U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again I study a lot of the history of Jazz. During the time jazz was viewed as rebelious and edgy..

I am fully aware that jazz was stigmatized and still is by those who think that Euro classical music represents the ultimate.

I suggest that you actually listen to the high degree of artistry of jazz and then compare it to the verbal diarrhea of much of today's rap and you can see a huge difference. In fact even compare rap of the 80s and early 90s with what we have today. Compare "Fight the Power" with some idiot grunting about guns, "B's", hos, and "N's".

This is why so many of us are lost. We decided after the 70s to condone decadent behavior by a segment of the black population which would NOT have been tolerated before then. Then we whine about how others view us as a people. And this is just when life began to dramatically improve compared to the very harsh lives that even the black middle class had to endure before the mid 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
There's no look of a criminal.... .

I suggest that you go to an elderly black female, especially one from the South, with your pants at your knees, hair uncombed, drawers showing and see how quickly she doesn't reach for her broom and give you a good "whup ass" for acting like a thug.

With all the hard life and abuse that she no doubt went through you think you can tell her that this sloppy attire (devised in jail where belts aren't available) is because of the white man!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So what the way they dress is from jail? .

So go to work dressed with your drawers showing, hair uncombed, pants down to your knees and see how that goes over. You flatter yourself if you think that even blacks will not think poorly of you and see you as a joke at best, or a thug at worst, and not as some one who ought to be taken seriously.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Huxatables got taken off the air because Bill Cosby raped multiple women. Drugged and raped them. The man is a sex offender.

Theo Huxtable still represents an image of black males that most black parents will accept.

I would love to see the face of a black father when his daughter brings home a thug with dirty drawers showing, with the crack of his buttocks visible and maybe even the bulge of his genitals, and pants at his knees, with hair that hasn't seen a comb in weeks.

Tell young black boys that this is a mode of behavior that will allow them to achieve their goals.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
In addition I would say lack of marketable job skills, poverty(connected to poor nutrition and poor reading skills), add high rates of a history of emotional, physical and sexual abuse, low self esteem, absentee fathers and dysfunctional family dynamics this all play a role. In the case of black Americans add racism on top of that.

Where is the problem of drug abuse highest in the NY area? If you guessed Brownsville or the South Bronx you scored WRONG. It is in Staten Island and the suburbs.. Drug overdoses are heavily concentrated among whites.

There are reasons why some become addicts and this must be investigated and not criminalized, but to blame societal woes has been proven way off the mark in 2016.

If one ranks drug abuse by race it is highest among whites, followed by Hispanics (a big gap) with blacks and Asians consuming at almost the same rates. Blacks have seen the damage of drug abuse and so don't need to be educated about this.

And the damage isn't just the direct impacts of addiction but also the fact that mass incarceration has done severe damage to black families, and has destroyed the lives of maybe as many as 25% of black men whose criminal records now bar them from participating in society.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:36 AM

21,523 posts, read 19,348,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Theo Huxtable still represents an image of black males that most black parents will accept.

I would love to see the face of a black father when his daughter brings home a thug with dirty drawers showing, with the crack of his buttocks visible and maybe even the bulge of his genitals, and pants at his knees, with hair that hasn't seen a comb in weeks.

Tell young black boys that this is a mode of behavior that will allow them to achieve their goals.
The Huxtables as such could still serve as role models, regardless of what the actors do in their private lives (which, if allegations are correct, is of course abominable in the case of Bill Cosby).
The Huxtables valued education and tried to be sophisticated, yet not to sell out and pretend they were whites. They had their generational clashes just like whites and Asians have them.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,251,215 times
Quote:
Where is the problem of drug abuse highest in the NY area? If you guessed Brownsville or the South Bronx you scored WRONG. It is in Staten Island and the suburbs.. Drug overdoses are heavily concentrated among whites.

There are reasons why some become addicts and this must be investigated and not criminalized, but to blame societal woes has been proven way off the mark in 2016.

If one ranks drug abuse by race it is highest among whites, followed by Hispanics (a big gap) with blacks and Asians consuming at almost the same rates. Blacks have seen the damage of drug abuse and so don't need to be educated about this.

And the damage isn't just the direct impacts of addiction but also the fact that mass incarceration has done severe damage to black families, and has destroyed the lives of maybe as many as 25% of black men whose criminal records now bar them from participating in society.
I'm responding to the bolded parts.

I don't know what you're referring to I firmly believe in people taking 100% responsibility for their choices and being black doesn't take you off the hook.

I'm not going to bother with a detailed response you're not open to opinions that differ from yours and incorporating any new information. Like you said you don't need to be educated. Funny statement I continuously adapt my opinions by incorporating new facts.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I firmly believe in people taking 100% responsibility for their choices and being black doesn't take you off the hook.

My point was about personal responsibility and the fact that being black doesn't provide an excuse, nor do most blacks suggest that it should.

You went on a long diatribe about whatever, but now finally agree with my core point. Good!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

6,898 posts, read 4,251,215 times
Quote:
My point was about personal responsibility and the fact that being black doesn't provide an excuse, nor do most blacks suggest that it should.

You went on a long diatribe about whatever, but now finally agree with my core point. Good!
I see it that way as well.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Quote:
So go to work dressed with your drawers showing, hair uncombed, pants down to your knees and see how that goes over. You flatter yourself if you think that even blacks will not think poorly of you and see you as a joke at best, or a thug at worst, and not as some one who ought to be taken seriously.
I really could careless what people think of me, and that includes Blacks. I'm as narcissistic as Trump, who in many ways I admire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or