U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 01:47 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,249,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's a heavy rate of substance abuse among white americans, and they mostly have two father families.

Drug abuse is prevalent in Latin America.

So no, it has nothing to do with racism or absentee fathers, or a lack of education.

Lots of Hollywood celebrities to drugs. Lots of people on Wall Street do drugs. Lots of people in the tech sector and other wealthy sectors do drugs.

It has nothing to do with poverty.

People take the stuff because it makes them feel good.
I think you mean two parent families.

I deal with incarcerated individuals many of whom are drug addicts and there is a clear pattern.(especially between having a history of abuse or neglect drug addiction and incarceration) If you don't want to see it I'm not here to convince you.

To be honest you aren't qualified to make proclamations.

It looks to me like you are making excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM

21,502 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Maybe we should open a separate thread on why people become drug addicts and how to save them...

Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe we should open a separate thread on why people become drug addicts and how to save them...
Yeah we're now way off topic.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 PM

691 posts, read 920,910 times
The basic issue is the dumbing down of American Culture where many young people are not being taught anything, for example on the bus the other day had to tell a young guy with pants hanging down his butt (white) let the seniors off of the
bus first or the preacher had to tell the people in the church before the sermon please turn off your cell phones or on family
and friends day at a church it was reported to me that upon entering the sanctuary the usher told a young man and his son
to remove their hats. They then took an attitude with the usher. Lack of civic behavior.

Some of these people don't even have common sense. These guys like Simmons etc. can spout "Keep It Real" all they want
but they would not have gotten where they are doing what some of these people are doing. When you own a company, you
can dress anyway you want..But when you go to the interview you should have enough sense to look presentable.

A lot of these peoples mouth have no filter, they don't know when to say, what to say or how to say or when to keep your
mouth shut. The older Black generation didn't let other people define who they were.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Quote:
I know only a single person that has a drug problem, I mean real drugs.
Some drugs are worse than others. I know people who drink wine on a regular basis, but despite being alcohol, they are not drug addicts. But when you start shooting heroine, it is a very different story. There is no healthy dose of heroine, unlike with wine. Not to mention meth and all those designer drugs. They are all horrible, without exception and regardless of the amount used.

But those more natural drugs are much less concentrated than what we refer to as drugs in the West today. After all, the indios did not have a social security system, they could not afford to have useless, criminal junkies in their societies.
You don't really know enough about their society and whether or not they had addicts. It's not like you can read books written by people living in the pre Columbian Americas. So people like you make up stuff about those societies, and make them into some sort of noble savage.

The West had alcoholics and junkies long before social security, that we do know. These issues existed in Asian and African societies too before social security. That we do know.

Now you start to qualify, but I've bet you've done some sort of drug yourself, since you are now speaking of "real" drugs.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think you mean two parent families.

I deal with incarcerated individuals many of whom are drug addicts and there is a clear pattern.(especially between having a history of abuse or neglect drug addiction and incarceration) If you don't want to see it I'm not here to convince you.

To be honest you aren't qualified to make proclamations.

It looks to me like you are making excuses.
I did drugs myself with wealthy white college students, actors, entertainers, bankers, lawyers, doctors (some of them do cocaine), etc. They don't go to jail either. They aren't targeted by police due to their money and their race, plus they have access to lawyers.

They came from two parent homes (as did I) had good educations (I have both a BA, and a MA), and were not abused.

The drugs are a part of a party scene.

It's completely not true that most people who use drugs come from poor, uneducated, backgrounds. This happens in all aspects of society.

Go to any bar, and talk to people and you'll find people who do drugs. People don't go to bars just for the alcohol.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:

But those more natural drugs are much less concentrated than what we refer to as drugs in the West today. After all, the indios did not have a social security system, they could not afford to have useless, criminal junkies in their societies.
Having done "natural" drugs and the chemically enhanced drugs, the only difference is concentration. Drink a lot of certain teas and you will be as high as you would have been if you did powder. And you can get pretty stoned from smoking weed, or eating weed edibles.

There were opium dens in the past as well.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I did drugs myself with wealthy white college students, actors, entertainers, bankers, lawyers, doctors (some of them do cocaine), etc. They don't go to jail either. They aren't targeted by police due to their money and their race, plus they have access to lawyers.

They came from two parent homes (as did I) had good educations (I have both a BA, and a MA), and were not abused.

The drugs are a part of a party scene.

It's completely not true that most people who use drugs come from poor, uneducated, backgrounds. This happens in all aspects of society.

Go to any bar, and talk to people and you'll find people who do drugs. People don't go to bars just for the alcohol.

Where did I say most people that use drugs come from poor, uneducated backgrounds.

It's pretty clear I was talking about drug addicts and relapse prevention plans and(what I stated is that there is a link between having a history of sexual, emotional, physical abuse/neglect--->drug addiction---> incarceration. All of the other things I listed come into play, however I did not state there is a cause and effect between poverty and the recreational use of drugs nor am I saying that everyone that is abused/neglected will become a drug addict and end up incarcerated what I am stated is that a very high percentage based on personal experience of those that are incarcerated with a drug related offense(with a history of addiction) have been abused neglected.

It appears that the focus of my discussion is different than yours and it appears to me you are having a conversation with yourself and picking pieces out of context from my posts to support what you want to say.

Yes there are people who are recreational users of drugs and aren't addicts and many of them are white, well educated, and rich etc. that is well known. I don't dispute that.

Last edited by AFP; 02-28-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 PM

21,502 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Quote:
You don't really know enough about their society and whether or not they had addicts. It's not like you can read books written by people living in the pre Columbian Americas. So people like you make up stuff about those societies, and make them into some sort of noble savage.

The West had alcoholics and junkies long before social security, that we do know. These issues existed in Asian and African societies too before social security. That we do know.

Now you start to qualify, but I've bet you've done some sort of drug yourself, since you are now speaking of "real" drugs.
No, I am too intelligent and strong to take drugs. Never took any recreational drugs, never smoked anything. I did take a sip of beer like three decades ago, but hated the taste of it, and what I saw in my father, who used to be an alcoholic.
My health is everything to me, my entire life, my happiness, my relationships, etc. depend on it. My body is like my child, I am responsible for it, there is no justification for damaging it. I am obliged to maintain it as perfect as possible for as long as possible.

I don't share your view at all that drug abuse has always been what it is today. One key and obvious difference is all those drugs that are injected with syringes.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
No, I am too intelligent and strong to take drugs. Never took any recreational drugs, never smoked anything. I did take a sip of beer like three decades ago, but hated the taste of it, and what I saw in my father, who used to be an alcoholic.
My health is everything to me, my entire life, my happiness, my relationships, etc. depend on it. My body is like my child, I am responsible for it, there is no justification for damaging it. I am obliged to maintain it as perfect as possible for as long as possible.

I don't share your view at all that drug abuse has always been what it is today. One key and obvious difference is all those drugs that are injected with syringes.
No. Opiates can be taken in pill forms, and most drugs are not injected. Plenty of drugs are smoked, taken in pill form, or drank in liquid form. Or sniffed.

And it seems like your family issues with your father have made you irrational.

But yes, there's plenty of historical records in the past about drug use, and drug use and even abuse in various forms and that includes alcoholism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or