U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,500 posts, read 1,699,618 times
Reputation: 2212

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Black folks are bizarre in this way of thinking. When was Asia and Europe united as one? Even with the EU, after centuries of bloodshed, Europe isn't united. et Blacks think Africans in Ethiopia should have the same interests and aspirations as Africans in the Congo who should get on the same page as Nigerians simly because they share a land mass and general skin color.
I hope you realize no one in Africa actually thinks this. An African united state is solely the brainchild of people on this side of the pond. Africans think about unification less than Europe does and more than East Asia does but their are other regions with more legit union processses than Africa like ASEAN, EU, NAFTA and the Gran Colombia idea which was actually a country for some period of time.Even Central Asia and Central America is more unified than any idea of a unified Africa. Now if your talking about EAC or West Africa that is more of a thing. But Central African countries as in any country not in the West/South or Eastern regions of Africa don’t even have defined borders of the region let alone a unified country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_integration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Colombia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asso..._Asian_Nations

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 05-16-2018 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,383 posts, read 19,304,861 times
Reputation: 8493
I agree, it is mostly the thinking of white people, who have no understanding for all the differences between African ethnic groups. Like, they all look the same, they might as well form one country

Europeans are much closer to each other, yet they refuse the idea of one country. The EU is already way too much for many Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,426,727 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree, it is mostly the thinking of white people, who have no understanding for all the differences between African ethnic groups. Like, they all look the same, they might as well form one country

Europeans are much closer to each other, yet they refuse the idea of one country. The EU is already way too much for many Europeans.
Naw this is a major thing among African-American intellectuals. A united Africa, Caribbean and American Blacks united against the white man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,426,727 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I hope you realize no one in Africa actually thinks this. An African united state is solely the brainchild of people on this side of the pond. Africans think about unification less than Europe does and more than East Asia does but their are other regions with more legit union processses than Africa like ASEAN, EU, NAFTA and the Gran Colombia idea which was actually a country for some period of time.Even Central Asia and Central America is more unified than any idea of a unified Africa. Now if your talking about EAC or West Africa that is more of a thing. But Central African countries as in any country not in the West/South or Eastern regions of Africa donít even have defined borders of the region let alone a unified country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_integration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Colombia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asso..._Asian_Nations
I guess I should have been more specific but by "black" I mean African-American. Although Pan-Africanism was also a goal of Nkrumah, who picked it up during his studies in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,383 posts, read 19,304,861 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Naw this is a major thing among African-American intellectuals. A united Africa, Caribbean and American Blacks united against the white man.
In that case they are just as ignorant as whites are.
Africans don't even like each other, and I doubt many African-Americans would be happy in Africa. Maybe it's just the dream of a black mother continent that was a harmonious paradise before evil whites came along and ruined it all ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 AM
 
24,199 posts, read 17,590,002 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Naw this is a major thing among African-American intellectuals. A united Africa, Caribbean and American Blacks united against the white man.
African American identity is a creation of white american politics. White Americans grouped together people from all over Africa, deliberately eradicated any cultural knowledge or cultural identity among them, and then passed ridiculous one drop rules grouping in mixed race people as just "Black"/African American. So needless to say some African Americans absorbed this and continue to act it out.

With that said any African American who has had substantial contacts with people from other nations would know of linguistic, cultural, and religious differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM
 
24,199 posts, read 17,590,002 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In that case they are just as ignorant as whites are.
Africans don't even like each other, and I doubt many African-Americans would be happy in Africa. Maybe it's just the dream of a black mother continent that was a harmonious paradise before evil whites came along and ruined it all ^^
3,000 African Americans have moved to Ghana because Ghana gives people of African descent via the right to return for citizenship. The people who moved there said they loved it, and that they felt very welcome and at home in Ghana. They said they got tired of the racial issues in the United States, and just wanted to be done with it.

With that said, you have to be committed to make such a move, and Ghana is only taking in well off African Americans who can contribute to the country with no criminal records. Those who live there complain about frequent power outages and the like, but from the people I have read accounts from overall seem to think of it as positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,383 posts, read 19,304,861 times
Reputation: 8493
Found an interesting article on the "Blaxit":
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...092736345.html

Gorgeous woman, America's loss, Ghana's gain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,426,727 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
3,000 African Americans have moved to Ghana because Ghana gives people of African descent via the right to return for citizenship. The people who moved there said they loved it, and that they felt very welcome and at home in Ghana. They said they got tired of the racial issues in the United States, and just wanted to be done with it.

With that said, you have to be committed to make such a move, and Ghana is only taking in well off African Americans who can contribute to the country with no criminal records. Those who live there complain about frequent power outages and the like, but from the people I have read accounts from overall seem to think of it as positive.
Just to be clear, Ghana does not have a right to return citizenship. It does have the right of abode for anyone of African descent. So in this case it's different than israel's right of return law which grants citizenship to any Jew the moment they are on Israeli soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
Reputation: 7987
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
African American identity is a creation of white american politics. White Americans grouped together people from all over Africa, deliberately eradicated any cultural knowledge or cultural identity among them, and then passed ridiculous one drop rules grouping in mixed race people as just "Black"/African American. So needless to say some African Americans absorbed this and continue to act it out.

With that said any African American who has had substantial contacts with people from other nations would know of linguistic, cultural, and religious differences.
'
So, how many African Americans are aware of the cultural identity of their African ancestry, and can distinguish their own from any of their African American acquaintances? Other than by their linguistic, cultgural and religious differences, which have all been imposed on them not by their roots, but by their current nation of birth/residence/schooling/compulsory pledge of allegiance. If anything is artificial, it is the pretense that any of these African-rooted attributes have survived through the generations beyond Africa.

As I recall, white American politics did not create "African American identity", they created "Negro identity". The, African Americans, offended by the perfectly polite and respectful word, renamed themselves "African American", thus becoming different in name only. And, for reasons unknown, distinguished themselves from African Canadians, African Dominicans, African Cubans, African Bahamians, etc., not on the basis of where they came from, but where they got put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top