U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM

2,129 posts, read 775,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
What’s happening in South Africa is insane! It’s like they didn’t learn exactly the reprocussions on doing the from a decade ago.
Once private property rights are gone you're destined to be poor, forever. No one is going to invest capital into a place with no or little private property rights where their investments can just be taken at any point. The reason the US has a 20 trillion dollar economy is that they have the strongest private property rights in the history of the world. Capital feels safe there, investing there is less risky.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Once private property rights are gone you're destined to be poor, forever. No one is going to invest capital into a place with no or little private property rights where their investments can just be taken at any point. The reason the US has a 20 trillion dollar economy is that they have the strongest private property rights in the history of the world. Capital feels safe there, investing there is less risky.
China. Which certainly had property seized by the communist government, yet some time later had no problem getting foreign investment. The same is true of Vietnam. Actually, the same is true of Russia and Eastern Europe.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,450,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
China. Which certainly had property seized by the communist government, yet some time later had no problem getting foreign investment. The same is true of Vietnam. Actually, the same is true of Russia and Eastern Europe.
I find it hard to believe you're a writer or much of a good one. You seem to miss salient points that other posters make and then argue against, rather rudely about points they never made.

He's saying if a country has no property rights it won't have much of any foreign direct investment. The countries you listed at one point in time confiscated property or eliminated the notion of private property rights. They no longer or have reduced these practices so yes today they have foreign property investment. You think Apple would build or produce its Iphones in China if China seized the finished products for themselves?

Old 05-24-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I find it hard to believe you're a writer or much of a good one. You seem to miss salient points that other posters make and then argue against, rather rudely about points they never made.

He's saying if a country has no property rights it won't have much of any foreign direct investment. The countries you listed at one point in time confiscated property or eliminated the notion of private property rights. They no longer or have reduced these practices so yes today they have foreign property investment. You think Apple would build or produce its Iphones in China if China seized the finished products for themselves?
It doesn't matter what you believe, my writer has taking me as far as I needed it to. Which has been pretty far.

He claimed a country that seized private property would destroy it's economy permanently. China, Vietnam, among others prove that isn't the case.

The issue for him isn't about private property, it's about a Black government seizing the farms from white farmers.

Which happened all over Africa post independence.

And yet certain African countries like Ghana have fast growing economies (Ghana and Ethiopia).

Old 05-28-2018, 06:04 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,944,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With that said any African American who has had substantial contacts with people from other nations would know of linguistic, cultural, and religious differences.
Most AAs know little and care little about blacks whose immediate ancestry is from outside of the USA. Get out of places with large black immigrant populations and most AAs see them as if they just arrived from Mars, and cannot even begin conceptualize them as fellow blacks. And in fact don't even identify with them more than they would a white American.

This is what makes the pan Africanism of a very, very, very, small Afrocentric intellectual class to be pure fantasy. Black Americans have an ancestry that goes back over 250 years and most really aren't interested in the world outside of their lives. In other words they aren't any different from your typical American.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Personally I think we should be just called Americans, if you want to specify, by race say "Afro-Americans or "Euro-Americans". Outside of the U.S, in my experience, I was considered an American. Africans and Europeans don't understand
why Americans hyphenate themselves: e.

And when the French define the great grand children of North Africans in terms of their immigrant origins, or French Antilleans are compelled to remind people that they aren't immigrants, is this evidence that there isnt some implicit hyphenation? In the minds of most French people the descendants of North and West Africans and Antilleans aren't French in the same way that they are. They are in fact hyphenated Frenchmen, that is even if they are allowed to be defined as "French" in the first place.

As to Africans. Again implicit hyphenation. I have yet to meet a Nigerian who is only a Nigerian. Their ethnic affiliation comes first and many see those from the north as foreigners.

They display their hypocrisy when they query why many Americans hyphenate their identities. In fact this is the reality in most ethnically diverse societies. At least the USA acknowledges this and derives pride from this multicultural heritage.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Personally I think African-American is a perfectly good name to describe the descendants of US slaves. However let's not get carried away there isn't much of an African "cultural identity" among African-Americans. This is with good reason relatively few Africans were imported into North America their increase is almost entirely due to natural increase. Up into the late 20th century 99.5% of blacks in the USA were born in the USA. This percentage has been consistent since the late 18th century.
I don't think that most think that they are culturally African or are even interested in African culture. Those who accept the term "African American" merely signal their origins in Africa, with the specific points of origin being unknown. The focus is on the American. NOT the African.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Most AAs know little and care little about blacks whose immediate ancestry is from outside of the USA. Get out of places with large black immigrant populations and most AAs see them as if they just arrived from Mars, and cannot even begin conceptualize them as fellow blacks. And in fact don't even identify with them more than they would a white American.

This is what makes the pan Africanism of a very, very, very, small Afrocentric intellectual class to be pure fantasy. Black Americans have an ancestry that goes back over 250 years and most really aren't interested in the world outside of their lives. In other words they aren't any different from your typical American.
I somewhat disagree.

As I said on earlier threads, "BlacK" and "African American" are creations of white racists who stripped people of ethnic identities, and who further pushed an one drop rule to permanently create a marginalized/slave group of people.

African Americans, including those outside large urban centers, provided they have resources often do research their ethnic backgrounds (genetic testing) and some do go to the countries of their origin.

You see lots of YouTube videos, blogs, and others by African Americans who are traveling or living in Africa or other parts of the world. These are younger and more educated people. This would have been almost unheard of among AAs you generation.

I think you have to rigid and stereotypical views of AAs, and based everything solely on the ones you've known in the past.

With that said an African American at the end of the day is an American, and a Westerner. It's easier for Americans to go to other Western countries than it is non Western countries. I'm live in Spain. The adjustment to live here long term is much easier than it would have been the DR, Colombia, or Jamaica.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,450,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Right. It's the conceit of academics. Even the politicians that espouse it, like Nkrumah, came from academia. It's of little practical concern to the masses or even elites. Ghana has one of the highest penetrations of an African language among its population, about 50% speak Twi, in Africa. The TV shows and news broadcasts are often done in Twi with no English translation or captions. Yet if Twi was to be declared the national language to the exclusion of others the country would devolve into fierce fighting.

Now repeat this scenario across Africa. Heck in Cameroon they are fighting over European languages.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:59 PM

691 posts, read 920,910 times
Object lesson, where I live in the RustBelt, our city has had an influx of refugees, Nepal and Bhutan and Somali Bantu, to
show you how discrimination works, the Asian refugees were settled and scattered among the white working-class areas
guess where most of the Somali Bantu were settled, in one of the WORST housing projects in the city, mostly AA. Several have been shot and robbed already due to cultural misunderstandings. Some of the Somali teens have already been arrested
because the look like someone who did a crime.

The local news ran an article on them, one Bantu man stated," This is just like in Africa, poor Black People standing around
doing nothing" We also got some of the "Lost Boys of the Sudan". I met a couple of them while food shopping, they got jobs
in several local supermarkets. Every time one would see me in Whole Foods, he would smile and say "Hey Brother!"

The fact that they settled these people in the middle of an American Ghetto with no cross-cultural training or any thing is very callous to me after all they have gone thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or