U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:06 PM

155 posts, read 146,615 times

Advertisements

I have always dreamed of moving to Africa since I was 6 years old. I saw several pictures and videos that somehow deterred me away for second but in the back of my mind I said I would be going back to live where my elders once stayed. I am tired of being treated a certain way here in A,Erica and the whole American system is just so dumb to me. I want to go to a place where I'm finally accepted for my character and not the color of my skin. I hear nothing but positive stories from some of my friends who have made the decision to move there as well. They say it truly is the motherland and feels like home and that the media really blows things out of proportion about Africa. I don't know what area I would like to stay in. I thought about Lagos,Nigeria,Ghana,Ivory Coast,Kenya,and even South Africa. From doing some background research I know that my great great grandfather was Ethiopian but that's about as far as I got with that research. I am a Christian and I am very friendly towards Muslim believers. My fathers family are Muslims so I grew up around both religions as a child. However, in saying that I don't want to move into an area where there is conflict among the religions. My basic questions are how is cost of living in any of those countries, public transportation,housing,jobs,nightlife,religious life,utilities,and also very importantly college. I want to finish my biology degree and attend medical school. Thank you all for your time and I hope I get some responses soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:44 AM

691 posts, read 920,312 times
I would finish school in the U.S (college and medical school) then do Peace Corps or work for an International agency or company to decide if I want to live there..You DO know you will be considered AMERICAN first..and that American racial ideas don't mean anything in an all black society.. Culture shock will happen also..

Talk to Africans from specific countries you want to go to also..

Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 PM

276 posts, read 294,040 times
I can help you with any South Africa questions

Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 PM

141 posts, read 98,548 times
^^^ And I can help with any Ethiopia questions

Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 PM

11 posts, read 7,977 times
I strongly suggest that you visit some of the places you mention before even considering moving. Forgive me, but your post seems very idealistic and lacks any touch with reality.

I live in Lagos, and it's a very, very rough place.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,419,294 times
Thaddeus Hewitt - There was a 80's R&B Group named The Boys. They became disgruntled with the American way of life and all moved to Gambia Africa and have been living there happily going on 20 years, recording music and raising their families. Their new group name in Gambia is Suns of Light. They have videos on youtube about them living in Gambia. Search The Boys, Suns of Light, Orphan Wild Song.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ75 View Post
I strongly suggest that you visit some of the places you mention before even considering moving. Forgive me, but your post seems very idealistic and lacks any touch with reality.

I live in Lagos, and it's a very, very rough place.
I understand what you're saying.. I have never visited Africa and I have heard about the crime in some areas I just don't try to let it deter me without having my own experience because I have grown in some very rough neighborhoods myself. I just find Africa unique and I feel like it would be a very spiritual,emotional trip for me as well. What is Lagos like?

Old 10-28-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Thaddeus Hewitt - There was a 80's R&B Group named The Boys. They became disgruntled with the American way of life and all moved to Gambia Africa and have been living there happily going on 20 years, recording music and raising their families. Their new group name in Gambia is Suns of Light. They have videos on youtube about them living in Gambia. Search The Boys, Suns of Light, Orphan Wild Song.
That's how me and a lot of my peers feel. Soooooooo many people want to move to Africa from the African diaspora

Old 10-28-2016, 07:21 AM

402 posts, read 307,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I would finish school in the U.S (college and medical school) then do Peace Corps or work for an International agency or company to decide if I want to live there..You DO know you will be considered AMERICAN first..and that American racial ideas don't mean anything in an all black society.. Culture shock will happen also..

Talk to Africans from specific countries you want to go to also..

Yes! This right here will be the issue.

I've talked to several people from different countries. I'll definitely have to control my 'American ways'.

However, i still want to go.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,911,661 times
If Africa is calling, you should give it a try, what have you got to lose? Is your wife on the same page?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or