U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 AM

318 posts, read 135,786 times

Advertisements

Hello, where white people from South Africa emmigrate in these days? Some people say it is very hard for white people living there since fall of apartheid and many of them move away. I like to hear someone who live here, im interrested in this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM

274 posts, read 292,759 times
Most popular destinations are normally Australia, New Zealand, Canada or I guess England. Although most people I know prefer Aus/New Zealand as the climate is a lot closer to ours.

And it's not that difficult for white people living here imo. People over exaggerate some of the problems that affect everyone, not just white people.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:57 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,008 times
The move of entrepreneurs has been showing up in Canada for two decades now.
I understand several million have bailed on s. Africa, which as a member of the Commonwealth, movement to other C. countries will be easier. All I've met but one are white. All are business people with money.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 12-19-2015 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: finish sentence

Old 12-24-2015, 01:14 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,710,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
The country was put back into the hands of the indiginous people, but the White folks were still allowed to keep; their wealth and land--even if it was stolen. White people make up 8% of the population of South Africa, but still own most of the wealth and the best land. The same is true for Namibia.
Bantu Africans aren't the indigenous people of Southern Africa. They didn't reach South Africa until the early centuries A.D.. Europeans didn't meet them until they both met at the Great Fish River in the Eastern Cape (as the Bantus were moving SW and the Europeans were moving NE). They're both "immigrants" to that area and the indigenous people were the Koisan.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Bantu Africans aren't the indigenous people of Southern Africa. They didn't reach South Africa until the early centuries A.D.. Europeans didn't meet them until they both met at the Great Fish River in the Eastern Cape (as the Bantus were moving SW and the Europeans were moving NE). They're both "immigrants" to that area and the indigenous people were the Koisan.

Given that South Africa isn't just the Cape, but includes many areas to the east and the north, the Bantus arrived several hundreds of years before the Europeans, and so are indigenous the region.

The Europeans are as alien to Africa as Europeans claim that Africans are alien to Europe. African immigrants to Europe are told to "integrate". This meaning a total eradication of their identities, cultures and style. Funny Europeans in South Africa aren't being held to the same standard. In fact most adjustment remains Africans adjusting to them.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times
That's one heck of an extremist political party and it seems to be growing. Smells to me as Zimbabwe part 2.

Big Rise in Support for Vicious Anti-White Party in South Africa | Economic Freedom Fighters - EFF

Those that might not get why I said Zimbabwe part 2, this should clarify:

It seems that after years of economic chaos and degradations of the quality of life for everyday Zimbabweans, Zimbabwe is now regretting its previous policy and wants to at least partially undo them.

The big question that arises is whether South Africa will go down the same path?

Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 AM

283 posts, read 184,535 times
This must be part of the reason that the South African Rand is losing so much value. It's likely that SA is now Africa's third-largest economy now, having falling behind Nigeria ~2008 and Egypt probably this year or next.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM

274 posts, read 292,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
This must be part of the reason that the South African Rand is losing so much value. It's likely that SA is now Africa's third-largest economy now, having falling behind Nigeria ~2008 and Egypt probably this year or next.
This last drop was thanks to Zuma trying to flex his muscles by changing the finance minister out of nowhere (presumably because he did not play along with the SAA and nuclear deals). This came as a surprise to everyone and naturally that loses investor confidence. I assume people in the ANC told to get his **** together and he had to backtrack and rehire 1 of the previously known finance ministers to try and fix it. Which also loses more confidence. Then they release spin stories to make it seem like it shows strong leadership etc etc. Basically we can only hope the country wakes up soon and votes that clown out

Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 PM

903 posts, read 653,517 times
I've met lots throughout the southeast.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,697 times
I suspect UK is the easiest destination (but probably the least desirable) but mainly for English South Africans....in my understanding they can get a resident visa and eventually a UK passport as long as they can prove that at minimum one grandparent was a UK citizen....and I bet a lot of English South Africans kept their UK passports through the years.

For Afrikaners is more difficult as many live in SA from generations and generations.

However I do not think the desire to leave has reached anywhere close to desperation levels as some may think or imply.......yes there is concern for the future, especially for younger generations but overall the white minority still enjoy a very good quality of life down there....no white South African mail-order brides......yet.......

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-04-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or