U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:34 PM

931 posts, read 613,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
Your ignorance is becoming tiresome....

Yes the Europeans are still utilizing slave labor in Africa. They manufacture clothes, farm chocolate and work the mines--all for the betterment of White people.
Why don't you abolish it? You go be the next Martin Luther King!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,171,210 times
Quote:
Nice generalization. Have you ever even met a Black African?
I live in NYC. I've met plenty of black Africans. I answered the question honestly. I don't see what was so wrong about what I said.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 PM

131 posts, read 99,206 times
Quote:
And how many Black Americans do you really know? You call yourself "The Black American," but are you sure you're not just some white guy with too much time on his hands? The opposite is, in fact true. A lot of black people really want to have a connection to Africa--which we do have.
I'm black, I'm just really ethnocentric. A lot of black people may want to have a connection to Africa, but those people don't include Black Americans for the most part. We've been in the US for 400yrs and developed our own Western culture in the process. We have no connection to Africa aside from skin color.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 PM

931 posts, read 613,346 times
Quote:
No, you keep saying that Africa is one big country. Africans didn't see each other as Africans. They saw themselves as members of their nations, kingdoms etc.
But they did sell other Africans as slaves, Europeans did not get along either, Europeans at the time saw other Europeans as outsiders too. The point is, slavery is a thing of the past, you can't blame the white man for slavery all the time.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM

907 posts, read 555,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
But they did sell other Africans as slaves, Europeans did not get along either, Europeans at the time saw other Europeans as outsiders too. The point is, slavery is a thing of the past, you can't blame the white man for slavery all the time.
The nature of African slavery was much different than European-African slavery. When Africans took slaves, it was frequently to spare the slave's life in war. It was either enslave them, or kill them. Further, a slave under a tribe could work himself up to be a rather respected person within that tribe. The ceiling was much higher than in the West. He would be allowed to marry from that tribe, and crucially, his kids would not be born slaves....they would be born equal members of that tribe. Slavery was a one generation concept, if that. Sometimes a former slave would be one of the most esteemed people in the tribe.

European slavery however was a birthright based on skin color. When Africans sold slaves, they didn't sell them thinking that they would be slaves for generations upon generations. Secondly, when Europeans acquired slaves, it wasn't always that they bought them...at times, they would simply capture a person going about his business. The European conception of slavery is much much different from the African conception of slavery. Slavery in Africa was done out of the good will of the people (either enslave prisoners of war, or kill them). It was seen as the kinder option and at times, it would be requested by the captured person(s). It is in no way similar to what Europeans did to African slaves.

Don't conflate the two.

And finally, slavery is hardly a thing of the past. It goes on today, in the Middle East especially.

Last edited by gumisgood; 11-24-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM

907 posts, read 555,983 times
Read the Wikipedia article...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

Quote:
Slavery in African cultures was generally more like indentured servitude..... Slaves were often not the chattel of other men, nor enslaved for life.[10]
Here's a quote (I know, wikipedia isn't a credible academic source but I'm not in college so spare me. It's the truth in this instance.)

There were lots of different systems of slavery in Africa (as many as there were different tribes, it was tribe dependent), but what is certain is that equating African slavery to European slavery is false.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:45 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Read the Wikipedia article...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

Here's a quote (I know, wikipedia isn't a credible academic source but I'm not in college so spare me. It's the truth in this instance.)

There were lots of different systems of slavery in Africa (as many as there were different tribes, it was tribe dependent), but what is certain is that equating African slavery to European slavery is false.

Transatlantic slavery was unique. It was under this system that a whole sub strata of humanity was confined to the bottom, by virtue of their racial ancestry. Elaborate systems were implemented to not only treat them as inferior, but even to make them believe that they were.

In another slave systems upward mobility was possible, and the off spring of the slaves often assimilated.

It is in the Transatlantic and Arabic slave systems, where this wasn't true. So even today the stigma and stain of slavery exists for many black populations in the Americas, and in the Arab dominated worlds. In fact the Arabs use the same word for slave, to describe blacks.

So yes many whites will claim that they weren't involved in slavery. But they did benefit from its aftermath where blacks were marked as the subordinate group. In fact the Irish immigrants, just off the boats from the Potato Famine, were incensed that blacks thought that they should be competitors for jobs. This even though most blacks had descended from people who lived in the USA BEFORE its founding as a nation,

Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 AM

402 posts, read 306,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
T So even today the stigma and stain of slavery exists for many black populations in the Americas, and in the Arab dominated worlds. In fact the Arabs use the same word for slave, to describe blacks.

So yes many whites will claim that they weren't involved in slavery. But they did benefit from its aftermath where blacks were marked as the subordinate group. In fact the Irish immigrants, just off the boats from the Potato Famine, were incensed that blacks thought that they should be competitors for jobs. This even though most blacks had descended from people who lived in the USA BEFORE its founding as a nation,
Wonder if it will take another 300 years to reverse the damage it's caused?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:42 PM

695 posts, read 736,010 times
I'm curious about how Pan-Africanism is any more a delusional fantasy than the European Union, especially considering it was the Europeans who brought the entire world into millitary conflict twice and who have committed genocides on a scale never before or since seen by human eyes.

The idea that Nigeria, South Africa and Somalia could work together for economic, cultural and social development couldn't possibly be any more ridiculous than the idea of Germany, France and the UK cooperating for the same goals. But for anyone in disagreement, feel free to explain your reasoning behind it.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:16 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
I think it is the only option for Africans. The west has demonstrated time and again that they don't care about the people of Africa. Work as one and unite.

Pure rhetoric, nonsense, and a putrid excuse to pretend as if Africans don't share the blame in what occurs on that continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or