with an environment that is closer to what they are accustomed to in the USA. And where they can better insulate themselves from 3rd world backwardness.

I seriously don't see Oprah prancing around the streets of Liberia, where DNA analysis suggests that some of her ancestors came from. She will more do South Africa.

Oprah had an event to commemorate the movie Selma. All the wealthy Negroes were there quite happy that the waiters and other staff were whites.

So when folks babble about what wealthy blacks do, understand this. They want to show that they have arrived, and are mainstream, so aren't much more likely to be supportive of black business ventures than are whites.

And let us be honest. What does the black Diaspora have to offer Africa. We do not even have economic leverage within our own societies, much less have an ability to assist Africa to access markets, technology, or management expertise. Just look at what happens to cities in the USA when their populations become majority black. They cannot sustain, because they lack a tax base. This because there is insufficient business activity to generate tax revenues.

Let us get real here.
Over 70% to 75% of Black Americans are middle class

And The Black American buying power is over 1.1 Trillion while not the same thing that number is in the area of a top 15 GPA...

So it Black Americans did invest it would help a lot.......

The's a wreath gap between Black and white Americans,

How ever

The's a wreath gap between Black Americans and non western counties.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:35 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
The Black vs. Asia thign I don't get either and I'm African. Like when I here Africans refer to East Asians as Ching Chongs...........
Mostly only Old or Uneducated Nigerians and Africans in general refer to Asians with such derogatory words but so many Africans talk about Asians for no reason.

I generally bond more with Africans than White Americans because we c an talk about hair and trivial things like the best black barbershop, or how we have to brush up on our dancing since it is obligatory that the black guy has to be a good dancer. Things I like that many Blacks don't seem to like includes Country Music and Soccer. Nigerians tend to go "black" by second or third generation though. I recently went to a reunion and it was in Alief were the first waves of Africans were, I saw so many Nigerian Americans that literally looked like and dressed like and talked like an African American from Alief. I saw this one lightskin dude who looked like Michael Ealy had a baby with Drake and got the haircut of O'Dell Beckham Junior, I had to ask him several times if he was Nigerian, I have met some light skinned Nigerians before (My Aunt is one), with no white admixture that have the same skin tone as an average Nigerian. Anyway the point is after a while at the Reunion which took place in Alief I started mistaking a lot of the parkgoers (who were mostly AA for someone who was a second or third generation Nigerian). Obviously they are black but, until I was at that reunion I could always tell by gut when I was talking to an african or an AA, a lot of these guys were basically AA's, even with both parents being Nigerian.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 PM

I was a little surprised to meet West Africans who were medium brown in SL a light black person would be considered "Bright" I was told
and the example was a light brown AA friend we both had. I'm about the color of Nelson Mandela.

I think after the 3rd generation you are accurate to the host country.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 PM

As far as the Asian issue, I was told Indians are nasty and the British said "The Africans might be black but they are clean" Also that
Indians have an inferiority complex to white
people. With the other Asians, it was about their features. I'm thinking people could talk about black features (our noses,lips and hair).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or