U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 08:09 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,245,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No 7.6% of Brazil consider themselves Black this population is either full or majority. Another group 44% of Brazil is mixed, this group has various different degree to ancestry some are majority black other majority white. There was a genetic study that found a lot were European majority, but you can't take a few hundred to represents over 80 millions.

But I tell right now you think race in the US is exclusive

I give you an example singer Amerie she mixed Asian and Black. You could call her Asian or Black neither would be wrong. This is why mixed people are still consider black because race is not exclusive.

The Negative of the one drop rule wasn't that one drop makes you black, one of drop of anything logically makes part that. The error was one drop of anything else makes you not white. During the time you could never be consider part white. Historically white America would disclaim even family members. So you wouldn't see mix people embracing being part white.

Modernly if someone mixed is called, white, Black, Asian or what ever it doesn't mean they exclusively that one group. So if calling someone Afro Brazilian black doesn't insist they are just black. it means they have African ancestry mix in them.

Also that wasn't premise of the video, The priemse of the video was Brazilians that black or mixed are discriminated against.
1. I personally think those are outdated labels that don't belong in a modern society those labels carry too much baggage related to slavery.

2. I think that's how it is seen in Brazilian culture Afro Brazilian means one appears to have at least some sub-Saharan African ancestry. I've seen Brazilians that are over 20% African that don't look like they have an sub-Saharan African ancestry they would not be considered Afro Brazilian.

3. The video was terrible the reporter kept inserting her opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,581,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have been to many Latin American nations, and I disagree that they have far worse racial issues than the US. First of all reach country in Latin America has very different demographics, and politics. You cannot say the same things for race relations or other things throughout the same region.

As for the whole mulatto thing, I have never heard anyone call themselves or anyone else mulatto in Latin America . You sound like you've read books written by white Americans in the 60s.

If someone has obvious black features they call the person moreno (dark skinned) or negro.

With that said Pan Africanism is mainly people of African descent celebrating their heritage in some form, and Black people are not restricted to the US and Africa. You have many Black people in Latin America and the Caribbean.
As to the statement above, I have to disagree. I am currently in BA and my friends here will tell you because I am dark skinned I would be referred to as Negro, not Moreno. Moreno for all intents and purposes outside of Spain is for Latino's of Caramel complexion. And you should know this living in NYC as I do.

Also, I spend a lot of time in Brazil and can tell you really dark skinned people there are referred to as Negro...everything in between has a name as well(Cafuso, Mulatto, Caboclo, etc) to describe their hue or blackness if you will. Even the darker Brown individuals in Mexico are not called Moreno. Puerto Rico and in some places in the DR yes.

And as far as the socioeconomic/racial issues facing people of visible Afro, Indigenous, or Afro Indigenous descent they most certainly are issues. Favelas and Barrios in countries with large Afro___ populations are mainly populated by the racial groups I just listed. I spend a month each year in Brazil and can tell you the majority of Afro/ people are towards the bottom of the socioeconomic scale.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,581,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Go over to the Latin American thread on this same city-data and get ready to discuss racism against Afro Latinos, and you will see how fast it gets locked. Black Latin Americans say nothing in these forums, even though I bet they read them. So of course they admire the American black who is way more self confident in raising issues of racism, even if not highly successful in resolving the problem.

But tell me though. With its large population of Afro descendant Latin Americans in NYC, do you see any solidarity between these people and other blacks? I don't. If you want to start a fight just go over to a Dominican who looks like Zoe Saldana and call them "black". Its only the most enlightened who wouldn't accuse you of something not very nice.
My girlfriend is Dominican. Born in Santiago and of course they moved to NYC when she was around 11/12. From my personal experience living in Harlem....I see a sh%t load of solidarity. This is the thing...there are always those outliers of condescension right?? I saw that more on the Island than in NYC.....the people I know who are both PR and DR descent will admit that.

I must agree with your last statement I highlighted but as I stated that was more on the Island that where I live in the city...

Old 12-29-2016, 04:29 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,422,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. I personally think those are outdated labels that don't belong in a modern society those labels carry too much baggage related to slavery.

2. I think that's how it is seen in Brazilian culture Afro Brazilian means one appears to have at least some sub-Saharan African ancestry. I've seen Brazilians that are over 20% African that don't look like they have an sub-Saharan African ancestry they would not be considered Afro Brazilian.

3. The video was terrible the reporter kept inserting her opinions.
1. Most of those terms have nothing to do with slavery, some one being called white is something that outdated slavery. Being called black didn't become popular until after the 60s. Terms like negro are our date term that littary fell out use because of slavery.

2. I just told you race is not exclusive in modern America. How race was view during slavery is not how race is view now. Race now is just a idom word for ancestry. Race doesn't define who you can be around, date, act of what ever. Ancestry is something cultural that relates to family and etc. A person would not exist if wasn't for the people before them, people have right to celebrate their heritage. And if you multi cultural you right to celebrate those different cultures. If someone has an issue with people celebrating their heritage they telling on themselves that are uncomfortable with diversity.

Another weird I keep seeing in y'all post is saying people see themselves black first wtf does that even means? I'm black, male, Christian, American and etc non of that is first or second it just who I am. truth is y'all have weird or out dated view of race, and something not familiar sticks out so one black who's into learning about their ancestry you turn into that all they are. They are not putting themselves in box you are because your over stereotyping how is a black person who is into learning about their ancestry most be like.

3. So you think if you part something you can't say you part that and celebrate being part? As that how it would translate.

4. The racism in Latin countries they link race to class, the whiter or closer to European the more status you had, the closer you was to black or native the less. Caste refer to class. The raw hated and violence didn't exist in Latin counties as much but the idea of white supremacy carried through stereotypes, idea of beauty, discrimation and etc. there are way less Afro Latino involved gov, reaching highier education, appear in the media and etc compare to black Americans. The racial equality gap is much worst.

5. There was Afro Latinos in the videos I post, the reporter was stating what she learn from them.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM

You aren't comprehending my three points. Nevermind

Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 PM

691 posts, read 920,312 times
So basically in Brazil, they go by appearance? and have terms for different mixes in terms of appearance? While in the United States they are more concerned with White purity and go by ancestry, and label things binary Black or White with pure White being only designated as White?

As an AA, I personally find the Haitian racial classifications more comfortable, where they say "mix of black" or griffe.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You aren't comprehending my three points. Nevermind
I do but stongly disagree

Old 12-30-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I do but stongly disagree
Okay. Just out of curiosity are you Brazilian?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Okay. Just out of curiosity are you Brazilian?
No I getting all this from Afro Brazilians, THE UN, and etc.

The error with a lot of your post the base on loaded straw man, for example this thread " Pan-Africanism does it exist or is it a delusional fantasy?"

Then post videos about black Americans going to Africa, as if Pan-Africanism about black Americans going to Africa? that what Pan Africism even is,

Another example "I personally think those are outdated labels that don't belong in a modern society those labels carry too much baggage related to slavery." these terms have nothing do with slavery.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No I getting all this from Afro Brazilians, THE UN, and etc.

The error with a lot of your post the base on loaded straw man, for example this thread " Pan-Africanism does it exist or is it a delusional fantasy?"

Then post videos about black Americans going to Africa, as if Pan-Africanism about black Americans going to Africa? that what Pan Africism even is,

Another example "I personally think those are outdated labels that don't belong in a modern society those labels carry too much baggage related to slavery." these terms have nothing do with slavery.
This thread was started to learn more about Pan-Africanism and topics related to it. If you don't like it you can start a new one I find the topic interesting so I initially designed the thread to be controversial to elicit emotions in addition to facts to gain more insight.

I belong to a Brazilian forum with hundreds of members some of which are mixed who I have developed friendships with and where these topics are also discussed in Portuguese related to ethnicity and color in Brazil but the focus is to share genetic information. I don't expect you to agree with my views that isn't important to me. The thing is the thread was started over a year ago so some of my views have evolved a bit. I do that the labels used in Brazil related to color a a product of slavery I stand by my comments in reference to Brazil that these labels don't belong in a modern society.

Last edited by AFP; 12-31-2016 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or