U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times

Advertisements

NEW QUESTION:

I'm thinking of staying in a hostel on Long Street...why a hostel? Because its a great way to exchange information with travelers...as I'll be arriving solo.

Part 2...I'm also thinking of renting a car. Is renting a car, staying at a hostel on probably Long Street...a bit problematic with a rental car? Are rental cars targeted? Will parking be a mess? Or is this really a non-issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM

274 posts, read 293,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
NEW QUESTION:

I'm thinking of staying in a hostel on Long Street...why a hostel? Because its a great way to exchange information with travelers...as I'll be arriving solo.

Part 2...I'm also thinking of renting a car. Is renting a car, staying at a hostel on probably Long Street...a bit problematic with a rental car? Are rental cars targeted? Will parking be a mess? Or is this really a non-issue?
Can't really distinguish between a rental and normal car so they wouldn't be targeted any more than usual. Parking will be a mess. Parking in the city is generally a pain. I mean you can pay to park in some buildings but getting parking on the street at certain times can be a nightmare.

Could be more practical to use the MyCiti buses or Uber to get around within the City and then rent a car if you need to go further out?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Can't really distinguish between a rental and normal car so they wouldn't be targeted any more than usual. Parking will be a mess. Parking in the city is generally a pain. I mean you can pay to park in some buildings but getting parking on the street at certain times can be a nightmare.

Could be more practical to use the MyCiti buses or Uber to get around within the City and then rent a car if you need to go further out?
Uber...that might be a good way to go! I have not used that before, but I will look into that option...yeah, I kinda thought a rental car could be an issue....parking-wise.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Uber...that might be a good way to go! I have not used that before, but I will look into that option...yeah, I kinda thought a rental car could be an issue....parking-wise.
And Uber is definitely affordable as an option. I often use it to get to the airport which is a 20km drive and normally costs me between R160 - R170. I've only used it once in the city to go maybe 4km out somewhere and that was around R30 or so.

If you want to do toursity places there are also the red City Sight seeing busses that you can hop on and hop off of to go to different places

Old 01-20-2016, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 817 times
woa .

Old 01-20-2016, 05:08 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
I plan to travel back to Jo'burg by train, has anybody used the SA train company (tourist class, one night) between both? is the railway station located in central Capetown ?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,638,569 times
Check out AirBNB for accomodations. Some great places in Cape Town in wonderful areas. Great accomodations and pricing is about 10% of nice hotels.

Cape town is my favorite city in the whole world. What a beautiful town! The wine country near there is better than Napa or Sonoma. I would love to move to South Africa.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Check out AirBNB for accomodations. Some great places in Cape Town in wonderful areas. Great accomodations and pricing is about 10% of nice hotels.

Cape town is my favorite city in the whole world. What a beautiful town! The wine country near there is better than Napa or Sonoma. I would love to move to South Africa.
Looking forward to seeing this city! Just a few days away from now, for me!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM

I'm in Cape Town now. This is REALLY a city of haves and have-nots.....That is all I will say for now!

There are tourists around, and the coastline is just as beautiful as it looks.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Welcome to Cape Town After all the threads you can finally experience it for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or