U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Are Kenyans a bit ethnically different from others on the continent?

This is just a passing thought, but with so many long-distance runners coming out of Kenya (and Ethiopia)...and it's known that Ethiopians are unique compared to all of their neighbors...

How about Kenyans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Africa is one of the most ethnically and genetically diverse continents as I am sure you already know. I think it is a mixture of East African genes and location. I think Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya and Somalia all look like certain groups of Ethiopians.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:02 PM

141 posts, read 98,283 times
Every country in Africa is actually quite unique in its own way. Kenya's population mainly comprises of Bantu people and Nilotes, with some Cu****e's in the North and North East (Oromo's and Somali's).

I don't think the running capability was linked to their ethnic groups, I think it's because in these two countries, a lot of people live on high altitudes.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

This is just a passing thought, but with so many long-distance runners coming out of Kenya (and Ethiopia)...and it's known that Ethiopians are unique compared to all of their neighbors...

How about Kenyans?
I used to work with a woman from Kenya. She had spent most of her childhood in the U.S., then went back to Kenya then back to New York.

She explained to me that she was of the Luo tribe. Her brother had married a woman from another Kenyan tribe (don't remember the name) that the Luo were not supposed to marry, and she could tell who was from that tribe just by looking at them. However, her brother and his wife lived in Jersey City, where the neighbors only knew them as "from Africa" and had no clue that people in Africa could be distinguished by country, let alone tribe, so they were fine there even if as a couple they could not return to Kenya and be accepted.

She could point out people who were from West Somalia by sight, as well.

So, the ethnic differences are multiple and everywhere. We who aren't familiar with people in a certain part of the world just can't see them. It is all very interesting.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 PM

78,546 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

How about Kenyans?
Sometimes these things can be cultural. Native Americans have a very long tradition of long-distance running, and there have been some Olympic medal winners among them. I don't know if that's true of some of Kenya's peoples, as well. But it's an interesting angle.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 PM

78,546 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to work with a woman from Kenya. She had spent most of her childhood in the U.S., then went back to Kenya then back to New York.

She explained to me that she was of the Luo tribe. Her brother had married a woman from another Kenyan tribe (don't remember the name) that the Luo were not supposed to marry, and she could tell who was from that tribe just by looking at them. However, her brother and his wife lived in Jersey City, where the neighbors only knew them as "from Africa" and had no clue that people in Africa could be distinguished by country, let alone tribe, so they were fine there even if as a couple they could not return to Kenya and be accepted.

She could point out people who were from West Somalia by sight, as well.

So, the ethnic differences are multiple and everywhere. We who aren't familiar with people in a certain part of the world just can't see them. It is all very interesting.
President Obama is a Luo. Apparently they're regarded as low on the totem pole, because the buzz around Kenya at the time of his first election was, "Only in America could a Luo be elected President". And he does have a distinctive look. He has a little bit of the San/Bushman facial type. There were related peoples in Kenya, too.

From Wiki:

The Luo of Kenya descend from early fishing, agricultural and herding communities from western Kenya's early pre-colonial history. The Luo people and dialects of their language have historic roots across the Lake Victoria region. The Luo, through intermarriages and wars, are part of the genetic admixture that includes all modern East African ethnic groups, as well as members of the Buganda, Bunyoro, and Toro kingdoms, and the Nubians of modern-day Sudan.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-06-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
President Obama is a Luo. Apparently they're regarded as low on the totem pole, because the buzz around Kenya at the time of his first election was, "Only in America could a Luo be elected President". And he does have a distinctive look. He has a little bit of the San/Bushman facial type. There were related peoples in Kenya, too.

From Wiki:

The Luo of Kenya descend from early fishing, agricultural and herding communities from western Kenya's early pre-colonial history. The Luo people and dialects of their language have historic roots across the Lake Victoria region. The Luo, through intermarriages and wars, are part of the genetic admixture that includes all modern East African ethnic groups, as well as members of the Buganda, Bunyoro, and Toro kingdoms, and the Nubians of modern-day Sudan.
Thanks, very interesting!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM

177 posts, read 152,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Africa is one of the most ethnically and genetically diverse continents as I am sure you already know. I think it is a mixture of East African genes and location. I think Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, Kenya and Somalia all look like certain groups of Ethiopians.

This.

It also means nothing when you describe 'Kenya' - which is essentially a country with border lines drawn in an area that means nothing to the relationships, movements of people over the period of time necessary for any specific 'distinction' to take place. Its almost like asking whether the people in Florida are 'different' than those in Dallas. It has little relevance to anything at all.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:40 AM

1,514 posts, read 999,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
It also means nothing when you describe 'Kenya' - which is essentially a country with border lines drawn in an area that means nothing to the relationships, movements of people over the period of time necessary for any specific 'distinction' to take place. Its almost like asking whether the people in Florida are 'different' than those in Dallas. It has little relevance to anything at all.
The people I met in Africa seemed to have a good sense of their nations.

In fact, alot had more sense of nation than many Europeans I have met. Only one African expressed even slight regret to me that a related ethnic group had been placed in a neighboring country. Even this individual self identified as "Ivorian" and not as a member of a tribe. He then identified the related group as being "Liberians".

Sure, the borders were artificially drawn, but that does not mean that Kenyans have no sense of national identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or