U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 AM

24,307 posts, read 17,746,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Theo Huxtable still represents an image of black males that most black parents will accept.

I would love to see the face of a black father when his daughter brings home a thug with dirty drawers showing, with the crack of his buttocks visible and maybe even the bulge of his genitals, and pants at his knees, with hair that hasn't seen a comb in weeks.

Tell young black boys that this is a mode of behavior that will allow them to achieve their goals.
Who know what the father himself has done? Maybe he is happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM

24,307 posts, read 17,746,792 times
Quote:
Where is the problem of drug abuse highest in the NY area? If you guessed Brownsville or the South Bronx you scored WRONG. It is in Staten Island and the suburbs.. Drug overdoses are heavily concentrated among whites.

There are reasons why some become addicts and this must be investigated and not criminalized, but to blame societal woes has been proven way off the mark in 2016.

If one ranks drug abuse by race it is highest among whites, followed by Hispanics (a big gap) with blacks and Asians consuming at almost the same rates. Blacks have seen the damage of drug abuse and so don't need to be educated about this.

And the damage isn't just the direct impacts of addiction but also the fact that mass incarceration has done severe damage to black families, and has destroyed the lives of maybe as many as 25% of black men whose criminal records now bar them from participating in society.
Blacks were targeted by campaigns to clean up the streets. The majority of drug users aren't Black, but the disproportionately the people locked up for it are. Also high rates of being on welfare programs, along with historical lack of access to quality education,housing, or mortgages has impaired a big chunk of the Black population. There is some truth to the stereotypes.

Obesity and it's related illnesses, including strokes are higher too among Black people in the United States.

In fact many of the tools that Black people once used to advance maybe cut back or eliminated. Many government jobs will be gone. There are bills proposed to end the department of education so goodbye pell grants. People will have to pay cash, use student loans, or use their military benefits to pay for college. At least st the graduate level, one already had to go a credit check to even get student loans. Trump has said this will extend yo undergraduates.

The way the US works is if you have money anything is possible. Trump grabs women by the oussy a d he is the President. Telling young Black people that they should act saintly and dress a certain way will not help them move up socioeconomically. The white men who startup major companies in the tech sector and in media are poorly dressed and often do drugs. It's the antithesis of what you're saying.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,697,220 times
C'mon these are supposed to be "divine children of the sun"?

Esther's Halloween mask

LOL, absurd afrocentrics.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:37 PM

7,457 posts, read 5,973,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Telling young Black people that they should act saintly and dress a certain way will not help them move up socioeconomically. The .
If people assume that we are losers and criminals why provide them ammunition so that they can prove that we are? A company uses implicit bias which implies to them that most blacks aren't suitable and don't fit into their organizations (where walking around with underwear showing isn't tolerated). So we don't get hired, and now you suggest that we display to them that indeed blacks cannot fit into their environments.

Are you suggesting that a black person goes to an interview with underwear and crotch showing and rant when of course they aren't hired. The mere fact that the public sector is shrinking is why blacks CAN NO LONGER rely on those jobs for upward mobility and I have frequently told you this.

Walking around dressed like a bum has never been traditional black culture. I suggest that you find your grandmother, if she is still alive, and arrive displaying to her your brand of underwear. See if she pats you on your head and endorse you attire which makes you look like an inmate (where the style originated) or homeless.

I know for a fact that my mother always told us that if we leave the house looking like a bum we will be treated like one. As a mature adult I have seen how right she was.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 PM

16,111 posts, read 6,360,120 times
Quote:
If people assume that we are losers and criminals why provide them ammunition so that they can prove that we are? A company uses implicit bias which implies to them that most blacks aren't suitable and don't fit into their organizations (where walking around with underwear showing isn't tolerated). So we don't get hired, and now you suggest that we display to them that indeed blacks cannot fit into their environments.

Are you suggesting that a black person goes to an interview with underwear and crotch showing and rant when of course they aren't hired. The mere fact that the public sector is shrinking is why blacks CAN NO LONGER rely on those jobs for upward mobility and I have frequently told you this.

Walking around dressed like a bum has never been traditional black culture. I suggest that you find your grandmother, if she is still alive, and arrive displaying to her your brand of underwear. See if she pats you on your head and endorse you attire which makes you look like an inmate (where the style originated) or homeless.

I know for a fact that my mother always told us that if we leave the house looking like a bum we will be treated like one. As a mature adult I have seen how right she was.
I repped your post. There is a phenomena called the "soft bigotry of low expectations."

Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 AM

691 posts, read 924,240 times
....and besides the hanging pants, don't get me started on the tattoos...

Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM

4,441 posts, read 4,442,093 times
Quote:
Tell you what. When white kids who glorify violence get shot down by cops the way that black kids do then we can chat.

The way blacks dress is literally life and death. In fact even dressed in suits they can still be murdered by cops, so imagine if they dress like society's notion of a thug!

To red they do... which is part of my point pop culture in general has way more sexually and violent point out hip hop culture is basically pointless when pop culture does it at large to an even extreme extent, whites aren't going stereotypes themselves that makes no sense. It's easier stereotype another group.

there literally a film genre called horror that base of that's full of gore and people fearing for their lives.

Saw for example is a thousand times more violent than any NWA song can possibly be,

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fc4a9ff0cf.jpg

Quote:
I can only imagine why you think that some one walking around, hair uncombed, pants down to the knees and nasty underwear showing, sometimes even their butt cheeks, or upper pelvic hairs. But that is OK with you! In the 90s black kids were fashionable and ethnically "black" in their attire. In fact blacks have always led US fashion.

Now some just dress like criminals. Yes the low hanger style is from JAIL! Are you happy that style is now defined by the fact that in jail no belts are allowed, so pants hang low?

to the Magenta What, who, when. where, what, what huh?

Who the heck..... is walking around with there hair uncombed? I not know there a prejudice against blacks having their natural and fro, Which actually can be another topic into racism itself and some think their hair is not combed but who the heck walking around with their uncombed,

then showing cheeks, or upper pelvic what? what the heck are you talking about?

I don't even know how to response this because it's so false, not now or ever has been popular to do or even an issue.

As far sagging pants beside is not even popular anymore and fell out popularity in mid 2000's. That's not even the route. In the 90's general baggy clothes were popular. Some people sag there pants to make the appearance of bagginess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspA-FF7wAo

Quote:
And in fact the very type of white kids who risk being shot by the cops, based on appearance, will be white punk rockers.

And yes society does have a notion of how a thug looks and dresses. Certainly NOT like Theo Huxtable.
Statically this is not accurate

My point is what ever is popular by the black youth will be deem as negative if young blacks kids dress like " Theo Huxtable" than it would be

al capone "thugs" didn't dress into urban hip hop fashion they dressed in suits.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ne_in_1930.jpg

So how did it end up being seem as urban hip hop fashion this just something that popularize really in the 80's.

The flappers of the 20's was seen as rebellious to Victorian dressing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9ef242e8d8.jpg

Towards 50 and 60's into continued with rock n roll.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-83ONZsRywo...a719cb_560.jpg

70's punk

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...13dd8ae34d.jpg

80's metal

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f8c0550f4b.jpg

90's grunge

http://nowmusicradio.com/wp-content/...en-300x161.jpg

There a understanding by older generation of whites those are not the look of criminals those are "our kids" they may think they look ridiculous but there's an understanding that's youth culture.

But there's a full dis connect between older white generation and the black youth. So you have older generation of whites being more judgmental to the black youth fashions and etc to ridiculous levels.

The exact same, the exact same stereotypes that exist now on the black youth existed, during the 20's, 50, 70, to now. This is before Hip hop, this generation of the black youth didn't created these sterotypes. They have been applied to all black generations during their youth.

The same stereotypes applied to Black teen that wore baggy clothes in the 90's were the same sterotypes applied to blacks when they bell bottoms in the 70's.

http://img.wennermedia.com/article-l...1398284683.jpg

current and 80's hip hop fashions

https://68.media.tumblr.com/47634307...t9pwo1_400.jpg

The youth culture in general whether white, blacks rock, hip hop, pop or what ever is always rebellious and each generation takes it to the next level.

But as I mention older generation of whites are disconnected to the black youth.... those white punk, mental, grunge kids come home to a room in there house, they no better than ignorantly stereotype them.

So if they see the neighbors white kid dress punk rock they can related to them own kids.

But those black kids into urban music aren't going to home these white parent houses. It's not familiar or relatable to them. And from that they can actually can start believing stereotypes.

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-01-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
My point was about personal responsibility and the fact that being black doesn't provide an excuse, nor do most blacks suggest that it should.

You went on a long diatribe about whatever, but now finally agree with my core point. Good!
Not at all

Your just prolonging ridiculously stereotypes and hypocrites in society.

A real issue over personal responsibility for example is parents supporting kids to stay in school.

I been to a school that ban a lot of urban fashion but allowed all the crazy punk rock stuff.

But you if think about........... are a lot of blacks parents even involved schools PTA's nope....... because a lot of black parents are not involved in general relating to their kids with school.

A lot of black parents didn't graduate themselves and I think many are too ashamed to get involved. When more blacks parents need regardless.

There is also an issue that more blacks need to create more local business in their community.

but as far as what your saying "it's they way dress" umm no, that's not an issue

Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM

15,593 posts, read 17,854,206 times
You really think white people look at this and think, "Oh that is just daddy's little girl going through a rebellious stage." ???

Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You really think white people look at this and think, "Oh that is just daddy's little girl going through a rebellious stage." ???
Ummm that false equivalency and very inaccurate description of what the average young person who into rock music may dress like. Skaters and etc.

Just idea in itself that you post that picture...... So I guess your saying that picture is the rock equivalent to how black kids are dressing urban regularly?.................

Or black kids are dressing more into a sub culture then white kids

" "Oh that is just daddy's little girl going through a rebellious stage." to below.... yes yes yes, you post a mis- representation of the extreame to present whites as if they are not into a sub culture fashion. As a false equivalency to justify discrimination and prejudgment of the way black kids are dressing.

This is more normal of what you may see in schools, I sure as hell saw it.

And some one into Hip hop may dress like this

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-01-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or