U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,507,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Dude, debating with you is like talking to a first grader. You didn't refute any of my points. You just keep repeating the same statements over and over. Saying the same thing over and over is not going to make your statements true.

I'm gonna break your argument down line by line once again cause it seems you can't comprehend.

A. You say general things like "African slavery was so cruel that they included human sacrifice during the Dahomey(The Ashanti's) Annual Rites and the Festival of the Yams." I say, this seems to be isolated as part of this tribes cultural tradition and certainly not indicative of how other West Africans treated slavery(indentured servitude)

B. This statement again, you use broad sweeping generalizations but don't go into detail. The Ashanti? I've only read of African slaves(Primarily from the North and East but quite a few from the West) being castrated and used as harems during the Arabic slave trade. Please show proof that castration was being used by indigenous West African tribes before the Arabic invasion and I'll retract my rebuttal. Until then the burden of proof is on you.

C. Again, where's the detail? Just repeating the statement for the sake of repeating is not going to make it any more true.

D. So you're taking the account of Ibn Battuta as a means to indicate all forms of West African slavery(indentured servitude) to be more cruel? I mean come on, this sounds like the logic of a first grader. If you read the quote you provided it seems Mansa Suleyman offered the "cannibalistic tribe" a slave girl because he knew they came from a region where there was gold. Not saying this was right but it seems obvious he wanted to appease them for the access to the gold. Again, this isolated account is in know way indicative of how other West African tribes treated slaves(indentured servants)

E. Ok, again be specific. Which tribes other than the Ashanti?

F. Talk about non sequiturs. This is a prime example. Just a random statement that doesn't really apply to anything specific.

G. I'm not even going to keep repeating this. "Racist chattel system comparable to Western slavery"? Dude, do you even read the stuff you type. This is hilarious.

H. I've already stated what my response for this meant.

To anyone reading through this thread, I am no longer responding to this bufoonery. I have provided documentation of the mass castrations, the human sacrifices, even the cannibalism of slaves. I took 20 minutes or so of my time to type out a passage of a book sitting on my shelf. And this this man, who, lets be honest, has a very simplistic intelligence, refuses to understand that slaves were indeed treated as property in Africa. He keps shifting the bar, claiming that I said that ALL forms of African slavery were more cruel when I said that there were forms that were more cruel, and the like. It is obviously more because he lacks reading comprehension than anything, but it is clear that he also does not want to understand.

There is nothing futher I can do for him. He wants to dwell in his own reality. I hope the rest of you have all enjoyed hearing the truth.

Lets just keep replaying a few of the greatest hits:

Upon the order of the king, the prisoner designated for castration is siezed and a cord with a slip knot is places around his neck and tied to his right hand, thus preventing any resistance at the cost of strangling himself. The victim is laid on the ground where six stong men hold him down in such a way that that the operative area is level with a fairly large hole tha thas been previosuly dug in the ground. His head is covered with a sack. After having shaved the area, the operator puts a tight lashing both around the penis and the testicles at the root of the penis. Taking his curved, two edged knife and holding the genitles in his left hand, he cuts slolwy, beggining underneath and so up to the pubic hairs, making a veritble circular incision. He then proceeds with an acutal excision of the organ. No attempt is made to stop the bleeding: they wait for the hemorage to stop itself. For want of anything better, they turn the patient over on to his front so that the open wound is over the hole, while one of the attendents bends the right foot up towards the victim's back in order to increase the flow of blood.

and

Earlier, while Battuta was still at the capital, a group of African cannibals and their leader came to see sultan Mansa Suleiman. They wore large metal rings in their ears and wore silver mantles. they came from a region that possessed a gold mine, so the sultan was gracious to them, and gave them a slave woman as a hospitality gift. The cannibals killed and ate her, then smeared her blood on themselves and went to thank the sultan. As an aside, Battuta reported that he heard the tastiest meat came from the palms and the breasts.

and

it is recorded that that the death of the Ashanti queen in 1816, more than 3.500 slaves were murdered in her honor. Others--the healthies of the young males--were castrated and kept as eunuchs.

"Not only was slavery an established institution in West Africa before European traders arrived, but Africans were also involved in a trans-Saharan trade in slaves along these routes. African rulers and merchants were thus able to tap into preexisting methods and networks of enslavement to supply European demand for slaves. Enslavement was most often a byproduct of local warfare, kidnapping, or the manipulation of religious and judicial institutions. Military, political, and religious authority within West Africa determined who controlled access to the Atlantic slave trade. And some African elites, such as those in the Dahomey and Ashanti empires, took advantage of this control and used it to their profit by enslaving and selling other Africans to European traders."
Zayde Antrim

In Africa, many societies recognized slaves merely as property, but others saw them as dependents who eventually might be integrated into the families of slave owners.

http://autocww.colorado.edu/~blackmo...yInAfrica.html

Slaves were needed in pre-colonial Africa to provide labour in agriculture, trade and industry. Some slaves were employed in the administrative sectors of the state, kingdom or empire. Other slaves served in the military; some performed domestic chores, a few others were sacrificed and some satisfied the personal needs of individuals.

Some slaves were sacrificed in accordance with traditional beliefs and practices during festivals, ceremonial occasions, religious observances and the death of important personalities.

...One striking difference in the use of male and female slaves was in the area of procreation. Procreation did not only fulfil the needs of individuals but whole states. After war, disease or famine had decimated the population, the state would send officials to the slave markets to purchase female slaves to procreate and make up the dwindled population. Throughout the period of the slave trade, female slaves fetched higher prices than male slaves. Female slaves became the wives and concubines of individuals, chiefs and kings.

Source: Dr. Akosua Perbi - Manchester College - USA

Since Dahomey was a significant military power involved in the slave trade, slaves and human sacrifice became crucial aspects of the ceremony. Captives from war and criminals were killed for the deceased kings of Dahomey.[5][6] Most of the victims were sacrificed through decapitation, a tradition widely used by Dahomean kings, and the literal translation for the Fon name for the ceremony Xwetanu is "yearly head business".[7] In later years this ceremony also included the spilling of human blood from the sacrificed.[4] Related with this, there was also a significant military parade in the ceremonies that further displayed the military might of the kingdom of Dahomey.[

According to R. J. Rummel, "Just consider the Grand Custom in Dahomey: When a ruler died, hundreds, sometimes even thousands, of prisoners would be slain. In one of these ceremonies in 1727

Last edited by cachibatches; 03-13-2016 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 11:44 PM

323 posts, read 242,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
To anyone reading through this thread, I am no longer responding to this bufoonery. I have provided documentation of the mass castrations, the human sacrifices, even the cannibalism of slaves. I took 20 minutes or so of my time to type out a passage of a book sitting on my shelf. And this this man, who, lets be honest, has a very simplistic intelligence, refuses to understand that slaves were indeed treated as property in Africa. He keps shifting the bar, claiming that I said that ALL forms of African slavery were more cruel when I said that there were forms that were more cruel, and the like. It is obviously more because he lacks reading comprehension than anything, but it is clear that he also does not want to understand.

There is nothing futher I can do for him. He wants to dwell in his own reality. I hope the rest of you have all enjoyed hearing the truth.

Lets just keep replaying a few of the greatest hits:

Upon the order of the king, the prisoner designated for castration is siezed and a cord with a slip knot is places around his neck and tied to his right hand, thus preventing any resistance at the cost of strangling himself. The victim is laid on the ground where six stong men hold him down in such a way that that the operative area is level with a fairly large hole tha thas been previosuly dug in the ground. His head is covered with a sack. After having shaved the area, the operator puts a tight lashing both around the penis and the testicles at the root of the penis. Taking his curved, two edged knife and holding the genitles in his left hand, he cuts slolwy, beggining underneath and so up to the pubic hairs, making a veritble circular incision. He then proceeds with an acutal excision of the organ. No attempt is made to stop the bleeding: they wait for the hemorage to stop itself. For want of anything better, they turn the patient over on to his front so that the open wound is over the hole, while one of the attendents bends the right foot up towards the victim's back in order to increase the flow of blood.

and

Earlier, while Battuta was still at the capital, a group of African cannibals and their leader came to see sultan Mansa Suleiman. They wore large metal rings in their ears and wore silver mantles. they came from a region that possessed a gold mine, so the sultan was gracious to them, and gave them a slave woman as a hospitality gift. The cannibals killed and ate her, then smeared her blood on themselves and went to thank the sultan. As an aside, Battuta reported that he heard the tastiest meat came from the palms and the breasts.

and

it is recorded that that the death of the Ashanti queen in 1816, more than 3.500 slaves were murdered in her honor. Others--the healthies of the young males--were castrated and kept as eunuchs.

You're a funny guy lol. Instead of refuting my points you resort to name calling. Talk about simplistic intelligence, it seems you can't even have a debate without resorting to name calling. Looks to me that you use these tactics as a means of deflection when there's something you can't answer.

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-13-2016 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
You're a funny guy lol. Instead of refuting my points you resort to name calling. Talk about simplistic intelligence, it seems you can't even have a debate without resorting go to name calling. Looks to me that you use these tactics as a means of deflection when there's something you can't answer.
Your people kindapped women for rape.
your people kidnapped men to castrate
Your people captured both for human sacrifice, even sometimes burning them alive
Your people cannibalized slaves.
These are actions that are performed on chattel slaves, not future household members.
You don't have any points, you aren't even following what is being said. You are flailing from moral cowardice.

Please think very carefully before you answer. I am just going to keep finding more evidences for the extreme cruelty of African slavery. I can do it on and off for the rest of my life and keep this thread going so that everyone who wants to research this topic can see it. Do you want to keep this going? I sure do.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Your people kindapped women for rape.
your people kidnapped men to castrate
Your people captured both for human sacrifice, even sometimes burning them alive
Your people cannibalized slaves.
These are actions that are performed on chattel slaves, not future household members.
You don't have any points, you aren't even following what is being said. You are flailing from moral cowardice.

Please think very carefully before you answer. I am just going to keep finding more evidences for the extreme cruelty of African slavery. I can do it on and off for the rest of my life and keep this thread going so that everyone who wants to research this topic can see it. Do you want to keep this going? I sure do.
I thought you were done? lol. Repeating the same thing doesn't make it true. Be my guest though lol.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I thought you were done? lol. Repeating the same thing doesn't make it true. Be my guest if though lol.

and

and

"Not only was slavery an established institution in West Africa before European traders arrived, but Africans were also involved in a trans-Saharan trade in slaves along these routes. African rulers and merchants were thus able to tap into preexisting methods and networks of enslavement to supply European demand for slaves. Enslavement was most often a byproduct of local warfare, kidnapping, or the manipulation of religious and judicial institutions. Military, political, and religious authority within West Africa determined who controlled access to the Atlantic slave trade. And some African elites, such as those in the Dahomey and Ashanti empires, took advantage of this control and used it to their profit by enslaving and selling other Africans to European traders."
Zayde Antrim

In Africa, many societies recognized slaves merely as property, but others saw them as dependents who eventually might be integrated into the families of slave owners.

Slavery in Africa

Slaves were needed in pre-colonial Africa to provide labour in agriculture, trade and industry. Some slaves were employed in the administrative sectors of the state, kingdom or empire. Other slaves served in the military; some performed domestic chores, a few others were sacrificed and some satisfied the personal needs of individuals.

Some slaves were sacrificed in accordance with traditional beliefs and practices during festivals, ceremonial occasions, religious observances and the death of important personalities.

...One striking difference in the use of male and female slaves was in the area of procreation. Procreation did not only fulfil the needs of individuals but whole states. After war, disease or famine had decimated the population, the state would send officials to the slave markets to purchase female slaves to procreate and make up the dwindled population. Throughout the period of the slave trade, female slaves fetched higher prices than male slaves. Female slaves became the wives and concubines of individuals, chiefs and kings.

Source: Dr. Akosua Perbi - Manchester College - USA

Since Dahomey was a significant military power involved in the slave trade, slaves and human sacrifice became crucial aspects of the ceremony. Captives from war and criminals were killed for the deceased kings of Dahomey.[5][6] Most of the victims were sacrificed through decapitation, a tradition widely used by Dahomean kings, and the literal translation for the Fon name for the ceremony Xwetanu is "yearly head business".[7] In later years this ceremony also included the spilling of human blood from the sacrificed.[4] Related with this, there was also a significant military parade in the ceremonies that further displayed the military might of the kingdom of Dahomey.[

According to R. J. Rummel, "Just consider the Grand Custom in Dahomey: When a ruler died, hundreds, sometimes even thousands, of prisoners would be slain. In one of these ceremonies in 1727

In various places in Africa, where human sacrifice was connected with ancestor worship, some of the slaves of the deceased were buried alive with him, or they were killed and laid beneath him in his grave. Encyclopedia Britanica

Among the African Asante, the victims sacrificed as first-fruit offerings during the Festival of New Yams were usually criminals, though slaves also were killed. Encyclopedia Britanica

Old 03-13-2016, 12:13 AM

Now you're just spamming lol

Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Now you're just spamming lol
It is called evidence. And we are just going to keep dumping more and more for all the world to see. I will return to this thread indefinately.

While it was agreed that the victims sacrificed included wives, slaves and criminals, there is dispute to the degree over which sacrifices derived from sacrifical, religious or judicial, actions. Although the history of human sacrifce in Yoruba disticts...
Cambridge University Press, Olutunji Ojo.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
It is called evidence. And we are just going to keep dumping more and more for all the world to see. I will return to this thread indefinately.

While it was agreed that the victims sacrificed included wives, slaves and criminals, there is dispute to the degree over which sacrifices derived from sacrifical, religious or judicial, actions. Although the history of human sacrifce in Yoruba disticts...
Cambridge University Press, Olutunji Ojo.
Evidence you say? Your sources only mention the Ashanti sacrifice rituals and the Dahomey which got involved in the Atlantic slave AFTER European contact. Where's the proof of chattel slavery existing in West Africa prior to European contact? Where's the evidence of the cruelty you speak of outside of the Ashanti sacrifice rituals? So far you haven't shown anything that you haven't already stated.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Evidence you say? Your sources only mention the Ashanti sacrifice rituals and the Dahomey which got involved in the Atlantic slave AFTER European contact. Where's the proof of chattel slavery existing prior to European contact? So far you haven't shown anything that you haven't already stated.
There are almost no sources on West Africa BEFORE contact because West African barely new writing at least until the Arabs taught them Ajami, which they used primarily for recording detais of every day life.

Nonetheless, Europeans did not commit human sacrifice--these are black African customs.

Its not our fault that we are the ones that recorded your history. So the points stands. These represent the extreme cruelty of YOUR people in how they treated slaves, and had nothing to do with Europe.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
There are almsot no sources on West Africa BEFORE contact because West African barely new writing at least until the Arabs taught them Ajami, which they used primarily for recording detais of every day life.

Nonetheless, Europeans did not commit human sacrifice--these are black African customs.

Its not our fault that we are the ones that recorded your history. So the points stand. These represent the extreme cruelty of YOUR people in how they treated slaves, and had nothing to do with Europe.

Waht is more, I am about done with your thread hijacking. We are talking about precolonial African slavery as per OP, not pre-European contact African slavery:
Ok, so now we're getting to the jist of your argument. Starting to sound a lil racist here lol. Europeans didn't commit human sacrifice? Seriously?

"According to Roman and Greek sources, Phoenicians and Carthaginians sacrificed infants to their gods. The bones of numerous infants have been found in Carthaginian archaeological sites in modern times but the subject of child sacrifice is controversial.[22] In a single child cemetery called the Tophet by archaeologists, an estimated 20,000 urns were deposited"

References to human sacrifice can be found in Greek historical accounts as well as mythology. The human sacrifice in mythology, the deus ex machina salvation in some versions of Iphigeneia (who was about to be sacrificed by her father Agamemnon) and her replacement with a deer by the goddess Artemis, may be a vestigial memory of the abandonment and discrediting of the practice of human sacrifice among the Greeks in favour of animal sacrifice.[citation needed]

"In ancient Rome, human sacrifice was infrequent but documented. Dionysius of Halicarnassus[26] says that the ritual of the Argei, in which straw figures were tossed into the Tiber river, may have been a substitute for an original offering of elderly men. After the Roman defeat at Cannae two Gauls and two Greeks in male-female couples were buried under the Forum Boarium, in a stone chamber used for the purpose at least once before.[27] The rite was apparently repeated in 113 BCE, preparatory to an invasion of Gaul.[28] According to Pliny the Elder, human sacrifice was banned by law during the consulship of Publius Licinius Crassus and Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus in 97 BCE, although by this time it was so rare that the decree was largely symbolic.[29] Captured enemy leaders were only occasionally executed at the conclusion of a Roman triumph, and the Romans themselves did not consider these deaths a sacrificial offering.[citation needed] Gladiator combat was thought by the Romans to have originated as fights to the death among war captives at the funerals of Roman generals, and Christian polemicists such as Tertullian considered deaths in the arena to be little more than human sacrifice.[30]"

"Main articles: Wicker man and decapitation"

"According to Roman sources, Celtic Druids engaged extensively in human sacrifice.[31] According to Julius Caesar, the slaves and dependents of Gauls of rank would be burnt along with the body of their master as part of his funerary rites.[32] He also describes how they built wicker figures that were filled with living humans and then burned.[33] According to Cassius Dio, Boudica's forces impaled Roman captives during her rebellion against the Roman occupation, to the accompaniment of revelry and sacrifices in the sacred groves of Andate.[34] Different gods reportedly required different kinds of sacrifices. Victims meant for Esus were hanged, those meant for Taranis immolated and those for Teutates drowned. Some, like the Lindow Man, may have gone to their deaths willingly."

"Contradicting the Roman sources, more recent scholarship finds that "there is little archeological evidence" of human sacrifice by the Celts, and suggests the likelihood that Greeks and Romans disseminated negative information out of disdain for the barbarians.[35] There is no evidence of the practices Caesar described, and the stories of human sacrifice appear to derive from a single source, Poseidonius, whose claims are unsupported.[36]"

"Archaeological evidence from the British Isles seems to indicate that human sacrifice may have been practised, over times long pre-dating any contact with Rome. Human remains have been found at the foundations of structures from the Neolithic time to the Roman era, with injuries and in positions that argue for their being foundation sacrifices.[citation needed]"

On the other hand, ritualised decapitation was a major religious and cultural practice which has found copious support in the archaeological record, including the numerous skulls discovered in Londinium's River Walbrook and the 12 headless corpses at the French late Iron Age sanctuary of Gournay-sur-Aronde.[37]

Human sacrifice was not a particularly common occurrence among the Germanic peoples, being resorted to in exceptional situations arising from crises of an environmental (crop failure, drought, famine) or social (war) nature, often thought to derive at least in part from the failure of the king to establish and/or maintain prosperity and peace (árs ok friđar) in the lands entrusted to him.[38] In later Scandinavian practice, human sacrifice appears to have become more institutionalised, and was repeated as part of a larger sacrifice on a periodic basis (according to Adam of Bremen every nine years).[39]

Evidence of Germanic practices of human sacrifice predating the Viking Age depend on archaeology and on a few scattered accounts in Greco-Roman ethnography. For example, Tacitus reports Germanic human sacrifice to (what he interprets as) Mercury, and to Isis specifically among the Suebians. Jordanes reports how the Goths sacrificed prisoners of war to Mars, suspending the severed arms of the victims from the branches of trees.

By the 10th century, Germanic paganism had become restricted to Scandinavia. One account by Ahmad ibn Fadlan as part of his account of an embassy to the Volga Bulgars in 921 claims that Norse warriors were sometimes buried with enslaved women with the belief that these women would become their wives in Valhalla. In his description of the funeral of a Scandinavian chieftain, a slave volunteers to die with a Norseman. After ten days of festivities, she is stabbed to death by an old woman, a sort of priestess who is referred to as Völva or "Angel of Death", and burnt together with the dead in his boat. This practice is evidenced archaeologically, with many male warrior burials (such as the ship burial at Balladoole on the Isle of Man, or that at Oseberg in Norway[40]) also containing female remains with signs of trauma.

"According to Adémar de Chabannes, just before his death in 932 or 933 Rollo (founder and first ruler of the Viking principality of Normandy) practised human sacrifices to appease the pagan gods, and at the same time made gifts to the churches in Normandy.[41]"

"Adam von Bremen recorded human sacrifices to Odin in 11th-century Sweden, at the Temple at Uppsala, a tradition which is confirmed by Gesta Danorum and the Norse sagas. According to the Ynglinga saga, king Domalde was sacrificed there in the hope of bringing greater future harvests and the total domination of all future wars. The same saga also relates that Domalde's descendant king Aun sacrificed nine of his own sons to Odin in exchange for longer life, until the Swedes stopped him from sacrificing his last son, Egil."

"Heidrek in the Hervarar saga agrees to the sacrifice of his son in exchange for the command over a fourth of the men of Reidgotaland. With these, he seizes the entire kingdom and prevents the sacrifice of his son, dedicating those fallen in his rebellion to Odin instead."

"Slavic peoples[edit]"

"Main article: Slavic paganism"

"Sixth century Byzantine emperor Mauricius's Strategikon wrote of the Slavs:[42]"

“ They don't hold their prisoners indefinitely, like other people, but, limiting their time as prisoners, offer them a choice: either to ransom their way back to home or to stay where they are, as free man and friends.[43] ”

In the 10th century, Persian explorer Ahmad ibn Rustah described funerary rites for the Rus' (Scandinavian Norsemen traders in northeastern Europe) including the sacrifice of a young female slave.[44] Leo the Deacon describes prisoner sacrifice by the Rus' led by Sviatoslav during the Russo-Byzantine War "in accordance with their ancestral custom."[45]

According to the 12th-century Russian Primary Chronicle, prisoners of war were sacrificed to the supreme Slavic deity Perun. Sacrifices to pagan gods, along with paganism itself, were banned after the Baptism of Rus by Prince Vladimir I in the 980s.[46]

Archeological findings indicate that the practice may have been widespread, at least among slaves, judging from mass graves containing the cremated fragments of a number of different people.[44]

"Human sacrifice was not a particularly common occurrence among the Germanic peoples, being resorted to in exceptional situations arising from crises of an environmental (crop failure, drought, famine) or social (war) nature, often thought to derive at least in part from the failure of the king to establish and/or maintain prosperity and peace (árs ok friđar) in the lands entrusted to him.[38] In later Scandinavian practice, human sacrifice appears to have become more institutionalised, and was repeated as part of a larger sacrifice on a periodic basis (according to Adam of Bremen every nine years).[39]"

"Evidence of Germanic practices of human sacrifice predating the Viking Age depend on archaeology and on a few scattered accounts in Greco-Roman ethnography. For example, Tacitus reports Germanic human sacrifice to (what he interprets as) Mercury, and to Isis specifically among the Suebians. Jordanes reports how the Goths sacrificed prisoners of war to Mars, suspending the severed arms of the victims from the branches of trees."

"By the 10th century, Germanic paganism had become restricted to Scandinavia. One account by Ahmad ibn Fadlan as part of his account of an embassy to the Volga Bulgars in 921 claims that Norse warriors were sometimes buried with enslaved women with the belief that these women would become their wives in Valhalla. In his description of the funeral of a Scandinavian chieftain, a slave volunteers to die with a Norseman. After ten days of festivities, she is stabbed to death by an old woman, a sort of priestess who is referred to as Völva or "Angel of Death", and burnt together with the dead in his boat. This practice is evidenced archaeologically, with many male warrior burials (such as the ship burial at Balladoole on the Isle of Man, or that at Oseberg in Norway[40]) also containing female remains with signs of trauma."

"According to Adémar de Chabannes, just before his death in 932 or 933 Rollo (founder and first ruler of the Viking principality of Normandy) practised human sacrifices to appease the pagan gods, and at the same time made gifts to the churches in Normandy.[41]"

"Adam von Bremen recorded human sacrifices to Odin in 11th-century Sweden, at the Temple at Uppsala, a tradition which is confirmed by Gesta Danorum and the Norse sagas. According to the Ynglinga saga, king Domalde was sacrificed there in the hope of bringing greater future harvests and the total domination of all future wars. The same saga also relates that Domalde's descendant king Aun sacrificed nine of his own sons to Odin in exchange for longer life, until the Swedes stopped him from sacrificing his last son, Egil."

"Heidrek in the Hervarar saga agrees to the sacrifice of his son in exchange for the command over a fourth of the men of Reidgotaland. With these, he seizes the entire kingdom and prevents the sacrifice of his son, dedicating those fallen in his rebellion to Odin instead."

"Slavic peoples[edit]"

"Main article: Slavic paganism"

Sixth century Byzantine emperor Mauricius's Strategikon wrote of the Slavs:[42]

“ They don't hold their prisoners indefinitely, like other people, but, limiting their time as prisoners, offer them a choice: either to ransom their way back to home or to stay where they are, as free man and friends.[43] ”

"In the 10th century, Persian explorer Ahmad ibn Rustah described funerary rites for the Rus' (Scandinavian Norsemen traders in northeastern Europe) including the sacrifice of a young female slave.[44] Leo the Deacon describes prisoner sacrifice by the Rus' led by Sviatoslav during the Russo-Byzantine War "in accordance with their ancestral custom."[45]

"According to the 12th-century Russian Primary Chronicle, prisoners of war were sacrificed to the supreme Slavic deity Perun. Sacrifices to pagan gods, along with paganism itself, were banned after the Baptism of Rus by Prince Vladimir I in the 980s.[46]"

"Archeological findings indicate that the practice may have been widespread, at least among slaves, judging from mass graves containing the cremated fragments of a number of different people.[44]"

This was just after a quick Google search lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice

Last edited by jkc2j; 03-13-2016 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa