U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

105 posts, read 8,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Youíre right on African based religions. The only parts of the South were they exist among African Americans in large number us the gulf coast, which has heavy French/Spanish Catholic influence. The other heavy population of African American Catholics is Maryland and no African based religion there either. The majority of AAs outside Louisiana are Baptistís, though other Protestant denominations are represented.

Uh... No Hoodoo is found throughout the deep South. And WTF? The only gulf state with significant Catholic presence is Louisiana. Mississippi where has a strong presence has zero Catholic influence. IIRC Hoodoo spread from the Mississippi delta no Catholic/French influence. And this whole AAs are "bullying Afro-Latinos" is getting corny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

450 posts, read 158,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Uh... No Hoodoo is found throughout the deep South. And WTF? The only gulf state with significant Catholic presence is Louisiana. Mississippi where has a strong presence has zero Catholic influence. IIRC Hoodoo spread from the Mississippi delta no Catholic/French influence. And this whole AAs are "bullying Afro-Latinos" is getting corny.
Dude, no African religious tradition has a strong presence in the US outside on New Orleans.
there might be some but is not wide spread, all those fabrications that you just posted about "muslim influence" in African-american heritage and the exaggerations of the religious practices in the south are another example of the constant fabrication and exaggeration of the African heritage.

As someone else pointed out, there is perpetual need to create a false narrative of "heritage" among African Americans.
I have seen all types of claims, from claiming that AAs were here before the Europeans, that AAs are the true native-Americans, that AAs are a lost tribe of Israel, that AAs are Moors ect ect you name it.

I only see that among African Americans, no one else in the African diaspora goes out of their way to fabricate cultural claims.

Thats why i made my point about all the fake "heritage" running around the African american community.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 9 days ago)

4,929 posts, read 4,506,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
I only see that among African Americans, no one else in the African diaspora goes out of their way to fabricate cultural claims.

Thats why i made my point about all the fake "heritage" running around the African american community.

Very true. It is for the msot part AAs that have these delusional ideas.

It is also mostly AA's that come up witih weird ideas about being the original olmecs and other groups. Sad really. On youtube there is a guy claiming the original Buddhist were Blacks. At first i thought it was a joke but he is dead serious.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

450 posts, read 158,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Very true. It is for the msot part AAs that have these delusional ideas.

It is also mostly AA's that come up witih weird ideas about being the original olmecs and other groups. Sad really. On youtube there is a guy claiming the original Buddhist were Blacks. At first i thought it was a joke but he is dead serious.
it is a very weird situation, AAs accuse Latin Americans of being ashamed of thier African heritage despite all the evidence points to the fact that they are the ones keeping the African heritage alive.

The specific case of the Dominicans is the very funny one. AAs accuse Dominicans of denying their black heritage, but you will be hard pressed to find a country outside Africa with a more wide spread embrace of African heritage then DR, and i mean by all social classes and all over the country.

AAs could only dream to have as much African heritage as the Dominicans or Cubans or Colombians.

And am not talking about fabrications or even diluted heritage, am talking hard core African music, religion and culture in general.

i will just post this example:

Salve music in the DR is mostly played during the holy week (easter).
this is a very famous song about Ogun Balenjo, Yoruba god of iron and fire.

The song goes: I am Ogun Balenyo, and come from the olives (olives orchard) to give my hand to the sick and raise the fallen. ( in reference to jesus christ) Afro-latino religion is sycretized with African gods and critians gods being one and the same.
this music has no European instruments or structure, its all drums and call and response.

notice the Dominican flags and folkloric Dominican dresses with the national colors, and the general nationalistic pride of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqIRXMqMaQ

this is Africa.

Ogun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogun

The question is, are AAs, that are mostly protestant going to embrace this African heritage? i doubted, they consider this to be pagan, thats why they have to fabricate a fake Muslim heritage, to at least make a claim to a monotheistic and abrahamic religion. Its all a very well planned fabrication. Notice how ADS cleverly separate his supposed heritage from the "pagan" "drum culture" and claim to have a "monotheistic Muslim" heritage. very clever indeed.

Non of this is new, the whole Rastafarian movements is based on the same logic, the embrace of a supposed Jewish-Ethiopian prophet from East Africa, and the avoidance at all cost of the truly African culture that made it across the ocean. AAs truly consider that heritage to be pagan, non-christian, savage even. Thats why they will never set foot in a "Botanica" but will go out of their way to change their names to Mohamed.

They desperately need to make a claim, a connection with Africa, but not with THAT AFRICA, not the pagan one, not the polytheistic one, not the "primitive" one.

we can see your farce.

Last edited by upthere22; Yesterday at 09:49 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

24,385 posts, read 17,804,551 times
Any hoodoo outside Louisiana is diluted to the point where the people know nothing about the African gods. Absolutely nothing.

In short, African based religion is not a thing among most Africans, and is essentially non existent.

What do African Americans in the Deep South think about Islam? They think itís a cult. They are about as open minded on cultural differences as white Southerners.

I can at least be honest, if youíre interested among remnants on African cultures and religions you do not go to the Deep South.

Oh, the original Arabs, just like the original Jews were Caucasians. Islam interested Africa via conquest/slavery. It spread across Africa and Asia due to Arab imperialism. Islam is foreign to Africa originally.

So Iím not sure why youíd make up Muslim claims towards the South.

There are many single mothers among African Americans in the South. Iíve known Islamic Africans in favor of the death penalty on single mothers.

Black Southerners in African Muslims have nothing in common.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 674,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In various religious rites Afro Latinos use Yoruba and other African languages. They still workshop the African hods which is not a thing among Southern Blacks. Southern Blacks and AAsvas a whole have preserved very little of African culture, and I say this as someone who has been to the Deep South, Brazil, Colombia, and the Dominican Republic.
I say this as a black man who grewed up & still currently living in the deep south ( hence my username), the African themes still exist & carrys on in things we do. I don't think you realized that I simplified the entire context. Geography, History, & other factors is what created the Afram culture's African traits.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

The fabricated claims towards a Islam weíre out-by groups like the Nation of Islam. People bought into this stuff due to shame if their heritage, since before WW2 most AAs still worked on plantations and did domestic work same as our slave ancestors. Education was essentially non existent up until the 79s. Notice before the Obamas all the self pro claimed AA leadership were ministers. Only know do have people like Harris, Booker, etc in the public domain who have advanced education.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

1,155 posts, read 674,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
WTH? Don Cheadle can fit easily in Senegal, Mali, Northern Nigeria or Burkina Faso people who have Sudanid features such as himself. You bringing up, "well some Afro-Latinos with his phenotype deny being Black" is an irrevelant and fruitless point. Those Black Latinos just have an identity crisis is all. Not sure where you were getting at.

So your family is suppose to be representation of AAs in the south

And the only ppl on your list that truly preserved their "African culture" are Afro-Cubans and Afro-Brazilians. The rest is just due to being from countries that have not had wide scale urbanization. Afram cowboy culture, certain architecture even among many things still have Sahel traits in the South. Even the going into trance in Baptist church has African elements try again.

But... Let me give one example.

[/b][/SIZE]

http://www.allmusic.com/album/africa...a-mw0000868047

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDOnToguWPE

African-American culture is creolized i.e African, European and Indigenous like all cultures of the African diaspora. Like I told you which you're not grasping our African cultural source came from an Islamic West African source and not a Pagan West African one which is why people like you think AA culture has no African influence. AA culture is unique in that regard. If you think I'm exaggerating I can post additional examples.
This brother ( or sister) here shows what interest in one's culture will discover. Daps & love to you.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I say this as a black man who grewed up & still currently living in the deep south ( hence my username), the African themes still exist & carrys on in things we do. I don't think you realized that I simplified the entire context. Geography, History, & other factors is what created the Afram culture's African traits.
And you clear know nothing about places like the Caribbean, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, where people of African descent have much more African heritage in culture.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

145 posts, read 36,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
it is a very weird situation, AAs accuse Latin Americans of being ashamed of thier African heritage despite all the evidence points to the fact that they are the ones keeping the African heritage alive.

The specific case of the Dominicans is the very funny one. AAs accuse Dominicans of denying their black heritage, but you will be hard pressed to find a country outside Africa with a more wide spread embrace of African heritage then DR, and i mean by all social classes and all over the country.

AAs could only dream to have as much African heritage as the Dominicans or Cubans or Colombians.

And am not talking about fabrications or even diluted heritage, am talking hard core African music, religion and culture in general.

i will just post this example:

Salve music in the DR is mostly played during the holy week (easter).
this is a very famous song about Ogun Balenjo, Yoruba god of iron and fire.

The song goes: I am Ogun Balenyo, and come from the olives (olives orchard) to give my hand to the sick and raise the fallen. ( in reference to jesus christ) Afro-latino religion is sycretized with African gods and critians gods being one and the same.
this music has no European instruments or structure, its all drums and call and response.

notice the Dominican flags and folkloric Dominican dresses with the national colors, and the general nationalistic pride of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqIRXMqMaQ

this is Africa.

Ogun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogun

The question is, are AAs, that are mostly protestant going to embrace this African heritage? i doubted, they consider this to be pagan, thats why they have to fabricate a fake Muslim heritage, to at least make a claim to a monotheistic and abrahamic religion. Its all a very well planned fabrication. Notice how ADS cleverly separate his supposed heritage from the "pagan" "drum culture" and claim to have a "monotheistic Muslim" heritage. very clever indeed.

Non of this is new, the whole Rastafarian movements is based on the same logic, the embrace of a supposed Jewish-Ethiopian prophet from East Africa, and the avoidance at all cost of the truly African culture that made it across the ocean. AAs truly consider that heritage to be pagan, non-christian, savage even. Thats why they will never set foot in a "Botanica" but will go out of their way to change their names to Mohamed.

They desperately need to make a claim, a connection with Africa, but not with THAT AFRICA, not the pagan one, not the polytheistic one, not the "primitive" one.

we can see your farce.
This is a great observation !!! kudos!

They will do anything to distance themselves from the real west Africa heritage. All that Muslim non sense is a fabrication of a bunch of preachers to avoid embracing Africa. But at the same time accuse others of denying their heritage. What a hypocrisy!.

Latin Americans have a great deal of verifiable, direct, and alive middle Eastern heritage, that heritage came trough the Spanish, (most of the Spanish that settle the Caribbean came from Andalusian) you can even heard it in their accent today. Dominicans and Cubans have an strong Andalusian accent (canarian accent is the most predominant) and a have hundreds of Arabic loan words. Also latin american countries are full of Lebanese, and Syrians, they made big portions of the population and have influenced their culture greatly. BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE ANY LATIN AMERICAN CLAIMING TO BE A MOOR. Jajaja

This is the fascinating part, the people that have strong African heritage and strong middle Easter heritage, do not go around telling everybody that. only African Americans do that.

African Americans are like the vegans of the African diaspora.

Last edited by Snapshoot; Yesterday at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or