U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 12,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm in Cape Town now. This is REALLY a city of haves and have-nots.....That is all I will say for now!

Yes, coastline Cape Town is a completely different world from the Cape Town on the other side of Table Mountain. The social divide is striking throughout the whole country and sometimes hard to adjust to. However, it is such an amazing country with a mixture of wonderful people and landscapes.

We are looking forward to read about your impressions! Enjoy your trip!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 11:15 PM

964 posts, read 704,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Will be there in February....looking forward to seeing your city!

Flying out of Johannesburg....and gonna rent the car and do the 'Garden Route' to get up there.

1) How are the roads? Is is best to get off the roads after dark, due to animals, etc.?

2) Anything going on in February (2016)...events or anything interesting in Cape Town or anywhere in South Africa?

3) Is Durban worth the long excessive driving to get all the over there, and then angle up to J-Burg? Or is the coastline just as wonderful and fantastic along Cape Town and the Garden Route?

4) Are there infamous roads/areas to avoid for 'carjackings'? Is it way less common that the media portrays?

5) I think I read that election time is coming up? Any issues with that? I basically heard that the media is drumming up sides....stirring people up and such...much of an issue for a tourist?
Check out the local music scene. I really dig their music. And Cape Town has a very active musical theater scene that showcases the indigenous dance and music traditions. You'd be surprised, it's kinda hot. The women's traditions in the villages are for short-short skirts, so..... do the math, lol!

Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 AM

276 posts, read 294,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisa View Post
Yes, coastline Cape Town is a completely different world from the Cape Town on the other side of Table Mountain. The social divide is striking throughout the whole country and sometimes hard to adjust to. However, it is such an amazing country with a mixture of wonderful people and landscapes.

We are looking forward to read about your impressions! Enjoy your trip!!
Yeah, also looking forward to hearing his impressions so keep the thread updated

Old 02-01-2016, 02:12 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
Since it's all fresh in my mind...I will just spurt out the immediate impressions...

When I first arrived at the airport, the big newspaper story was of some teen club goer who was violently attacked and had her/his hand cut off by some large knife-wielder? I didn't read it, but it was a cover story, and it seemed to imply that it was a concern as it wasn't the first time to have something like that to happen. I only browsed the story, but I think the 3rd or 4th time in the last few months...or something of that nature?

LONG STREET....was my introduction to Cape Town and that was on a Saturday night. First thing that happened as I was trying to find Long Street, was I got a bit turned-around, and my car mirror bumped another's car mirror. Four large black guys stepped out of that car, motioning to me that I better deal with it. Quick thinking, I just gave him 200 rand (US$12).....said 'sorry', and the guy was VERY happy about that. I didn't even get out of my car, didn't want a problem when just arrived in the country not even an hour!

Found my hostel. Saturday night is NOT the best time to get to Long Street. It brought it a lot of drug abusers, those looking for money, etc. Not a lot of security at the hostel either. I mean, SOME, but there was an open bar attached to the hostel. Long Street changed a lot when I went back again on Monday. But Saturday night, it seems to bring in more desperate characters. Monday evening the entire street looked entirely different. I didn't see any of those other types lingering around. Since I had a hotel with a room over the street, I also noticed that the street was very HEAVILY policed. The police were absolutely everywhere. I also didn't see any crime or violence or fighting or anything either. It kind of surprised me, as most nightlife places, everywhere in the world, you'll see your occasional violence or fighting break out. But, being so well-policed, I didn't see anything like that. But, the streets still had a very edgy feel to it though.

So, Sunday, I moved over to the coastal side of Cape Town, and a very different world - Camps Bay. Since it was Sunday, the beaches were a very multicultural mix of people, but when I went back again on Monday (today), it was very white. Kind of weird stark contrast. I guess Sunday is the day that everyone goes to the beach, and Monday it is mostly tourists and locals who either live or work on that side of Cape Town? The demographics REALLY changed a lot from a Sunday to a Monday. When I went back to Long Street, the demographics also really changed a lot from Saturday night to Monday night. Well, it was like 40% white or something like that, whereas on Saturday night, it seemed more like 10% white, or something like that. I mean, Cape Town is predominately black (or colored - S.African terms). But these pockets seem to change with racial demographics from time to time.

Yesterday, I drove down the coast...(Sunday)...went all the way down to the Cape of Good Hope. I guess one of the many observations. I went through places like Hout Bay, and later up to Kalk Bay, and Mulzenberg. I think it was Hout Bay, just a lot of guys hanging around at the street lights. Mostly trying to sell things. That was okay, not too different from the U.S. But usually in the U.S., it seems like just one guy gets control of that spot, where it seemed like 3-4 sometimes would work the same stoplight.

Speaking of which, you certainly see A LOT of generally wealthy white and poor black. But, then you get a hotel and find out the owners are (colored - using South African terms), and you drive around and see really poor whites too. So, its all really a lot more blurred SOMETIMES.

Speaking of which, I was listening to the radio today, and tons of Afrikaaner stuff, which I knew was here, but I didn't realize to such a degree. But tons of stuff in English too. One of the shows I was listening to, and you can really hear the racial issues going on. Disparity of wealth issues. Lots of poor blacks, but you get these poor whites too, so its weird. One of these shows, was very rationale, and then suddenly you get a really irrational one. A presumably white woman called and immediately said 'did you know a lot of non-whites have had slaves?' which is a weird introduction and nothing to do with equality in South Africa. Then she emotionally told how her grandmother was murdered by a gardener she employed. Whoa...the hurdles of South Africa are immense.

Anyway, as I drove back from Mulzenburg and into Cape Town, I went through Cape Flats, I guess? Saw a sign that said "HIGH RISK AREA - FREQUENT SMASH AND GRAB HOTSPOT". Seeing a lot of men lingering around (quite common everywhere actually)...oh oh. I couldn't tell if I was going to keep getting into things worse and worse, or what. Anyways, I'm avoiding those roads from now on!

Today (Monday) I got up into the Wine Country...Paarl, etc. It's a weird town, as when I first got into the city, it seemed like some school was getting out, and you'd see students that had a dress code. Shorts and dress shirts and such. Looked like something you'd see from the 1950s...weird. When I got into downtown Paarl, in the highest density area, just people walking around EVERYWHERE into the streets. Jaywalkers absolutely everywhere, NO ONE obeys the 'Dont Walk' signs. They just cross the street absolutely everywhere at anytime. While I felt safe, it also is weird, as people are walking around your car a lot. Or they just jump out in front of your car. It's particularly strange as you are sitting at the stoplight that turns green, and you still have these pedestrians that JUST start their walk as their 'dont walk' sign turned red. They really have a completely disregard to 'dont walk' signs.

Went over to Franzenhoek (sp?)..which was a nice little French tourist area. Went over to Stellenbosch (nice university town!!). Getting out in the Wine Country, really makes everything look different. Again, outside of the university, its strange because so many poor blacks, but then you'll see these poor whites here and there too....it's just interesting. Particularly on major expressways, you always see plenty of people walking them. Mostly black or (colored - South african term)...but then you'll suddenly see some white guy too. I don't know why that surprises me. Or something that seems like a tough poor area where you wouldn't think any white guy would go, but then there one is. Just stuff like that.

Anyways, its quite strange to feel like you are 'in the middle of nowhere'...and see people walking on the highway edge. It looks like they'll have to walk a good 10km to get to wherever they are going, if they are in the spot they are at sometimes. Just weird stuff like that. I also saw a lot of people trying to cross these major expressways, and really wonder where they came from and where they are going, as nothing is out there.

As to the city. Absolutely beautiful. A lot of great things going on here. I realize I am only SCRATCHING the SURFACE....and I regret I can't get more deeper into things.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-01-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 PM

So sounds like you've had a pretty interesting first couple of days haha. My advice is don't go out to Long street too often in the evenings. It's only recently started to have a lot of drug activity which is why they've started having a bigger police presence. Bree Street is like 2 streets over has become the better option

Was actually at Camp's Bay on Sunday afternoon as well for a few drinks and to watch the sunset
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBNC8l2C4Mz

Radio wise it's going to depend which 1 you listen to I guess. 5fm will be English. There's a lot of Afrikaans since there is a large coloured population here and they mostly speak Afrikaans.

J-walking wise haha - This has never been enforced. Cape Town is particularly bad though. In Jhb people at least will try give way to the cars. Here they just walk and if you hit them you're screwed. A lot of laws seem to be suggestions

Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM

898 posts, read 445,196 times
FYI Coloured refers to a different ethnic group than black South Africans. They are not the same thing. Coloureds are of mixed race background and usually speak Afrikaans as their first language. Some can be very dark and others very light. They are the majority ethnic group in the Western Cape and Northern Cape. They were given higher status under the apartheid government than black South Africans, however still much lower status than whites. In Cape Town, they mostly live in segregated townships that are separate from the African townships. They generally feel discriminated by the ANC government and many say that Coloureds were too dark skinned for apartheid and too light skinned for the ANC.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,162,048 times
Is Capetown insecure? or dangerous ?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Every city will have some place where you just shouldn't go but on the whole Cape Town is fairly safe. I walk/drive around the city all the time.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I notice A LOT OF SECURITY...and A LOT OF POLICE PRESENCE.

My personal feeling is the gov't is doing a good job of containing it. Neighborhood watches and everything else. A lot of desperately poor and poverty-stricken people, but seems like it is kept in check somehow.

Most businesses and homes have 'armed response' for anyone thinking of burglarizing, etc. Also, pretty much everywhere you go, there are people you 'tip' as they will watch your car while its parked.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM

2,329 posts, read 1,466,789 times
Tiger as you know, my trip to Cape is coming up pretty soon. Kind of a silly question how impressive is Cape Town's setting. I love mountains so i am pretty anxious to see it for myself. Have you done any exploring/hiking in the surrounding mountains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or