U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

450 posts, read 157,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is very true that there is weaker "black" ethnic identification in the Spanish/Portuguese nations than among the English and French nations in the Americas. It is also true that their socio economic condition lags behind most of the population and that they suffer much institutional racism and implicit bias.

In places like Brazil where black empowerment movements exist it becomes interesting how similar the language of racism begins to sound like that of the USA. There is an increasing understanding that racism does exist and that this has to be fixed.
All that came to Brazil with the arrival of "ethic studies".
all that racial thinking was imported from the US. and its causing great damage to Brazilian society.
basically BOLSONARO was elected due to the increasing segregation of Brazilian society among racial lines.

This "people are more aware" really means people are more suspicious of its fellow citizens.
this is the fisrt time in hundreds of years that Brazil find it self so racially divided.
and this is not going to translate in anything good for black people in Brazil.

The funny thing is that it was not black Brazilians that started all this, was white Brazilians from the workers party, with their imported "racial wokeness" .

Some countries in latam do not allow racial data to be collected in the census, to avoid this kind of situations, and no public policy is ever made with race into consideration.

Last edited by upthere22; Yesterday at 01:09 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 672,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
people dont call themselves black because they are not. there is no conspiracy only truth. why would they call themselves something they are not?

thats black american paranoia speaking.

The funny thing is that African american are convinced that latin Americans are ashamed of their black heritage but the fact is that latin american preserve MORE AFRICAN CULTURE than African Americans by a lot.

and thats particularly true with Dominicans, Puerto ricans, Colombians and Brazilians.

African religions are practiced, African cuisine, art, music. not all that southern fried stuff they call African in the US or that heavy deluded music they call african music in the US.

You only have to walk around NYC to see that basically the only stores dedicated to sell African religious ornaments and potions are ether owned by Africans themselves or by Dominicans/Puerto Africans , they call them "botanica" and they are everywhere.

Have you seen an African American inside one of these? never!!. AA are protestants and will never blend their religion with any of that.

Doing a drum circle on Saturday afternoon on central/prospect park does not count as "African culture", thats something Hippys do when they want to pretend they have knowledge of world cultures. very low bar right there.
Due to geography , history, & formation of countries haved played a role in that presentation. Latin America received more African slaves historically & in the U.S their was more African blending of various cultures ( not in a context of more or less than latin america) in which spurred a unique cultural representation. We still have practictioners of Hoodoo, Artworks still reflect African styles, Spiritual or Gossip along with Blues & Soul music have the similar african themes. More African cultures then just NYC Blacks. Come down South brother.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 672,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The US census states African American/black. Partially because not all black descendants of American slavery self identify as AA, but also because 10% of this population aren't descendants of US slavery.
That's why i stated those numbers to reflect the diversity of the Afro diaspora within the State. Yet it still predominantly Aframs. I come to understand other countries view on ethnicities and how the american point of view can't be applied to tthe rest of the globe.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

88 posts, read 8,086 times
Quote:
Mulatto is an obsolete term in English and becoming obsolete in Spanish too, but the point i am trying to make is that latin america has a larger number of afro-descendants than the US and the number of people that identify as black is about the same.

ADOS warrior seems to do not understand that 20% admixture is a very relevant amount. making the average African american a defacto mixed-race person.
blackness in the US is a cultural thing and not necessarily genetic. As the "one drop rule" seems to be the determinant factor in determining ones identity and not genetics. And thats ok, nothing wrong with that. A person is free to identify with whatever culture they believe is the determinant one in the formation of their identities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A person who is 20% white has about the genetic equivalent of a white grandparent. That´s mixed, and it even affects one´s healthcare. An African American woman died of a genetically caused cancer common among Jews because she had that further back in her family tree (via slavery, such as my family).

Of course an average means some people will have less than 20% European and some will have more. Vanessa Williams is 45% European and there are a lot of AAs who look like her.

Re: In places like Mexico the average Mexican is not predominately of African ancestry, but many do have small amounts of African DNA. In fact perhaps the majority do. They maybe mostly of white and Native descent, but there´s some African there.

Don Cheadle is 19/20% "White" would you consider him "mixed."

What on EARTH are you two even talking about? You two I lucky I can't find that recent genetic study on Aframs.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Quote:
BS. there are 3-4 millions of black Peruvians.
in Venezuela there are at least 1 million of people that are pure black and the number of afro-descendants is north of 5 million. Most Venezuelans claim some African blood, and Afro-Venezuelan culture is acknowledged as an vital component of national identity.
Same thing in Honduras.
afro nicaraguans are between 600k and 1 milion.
Afro Ecuadorians are 1.2 million people.
ect

Funny how you left more than 12 million of people out when you made your generalization.
I actually read genetic studies on South America. Have you? South America as a whole outside of Brazil have little African admixture. Also the Honduras Black population is tiny and recent same for Afro-Nicaraguans.

More importantly show us genetic studies for those countries you mentioned that supposedly have so much African genetic influence. Ecuador's and Nicaragua's African genetic influence especially is small.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The Organization of American States puts the number of afrodesendants in the Americas at 200 million.
if there are 40 millions in the US and six millions in the English Caribbean.

Where are the other 152 million?

As i said before, afro-descedants in Latin america are 3 times more than in the US.

You dont have to consider yourself black to participate and acknowledge that African culture is part of your culture, thats a myopic, binary mentality from certain people in the US.

That "all or nothing" mindset, is grounded in the one drop rule. The you are with us or against us, mentality.

https://www.oas.org/dil/afrodescendants.htm

This is reaching. Your link says the "Americas" and doesn't even mention/specify Latin America.

Either way "Afro-descendant" can mean anything from 10% African DNA to 95% African DNA. A Colombian with only 15% African DNA is not going to identify with Pan-Africanism.

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

141 posts, read 27,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Due to geography , history, & formation of countries haved played a role in that presentation. Latin America received more African slaves historically & in the U.S their was more African blending of various cultures ( not in a context of more or less than latin america) in which spurred a unique cultural representation. We still have practictioners of Hoodoo, Artworks still reflect African styles, Spiritual or Gossip along with Blues & Soul music have the similar african themes. More African cultures then just NYC Blacks. Come down South brother.
I have always noticed that duality, the general lack of African heritage of African-Americans in contrast to their very vocal pride. A strange thing. African-Americans are they least African of the the African diaspora. But somehow they patrol the edges of race making sure everybody falls in line with their narrow definitions of race/identity. Why do AAs go around accusing others of denying something they themselves do not have?.

Seeing African-Americans wearing dashiki and celebrating a fake holiday like kuanzaa just seems like desperate attempt to fill that cultural void of having almost no African heritage. But the feel they have the authority to define how other express their heritage, i have never seen other members of the African diaspora do that, this is only a African-American phenomenon. I do understand the frustration people from other parts of the world will feel with that mentality, sometimes is pure bullying. AAs are very race-obsessed people in general.

As I said before, i do understand why AAs act that way, and that makes sense in an American context, but pretend that the same applies to others just because they happen to have some percent of african blood is to ignore that reality -history are different in every country. Sometimes i feel that AAS are just as imperialistic as their white compatriots, imposing their views with little regard of the other people culture.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

141 posts, read 27,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
This is reaching. Your link says the "Americas" and doesn't even mention/specify Latin America.

Either way "Afro-descendant" can mean anything from 10% African DNA to 95% African DNA. A Colombian with only 15% African DNA is not going to identify with Pan-Africanism.
Americas is north and south combined.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
I have always noticed that duality, the general lack of African heritage of African-Americans in contrast to their very vocal pride. A strange thing. African-Americans are the least African of the the African diaspora. But somehow they patrol the edges of race making sure everybody falls in line with their narrow definitions of race/identity. Why do AAs go around accusing others of denying something they themselves do not have?.
Oh look another non-Afram talking about crap he knows nothing about. I love it when you Latinos who treat your Black population like **** complain about "Aframs being the police of Black people." Well, Aframs were the ones who said "Black is beautiful" and have been fighting against Black oppression world wide and gave Marcus Garvey(the person he was inspired by was an Afram) the blueprints for Pan-Africanism.

Seriously a lot of these "Afro-descendants" in Latin America don't even identify as Black or African. More importantly you non-Black Latinos oppress them. So lose the whole "Aframs are policing Black." Its tired now. And what do you mean "least African." I notice a lot of you guys like to say that.

Quote:

Seeing African-Americans wearing dashiki and celebrating a fake holiday like kuanzaa just seems like desperate attempt to fill that cultural void of having almost no African heritage. But the feel they have the authority to define how other express their heritage, i have never seen other members of the African diaspora do that, this is only a African-American phenomenon.
You don't know **** about ADOS people to warrant a comment like this. I especially doubt you ventured around Southern rural USA where ADOS people mostly come from. I bet your ADOS experience mostly comes from cities like NYC. No, the "African heritage" is still present among ADOS people but only in the deep South. Unlike Afro-Latinos our culture was not influenced by coastal West Africans or Central Africans who emphasized in drumming but instead Islamic West Africans from the Sahel. This is proven and we see hints of it in ADOS culture. Heck Blues the grandfather of all ADOS music genres is heavily influenced by Malian Sahel cultural traits. Heck the Banjo too. Stuff like the Afram cowboy culture(which many ADOS still take part in via Texas) has Fulani roots. People think Aframs "have no African heritage" because our culture wasn't influenced by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDK8iqp38o

Instead this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTDuahaXwg

Many of these string instruments were used in early Blues songs. Don't believe me? Go to the Mississippi delta.

Quote:

I do understand the frustration people from other parts of the world will feel with that mentality, sometimes is pure bullying.
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The big bad AAs are bullying everyone!!!!

Quote:

AAs are very race-obsessed people in general.
Race obsessed? How about the many silly and ridiculous skin and phenotype terms you Latinos come up with.

Quote:

As I said before, i do understand why AAs act that way, and that makes sense in an American context, but pretend that the same applies to others just because they happen to have some percent of african blood is to ignore that reality -history are different in every country.
What do you mean "some percent" of African blood? lol.

Quote:

Sometimes i feel that AAS are just as imperialistic as their white compatriots, imposing their views with little regard of the other people culture.
You mean the SAME Aframs who have called out racism and have fought for other immigrant groups against racism? Those Aframs are "imperialistic" for wanting to form Black unity against White supremacy? Man its people like YOU why ADOS are only focusing on ourselves and closing the door on other groups. I HOPE your not a Latino because this is "imperialistic."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rIhmuzxBM

GTFO here...

Edit: It seems your a Dominican. Explains everything...

Last edited by ADOSwarrior; Yesterday at 06:48 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Seriously is saying ridiculous things about African-Americans a common theme on this site?

Quote:
Americas is north and south combined.

Uh... I know that. Tell that to the person who posted that link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or