Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Also to me I think African Americans or other Blacks in the US should be far more concerned about being TRUMPED by the Trump administration by anything than happens in Latin America. Carl Paladino, a republican ally of Trump and others called Michelle Obama a gorilla and a cow, and said he hoped Obama died of mad cow disease for sleeping with a cow.

Let's just say many of the avenues minorities had been using to get ahead may be gone. Financial aid if you're poor? You'd better have excellent credit as Trump wants banks to originate all student loans.

If they don't have the proper paperwork Black immigrants may find themselves deported. Considering the poverty among African Americans (and second and third generation children of Black immigrants) if Trump and the Republicans cut welfare benefits further expect homelessness to grow even more in cities like NYC, with the jails upstate being busier. Magnify this around the country.

Jeff Sessions, who thought the KKK was cool until he found out they smoked weed is attorney general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 03:11 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What people put on an application is different from what people will call you out on the streets, and this is true in anywhere in Latin America.

Have you been in BRAZIL recently? A number of things change dramatically on the ground in the region as a whole, and what was the case in the 80s or even in the 90s is not necessarily the case today. Or what is the case in one part of the country might not be the case in another part of the country.

Why? How has Brazil changed? Being "black" in Brazil is still not something that most wish to be, and the evidence is in their census, which is based on self identification. Wesley Snipes is "black". Even Oprah isn't.

Being "black" in Brazil is still severely stigmatized (except maybe in Salvador where that is what almost every one is). People race to find "escape" roots.

There has NOT been an increase in people referring to themselves as Prieto. Maybe greater acceptance of being in some intermediate category, less of a desire to be white, and a higher ability to speak out on racial issues.

I know people who go to Brazil all the time. I can recognize what they talk about even though I was there last about 20 years ago. The big difference is that one is no longer a traitor guilty of treason for discussing race, though one can still expect a lot of angry reactions, especially now that Brazil seems to be undergoing a "Trump like" moment.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Also to me I think African Americans or other Blacks in the US should be far more concerned about being TRUMPED by the Trump administration by anything than happens in Latin America.

As far as most black Americans are concerned you cannot speak Spanish or Portuguese and still be "black".

Black Americans are no more interested in the world outside of the USA than is your typical American. Good for vacation, but nothing more.

In fact a major tension exists between black Americans and other blacks as the latter think that the former make no attempt to understand that their perspective of race is different. Its only in the USA that people will argue that Alicia Keyes is black. Most definitely few Barbados see Rihanna as a black woman. She is "red", as is Beyoncé.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
This is in fact true. I did my undergrad in the UK and encountered British blacks of Caribbean descent. In the 70s they had been hugely rejected by the UK society, so had developed an oppositional culture. As some one who didn't grow up in a majority white culture I didn't understand their need to do so, and found their identity of being Caribbean people as hilarious, given that to me they were Caribbean inflected black Cockneys.

I now understand the psychic need that blacks who grow up in majority white societies need to develop a pan African identity. But I do know that these same blacks often don't understand blacks who don't grow up in majority white societies, so have a different identity formation than they have.

Yes there IS a loose identity among black people. Yes all things being equal a black person will gravitate to another, even one outside of his group, in a white majority situation. But we still have a ways to go before we begin to understand and accept each other before we can speak of a pan African identity.

And YES a black American will have very valid reasons to more closely identify with a black immigrant than with a white American. At times their very survival might depend on it. So while I don't agree that Pan Africanism, meaning that there is one black global population acting in unison, exists I do believe that a lose black collaboration does.
Exactly..Here is a textbook case: Back in the late 70s when they were having race riots in Boston, a friend
of mine from SL got off of work and decided to short cut thru a white area of town..He heard voices of men and boys behind him yelling "N****R! He kept walking, IT DID NOT REGISTER that they were referring to

him, a Black American was driving by and said "Get in the car, they mean you fool!!" My friend said he turned around and saw a group of white men and boys chasing him with bats and chains..

He hadn't been in this country that long and saw himself in this order: Temne, Sierra Leone, West African and then Black.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
He hadn't been in this country that long and saw himself in this order: Temne, Sierra Leone, West African and then Black.

And this becomes the issue. Black Americans use the reverse order, and cannot understand why blacks from elsewhere don't. So then the tensions start.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Proof that it is worse in Colombia, Brazil, Cuba, etc. than the US rather than anecdotal claims and newspaper articles?

Have you ever been to those places?

Mind you Latin America is a significantly large region and there are huge differences, even on different sections of the country. You cannot speak for all Latinos or all Black Latin Americans on this issue, and progress varies from country to country. You sound like an afrocentrist with extremely shallow or superficial knowledge of Latin America.
1. I would love to but No, 2. I don't have to I get this from Afro Latinos, and even the things I brought up involves Afro Latino speaking. I literally just posted a video of Afro Brazilian woman speaking about racism. 3. Many Latin countries even acknowledge this is an issue.

I know how broad Latin America is with different political systems and cultures, But though those different political systems and cultures there is this pattern was my point.

What I said was modernly racism is worst in latino America than the US, The racial income equality gap doesn't just exist in the US, it exist all though out the Americas. With Latin America having far more poverty than the US. Latin American counties racial income equality is than the US.

The UN
Race and Poverty in Latin America: Addressing the Development Needs of African Descendants

The World Bank
Beyond the soccer fields, racism is the enemy of millions of Latin Americans

Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-zo8lyOAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xnIdtn3FI

This not southside Chicago, An American ghetto has nothing on a brazilian fevela

Choco is the poorest department of Colombia it's all has largest black percentage of Any department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7xSrrgKN0

Old 12-27-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
As far as most black Americans are concerned you cannot speak Spanish or Portuguese and still be "black".

Black Americans are no more interested in the world outside of the USA than is your typical American. Good for vacation, but nothing more.

In fact a major tension exists between black Americans and other blacks as the latter think that the former make no attempt to understand that their perspective of race is different. Its only in the USA that people will argue that Alicia Keyes is black. Most definitely few Barbados see Rihanna as a black woman. She is "red", as is Beyoncé.
They see all 3 of them as women of partial African ancestry is the point. The terminology is irreverent.

In the US black people also call each other red and Yellow and etc, because that's referring to skin color, "BlacK' is not referring to skin color in the US it refer to ancestry. People can call themselves green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Exactly..Here is a textbook case: Back in the late 70s when they were having race riots in Boston, a friend
of mine from SL got off of work and decided to short cut thru a white area of town..He heard voices of men and boys behind him yelling "N****R! He kept walking, IT DID NOT REGISTER that they were referring to

him, a Black American was driving by and said "Get in the car, they mean you fool!!" My friend said he turned around and saw a group of white men and boys chasing him with bats and chains..

Again To be black means your "mande, Yoruba etc etc decent" His Blackness is Temne

As far a racism goes the racism in the Americas was different from the racism in Africa during colonization.,

Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Maybe another thread is good for your right wing conspiracy views Try that Political Commentary thread which is all but taken over by the KKK.
I won't defend the post to which you're responding. But what about the fact that African-Americans are doing far better than their African counterparts?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1. I would love to but No, 2. I don't have to I get this from Afro Latinos, and even the things I brought up involves Afro Latino speaking. I literally just posted a video of Afro Brazilian woman speaking about racism. 3. Many Latin countries even acknowledge this is an issue.

I know how broad Latin America is with different political systems and cultures, But though those different political systems and cultures there is this pattern was my point.

What I said was modernly racism is worst in latino America than the US, The racial income equality gap doesn't just exist in the US, it exist all though out the Americas. With Latin America having far more poverty than the US. Latin American counties racial income equality is than the US.

The UN
Race and Poverty in Latin America: Addressing the Development Needs of African Descendants

The World Bank
Beyond the soccer fields, racism is the enemy of millions of Latin Americans

Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-zo8lyOAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xnIdtn3FI

This not southside Chicago, An American ghetto has nothing on a brazilian fevela

Choco is the poorest department of Colombia it's all has largest black percentage of Any department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7xSrrgKN0

The vast majority of Afro-Brazilians are primarily of Portuguese descent there is no such thing as the one drop rule in Brazil all Brazilians of Colonial descent have African ancestors. Sadly there is a social hierarchy that favors those with more European features. The premise of the reporter from Al Jazeera is that that 51% of Brazilians are black.(Brazilians typically don't see it that way). Another example of one culture imposing their racial views on a different culture. Brazilians will have to work it out for themselves and the American/Anglo model is nothing to be proud of.

Last edited by AFP; 12-28-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The vast majority of Afro-Brazilians are primarily of Portuguese descent there is no such thing as the one drop rule in Brazil all Brazilians of Colonial descent have African ancestors. Sadly there is a social hierarchy that favors those with more European features. The premise of the reporter from Al Jazeera is that that 51% of Brazilians are black.(Brazilians typically don't see it that way). Another example of one culture imposing their racial views on a different culture. Brazilians will have to work it out for themselves and the American/Anglo model is nothing to be proud of.
No 7.6% of Brazil consider themselves Black this population is either full or majority. Another group 44% of Brazil is mixed, this group has various different degree to ancestry some are majority black other majority white. There was a genetic study that found a lot were European majority, but you can't take a few hundred to represents over 80 millions.

But I tell right now you think race in the US is exclusive

I give you an example singer Amerie she mixed Asian and Black. You could call her Asian or Black neither would be wrong. This is why mixed people are still consider black because race is not exclusive.

The Negative of the one drop rule wasn't that one drop makes you black, one of drop of anything logically makes part that. The error was one drop of anything else makes you not white. During the time you could never be consider part white. Historically white America would disclaim even family members. So you wouldn't see mix people embracing being part white.

Modernly if someone mixed is called, white, Black, Asian or what ever it doesn't mean they exclusively that one group. So if calling someone Afro Brazilian black doesn't insist they are just black. it means they have African ancestry mix in them.
----

Also that wasn't premise of the video, The priemse of the video was Brazilians that black or mixed are discriminated against.

Last edited by chiatldal; 12-28-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa