U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,713,855 times
Reputation: 1742

Advertisements

It absolutely is...why is this even a question? My mom's family lives in Cape Town and I absolutely love it in the western cape region. I've been to west and east africa also..those countries don't even come close to being on the same level as South Africa.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2016, 01:31 AM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Any suggestions how you'd do this other than for them to just continue what they're doing? I can't see anything they could actively do to prove this?



Not to sure where you're going with this part but the DA spoke to the fact that the ANC were raising racial tensions. They weren't speaking to a race?



Don't completely agree here. There are still a lot of people from the older generation voting out of loyalty BUT I do agree that with the DA's reputation there are also a lot of people who probably don't feel like there is a viable alternative.



Indians are the minority in the Western Cape.

I don't think that you are that nave. If the ANC is accused of raising tensions then clearly the accusation is that they are raising racial tensions AMONG BLACKS. How many whites vote ANC?


So clearly the DA was confining the whole issue of racial tensions to attitudes held by blacks, and implying that these attitudes exist because of the ANC.


No mention of the larger institutional issues which cause these tensions to exist. No mention of the fact that some of these tensions are a result of continued distrust of whites by blacks because of how blacks perceive whites to be treating them.


None of that. All will be well if the ANC just didn't put crazy ideas into black people's heads.


Well that to me looks like middle class blacks, who have figured out how to fit into the system, not wanting to jeopardize their access by having a discussion which might offend their white supporters.


So while many blacks will despise the ANC they continue to distrust the DA, as these elections showed, because a win is a win, and the ANC won in its usual places.


Maybe the DA is happy to be the largest opposition party. If the vast majority of blacks continue to see them as a white dominated Trojan Horse then the ANC wins, even if with diminished majorities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 01:35 AM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
A lot of the African borders are arbitrary anyway, would make sense if some of the people in the north feel more like a part of Chad or Niger than actual Nigeria


I suspect many Igbos and Yorubas would be happy if the Hausa and Fulani took their part of Nigeria and joined their fellows along the border. No more Boko Haram and religious killings for them to worry about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 01:51 AM
 
277 posts, read 295,350 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't think that you are that nave. If the ANC is accused of raising tensions then clearly the accusation is that they are raising racial tensions AMONG BLACKS. How many whites vote ANC?
I might just be missing your point here a bit

The original conversation was:
- I mention the ANC liked to fuel the racial tension fire for election year.
- Your response was that you suggested that I was implying that it was only the fault of black people or the ANC
- I agreed with you saying that there are existing tensions and everyone plays a part in it but that it comes up more so during election period thanks to the ANC

Surely we're on similar pages at this point?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM
 
271 posts, read 289,850 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't think that you are that nave. If the ANC is accused of raising tensions then clearly the accusation is that they are raising racial tensions AMONG BLACKS. How many whites vote ANC?


So clearly the DA was confining the whole issue of racial tensions to attitudes held by blacks, and implying that these attitudes exist because of the ANC.


No mention of the larger institutional issues which cause these tensions to exist. No mention of the fact that some of these tensions are a result of continued distrust of whites by blacks because of how blacks perceive whites to be treating them.


None of that. All will be well if the ANC just didn't put crazy ideas into black people's heads.


Well that to me looks like middle class blacks, who have figured out how to fit into the system, not wanting to jeopardize their access by having a discussion which might offend their white supporters.


So while many blacks will despise the ANC they continue to distrust the DA, as these elections showed, because a win is a win, and the ANC won in its usual places.


Maybe the DA is happy to be the largest opposition party. If the vast majority of blacks continue to see them as a white dominated Trojan Horse then the ANC wins, even if with diminished majorities.
Um, how does a Black person raise "racial tensions" is a system that is already completely dominated by white supremacy? All of South Africa is STILL controlled and dominated by whites who placed Black puppet leaders in the forefront.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,182,557 times
Reputation: 4537
I'm going to SA next winter. I'd like to know which is the least dangerous between Capetown and Jozy ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 AM
 
277 posts, read 295,350 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm going to SA next winter. I'd like to know which is the least dangerous between Capetown and Jozy ?
Cape Town is generally more touristy so generally safer than Joburg. It's more of a large city vibe. A lot more to see and do in Cape Town. Joburg has its charms but I wouldn't recommend more than a a few days there
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:31 AM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
I might just be missing your point here a bit

The original conversation was:
- I mention the ANC liked to fuel the racial tension fire for election year.
- Your response was that you suggested that I was implying that it was only the fault of black people or the ANC
- I agreed with you saying that there are existing tensions and everyone plays a part in it but that it comes up more so during election period thanks to the ANC

Surely we're on similar pages at this point?


Not quite. At this point some one should be asking why do these racial tensions exist, because without these tensions it is likely that the ANC would have lost the recent elections.


What exists is a sore that is septic. ANC is pressing it to make it hurt more, but that septic sore is still there. It is in the interests of DA to fix it, or EFF will. And I don't know how many will like the EFFs solutions, or whether South Africa will benefit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM
 
7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
Um, how does a Black person raise "racial tensions" is a system that is already completely dominated by white supremacy? All of South Africa is STILL controlled and dominated by whites who placed Black puppet leaders in the forefront.


Its a little bit more complicated than that. I wouldn't exactly call Mandela's party a black puppet government. The fact that the Zuma ANC is not the ANC of Mandela is a choice that its black leadership made.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top