U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 PM
 
24,221 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Reputation: 9150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have not noticed that owning land is a priority or motivation for most people, at least not here in Europe.
You make people seem more greedy and ambitious than they actually are. In Germany for instance the majority of people never own any home nor land. About 60% of people live in rented apartments and homes, and are content.

But yes, I agree to your rhetorical question: what is the point in acquiring wealth? There are other things that are much more important. Health, happiness, safety and security...
Someone owns the property renters are living with in Europe, and those people have a vastly different lifestyle from the renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,421 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Someone owns the property renters are living with in Europe, and those people have a vastly different lifestyle from the renters.
Actually, no. Since I never wanted to own housing, I have always rented my places and often gotten to know my landlords. Most of them are normal middle-class people like myself, not rich people. Many people I know could afford to buy a home, but don't want to. For instance because they move a lot and want to be free. Another reason is that rented apartments have a high standard by now, so one doesn't really benefit from owning a place vs renting it.
There is also a lot of public housing owned and provided by the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 PM
 
24,221 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually, no. Since I never wanted to own housing, I have always rented my places and often gotten to know my landlords. Most of them are normal middle-class people like myself, not rich people. Many people I know could afford to buy a home, but don't want to. For instance because they move a lot and want to be free. Another reason is that rented apartments have a high standard by now, so one doesn't really benefit from owning a place vs renting it.
There is also a lot of public housing owned and provided by the state.
Real estate is big business in European cities. You're outright lying in order to rent an argument. I've met the people I rent from in Barcelona, and there are reasons they have so much business from foreigners. In fact I've interviewed for real estate jobs in Barcelona, and one of the selling points was how much money I could make doing this, as the company wanted English speakers to sell to other English speakers moving to Barcelona.

Portugal, like Spain, also makes a lot of money from tourism and real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,421 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Real estate is big business in European cities. You're outright lying in order to rent an argument. I've met the people I rent from in Barcelona, and there are reasons they have so much business from foreigners. In fact I've interviewed for real estate jobs in Barcelona, and one of the selling points was how much money I could make doing this, as the company wanted English speakers to sell to other English speakers moving to Barcelona.

Portugal, like Spain, also makes a lot of money from tourism and real estate.
Barcelona is infamous for its problems, which luckily doesn't apply to many places. There is a reason why locals in Barcelona are fighting tourism now. It has totally gotten out of hand there. But even in Barcelona most renters still have decent, middle-class landlords.

I have lived in Portugal for over a decade now, in various parts of the country. I always had rented apartments and the landlords were always normal middle-class people like myself. One of them was a lawyer, she had her office above my apartment and lived next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:02 PM
 
24,221 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Barcelona is infamous for its problems, which luckily doesn't apply to many places. There is a reason why locals in Barcelona are fighting tourism now. It has totally gotten out of hand there. But even in Barcelona most renters still have decent, middle-class landlords.

I have lived in Portugal for over a decade now, in various parts of the country. I always had rented apartments and the landlords were always normal middle-class people like myself. One of them was a lawyer, she had her office above my apartment and lived next door.
And each year Barcelona has more and more tourists. The fight is very ineffective. There are other parts of Spain that have lots of tourists. The Spanish and Portuguese governments send delegations to other nations and otherwise promote both countries as they seek more tourists and more foreign investment. Without that both nations would be much poorer. The same for Italy.

NYC itself, in America, would be a decayed city without tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 12:27 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,421 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
It is hard to find the right compromise, but Barcelona is really suffering, a few touristy parts of Lisbon and Porto also as a number of greedy landlords have not renewed their tenants' contracts so they can rent their rooms and apartments to tourists for 50-100 euros a day instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 AM
 
24,221 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is hard to find the right compromise, but Barcelona is really suffering, a few touristy parts of Lisbon and Porto also as a number of greedy landlords have not renewed their tenants' contracts so they can rent their rooms and apartments to tourists for 50-100 euros a day instead.
Barcelona is not suffering. It's doing very well and the economic engine of Catalonia and a very important part of Spain's economy.

And yes, you admit lots of money is made in Oporto and Lisbon. Tourists spend money at businesses in these cities that hire locals, and money from tourists leads to the creation of other businesses. Plus where you have tourism you have lots of foreign investment which further develops the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 AM
 
24,221 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Reputation: 9150
https://www.forbes.com/sites/heather.../#78df34193682

Portugal is a top choice for foreign investors. Of course Portuguese businessmen are interested in making as much money as possible, and this is true in other European nations as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 01:47 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,421 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Barcelona is not suffering. It's doing very well and the economic engine of Catalonia and a very important part of Spain's economy.

And yes, you admit lots of money is made in Oporto and Lisbon. Tourists spend money at businesses in these cities that hire locals, and money from tourists leads to the creation of other businesses. Plus where you have tourism you have lots of foreign investment which further develops the economy.
No, there are anti-tourism movements by Barcelona locals because the masses of tourists are turning their city into a kind of Disneyland where locals no longer feel at home, not to mention the rising prices.

Admit?! I never said there was no tourism or that there was no money in it. There is, but only for some, while others are suffering.

https://www.noticiasaominuto.com/mun...ades-europeias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,421 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/heather.../#78df34193682

Portugal is a top choice for foreign investors. Of course Portuguese businessmen are interested in making as much money as possible, and this is true in other European nations as well.
What is your point? I don't understand what you are talking about. We were talking about the life style of home owners vs tenants.
I never said anything about foreign investment. I know Portugal is booming, I know it better than you ever will because I live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top