U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:05 AM
 
136 posts, read 16,018 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Bunch of nonsense. the people spreading this lies edit those wikipedia pages to spread their lies thinking no one is paying attention.
Why because you say so? Even when it is cited???? Once again YOU ARE NOT AFRICAN-AMERICAN. STOP SPEAKING ON OUR CULTURE AND HISTORY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,824 posts, read 6,599,282 times
Reputation: 12358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Never heard about Benin/Togo. AAs seems to have more ancestry from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea which gets lumped in with Ghanian ancestry on Ancestry.com. Cameroon and Nigeria like you pointed out also has a Muslim population and as I've shown slave traders were taking slaves from Northern Nigeria like the Hausa. More importantly it depends on which state because Afram ancestry varies. Virginia AAs are mostly Igbo while SC and GA are mostly Senegambia.

But like I said I wasn't trying to show that AAs are mostly Mali and Sengalese but that our culture was largely influenced by cultures from the Sahel due to drumming being banned and so we relied on string instruments from the Sahel. Of course Nycwriterdude and his buddy ignored this post. All those instruments which helped development of the Blues came from the West African Sahel. AAs have a low percentage of Senegambian ancestry compared to say... Puerto Rico but in terms of raw numbers(due to being a bigger population) we have more Senegambia ancestry if that makes sense.

And yes I heard the 30% estimate many times. Whether the case maybe the Sahelian influence on Afram culture out-lived the Congo/Coastal West African influence.
Proof?

We can look at slave trading routes, but that's not necessarily the most helpful to determining ancestry of African Americans today given that many slaves were kidnapped from their homelands by other Africans or were prisoners of war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,824 posts, read 6,599,282 times
Reputation: 12358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Bunch of nonsense. the people spreading this lies edit those wikipedia pages to spread their lies thinking no one is paying attention.
Take it up with the citation. If the citation is found to be lacking, then you have a legitimate claim. Otherwise, I do not merely point to a wikipedia write-up to support my claim, but rather to the citation that is used to support the write-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
1,216 posts, read 697,321 times
Reputation: 747
There's actually significant ancestry trace back to the Benin/Togo region. Actually drumming wasn't banned completely in different regions if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 12:29 PM
 
24,454 posts, read 17,885,187 times
Reputation: 9255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
To be clear I wasn't even arguing that Aframs are majority genetically from Senegambia. My point was that Afram culture is largely influenced by West African Sahelians who came from Muslim areas hence string instrument found in early Afram Blues which has roots in the West African sahel i.e the Banjo.

But of course people like Grabandgo and NYCwriterdude believes anything that does not fit their narrow box of Aframs is "fabrications."
Ive never called anything a fabrication. I never said there were no Muslims among slaves taken from Africa in the US or in other nations in the Americas.

I did say, and I stand by this with the sources Ive posted the majority of slaves brought to the United States were not Muslim.

Even your description above you FALSELY claim AA culture is based on Muslims from the Sahel. That is just not true.

One can be stoned to death for adultery in the Sahel. Single mothers are completely not allowed.

I dont think there is any one source that makes the claim that the majority of African slaves who arrived to the US were Muslim. Links posted here have ranged from 10 percent to 30 percent. Even if its 30 percent, its not the majority though certainly a statistically significant number. Even 10 percent is a statistically significant number.

Do you even acknowledge that people from the coastal areas of Africa were taken to the United States in large numbers and obviously most AAs have this ancestry? Not that if 15 percent of African slaves were Muslim, the majority of AAs could theoretically have a Muslim ancestor, even with most African slaves brought here not being Muslim. Most AAs have a variety of ancestries on the African side alone, and often European and other non Black elements.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-29-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM
 
7,522 posts, read 6,017,586 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Don Cheadle is 19/20% "White" would you consider him "mixed."


What on EARTH are you two even talking about? You two I lucky I can't find that recent genetic study on Aframs.


People aren't defined by what some DNA test shows. They are defined by how they look and Cheadle will be "Black" in every country of the Americas. Even Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 04:21 PM
 
7,522 posts, read 6,017,586 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
I have always noticed that duality, the general lack of African heritage of African-Americans in contrast to their very vocal pride. .


And this is precisely why blacks in the rest of the Americas owe them something and that is the willingness to OPENLY discuss racism and its impacts. Yes in the early 60s you couldn't be even a bank teller in the English Caribbean if you weren't very light skinned. Along comes the black power movement and then we began to ask why? Before we just accepted this as fact that certain jobs weren't for blacks.


And now this has entered Brazil and to the chagrin of those who benefitted from a status quo which allowed blacks to be kept at the bottom, this while they gladly participated in Afro Brazilian culture.


So now that Afro Brazilians are now asking why? These others now call them "racists" and ponder why they weren't content to remain as maids. And yes I have been to Brazil and I saw what it was like before the black empowerment movements began to become vocal. TERRIBLE if one was black! The laws didn't enforce Jim Crow but social custom certainly prevented blacks from entering elite "white" spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 04:40 PM
 
7,522 posts, read 6,017,586 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
it is a very weird situation, AAs accuse Latin Americans of being ashamed of thier African heritage despite all the evidence points to the fact that they are the ones keeping the African heritage alive.

The specific case of the Dominicans is the very funny one. AAs accuse Dominicans of denying their black heritage, .


Oh yes. Another society that only began to deal with its habitual skin colorism and obsession with "good hair" when overseas based Dominicans who learned to become "black" in the USA and then returned back to the DR to see the nonsense.


One can tell who a nation values by who it choses to represent it. Now how many Dominican women with African features were selected to be Miss DR at the Miss Universe competition before 2000? Why did a Miss DR have to make such a production about her "natural" hairstyle not that long ago. Talking about her battle against those who were embarrassed because she refused to straighten her hair.


And why did Dominicans allow Balaguer to condemn Haiti because of its "Africanness" and promote the DR as a "Catholic Hispanic" culture. This in the 1980s.


So please don't tell us that Dominicans have traditionally embraced their "black heritage" because they only began to discuss it when the whole Haiti episode started to become an embarrassment for them. Yes that term "Indio" which has nothing to do with anything African! And just recall the comments made of Pena Gomez by Balaguer. Why in a nation "proud of its African heritage" would that have been allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 PM
 
7,522 posts, read 6,017,586 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Also the reason these Latino countries "held on" to their "African cultures" so long is because .


the biggest growth in slavery in the USA began AFTER slavery ended. In Latin America/Caribbean populations of enslaved peoples grew by the importation of people direct from Africa. In fact MORE enslaved people were transported AFTER the slave trade was abolished in 1807 than before. So there were populations of African born (or people with African born parents) well into the late 19th C in Cuba and Brazil.


In the USA the population of enslaved peoples grew by encouraging a natural increase through birth. In the USA slave owners wanted slaves to produce and to keep those babies alive. In Latin America/Caribbean the strategy was to work them to death, anticipate that they would live 7 years or less and then replace them with another import direct from Africa.


THAT is why there is more OBVIOUS African influences in Cuba and Brazil than in the USA.




Of course folks must know that Africans do other things aside from sing dance and pray so if that is all that is "African" it represents a narrow concept of what being African is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM
 
7,522 posts, read 6,017,586 times
Reputation: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Look at this little island mongrel with no arguments after being slapped around. Your little lies and projections are not going to work, Trujillo. I already proved that African-American culture has been influenced by West Africans in the Sahel and comes from a different source from other cultures of the diaspora due to the banning of drums. The only people who don't "buy my nonsense" are you Latinos(mainly Dominicans) with an agenda to attack Aframs(and Haitians) at every turn. But I'm sorry but facts are on my side which is why no one has been able to refute my sources. No one is claiming Muslim heritage you corny baseball playing vermin but that the African culture that influenced African-American culture came from the Sahel West Africa which was populated by mostly Muslim practitioners. Of course your peanut sized brain doesn't grasp that.

Don't dare talk about denying "African heritage" Trujillo. Your people are the kings and queens of that.

‘Indio’ skin color reveals Dominicans’ latent racism: poll

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...t-racism-poll/

^^The Tainos who were wiped out and hardly any Dominican descends from outside a few.

Don't even get me started on the anti-Haitionism...

Antihaitianismo: Systemic Xenophobia and Racism in the Dominican Republic
Antihaitianismo: Systemic Xenophobia and Racism in the Dominican Republic – COHA

buh... buh...!!! "We just tired of the migrations!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tppKmogV8y8


Or how natural hair is basically ILLEGAL in DR.

Natural Hair Is Still Under Attack in the Dominican Republic

https://hiplatina.com/natural-hair-u...ican-republic/


Or... What about a DARK SKINNED Dominican complaining about being too "dark" to be a Dominican.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqn0PnkPSr0

Or the fact you guys acknowledge your Spanish ancestry over your African one when you f*ckers are around 52-45% African.

You f*ckers are the real "vegans" of the African Diaspora. I dare you to show us ONE Pan-Africanist that Te DR has produced. Just ONE.... Just UNO.... That have tried to connect to Africa on a large scale. Meanwhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4wb-3Bho0

How many of you Dominicans have done back to Africa compared to AAs since us AAs are so ashamed of being African you jackass. Hell.... I'll make it EASIER where are your Dominican Youtubers like Dynast/Searchuhuru who constantly goes back and forth to Africa and suggests AAs do the same. FOH. Its so easy ripping your people's worthless statements apart.

Now get my people's names out yallm mouths and focus on that culturally backwards cesspool you call the DR.

I find this embrace of "African" culture by a Dominican funny, given that much of its represents.......ssshhh Haitian influence! Just mention that and watch the hysterical melt down. Pity they were too terrified and self hating to put Balaguer in his place when he peddled anti blackness.


and that thing about natural hair in the DR!


Having said this AAs need to quit this "Back to Africa" stuff. Of the major Afro derived groups in the Americas that of the AAs is the LEAST African. No shame in this because AAs did derive their own unique cultural traits and the African born population disappeared long before slavery ended in the USA, so the direct impacts were harder to sustain. AA culture pervades the rest of the world INCLUDING Africa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top