U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 AM
 
276 posts, read 293,611 times
Reputation: 300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The white dominated world referred to the world of South Africa, and I contrast it with Nigeria. You will admit that the private sector in South Africa is white dominated in a way that it is not in Nigeria. And that blacks still have to make more accommodations to whites, which they definitely don't have to do in Nigeria. If you go to Nigeria you learn how to deal with them, or you leave.


As to learning African languages. That is like being forced to learn a foreign language in school. Once you leave long forgotten. To what extent does the day to day survival of white South Africans depend on having to adjust to, and to live within value systems, and cultures of blacks, who are the majority group?


Your culture isn't indigenous to Africa. You can slice it and dice it all you wish but its roots are fundamentally European. Highly transformed yes, but still European based. In fact even the white South African accent is but a regional British accent.


Luckily black South Africans don't to white South Africans what Europeans have done to African immigrants to that continent, and that is to force them to fully assimilate, or leave them severely marginalized.


You can also use my assumptions about you to elaborate on how you as a white South African has had to make accommodations to living in a majority black society. Acting defensive doesn't allow you to make your case, and that is as a white South African you still have numerous advantages over a black South African. That is unless you get into politics or work for government.


And yes the inequality in South Africa is based on race, given the fact that one of the most brutish forms of bigotry was sanctioned by law up to a mere generation ago.
Some board of directors of some of the bigger companies in SA
SAA leadership | Company Profile | Directors | Chief Executive Officer | SAA | South African Airways
http://go.dstv.com/multichoice/docum...d_pictures.pdf
Board of Directors - Media24.com
Leadership | About EOH | Enterprise IT Applications
Directors | Fortress
Directorate | Trustco Holdings
http://www.telkom.co.za/ir/apps_stat...fDirectors.pdf
Board of Directors
https://www.mtn.com/MTNGROUP/Leaders...Directors.aspx

And an SOE for funsies
Board of Directors as on 2 July 2016

Links I'm sure are pointless as you're most likely just going to pick the 1 with the most white people to continue your argument? Much the same as it'd be easy for me to go and find links with majority black people.

So your contrast to Nigeria. Could I make the same contrast of India vs. Japan? I mean those countries are closer together than we are to Nigeria? But it seems to fulfill your "on the same continent so they should be the same" criteria.

Day to day living. Maybe if you can provide some examples of what you mean here I can let you know if I've had to adjust or not? (like a normal discussion)

Considering there are more native Afrikaans speaking people then there are English it be more of a Dutch regional accent. And again thanks for telling me what my culture is and isn't

You missed my point completely about inequality. Your original statement implied that the current inequality is caused by current racism, which I am disagreeing with. By past racism yes.

And yes, I have had to be defensive because you seem pretty intent on being offensive and not constructive. I have deliberately taken that position to attempt to get a discussion out of you but it seems fairly obvious that you have already made up your mind on the topic.

All I've gotten from you so far is that it seems that you've already written me off completely on the mere fact that I'm white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2016, 07:32 PM
 
1,052 posts, read 482,083 times
Reputation: 1118
Red face South Africa Is Beautiful......

Judging by one South African, Keo Motsepe, the Dancing With The Stars professional dancer, if most men are as talented and gorgeous, as he is, I am moving there............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM
 
276 posts, read 293,611 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
as a mulatto African I think you two should knock it off
Don't worry, I'm done from my side. I don't think anyone is getting any value out of it which just makes it pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Providence, RI
9 posts, read 6,286 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I hear all kinds of stories about white farmers being killed and how it's acceptable to kill whites and whites only represent 9% of the population. How does it compare to being white in Europe or America?
This is true. I am South African (black) but I now live in the US. It is dangerous over there for you white people. My wife was white but she was killed. I was spared as were my daughters. Please, if you are white, stay away...it is very bad there. I will visit my family and hers but that is it. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,159,161 times
Reputation: 4536
Default now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen1967 View Post
This is true. I am South African (black) but I now live in the US. It is dangerous over there for you white people. My wife was white but she was killed. I was spared as were my daughters. Please, if you are white, stay away...it is very bad there. I will visit my family and hers but that is it. Peace.
I just booked a flight to Cape Town . You mean I should cancel it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Providence, RI
9 posts, read 6,286 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I just booked a flight to Cape Town . You mean I should cancel it ?
No, you should be fine as long as you listen to the locals and avoid the areas not meant to be traveled. For instance, within a 5 block radius, there will be two blocks to avoid lest you get raped, mugged, or murdered. So if you are in a upper class area with armed guards, don't leave the area unless you are with someone who knows where they are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2016, 10:55 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,936,205 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Some board of directors of some of the bigger companies in SA





All I've gotten from you so far is that it seems that you've already written me off completely on the mere fact that I'm white.


Your issue is that you make comments, and completely forget the context. You frequently blame the ANC for continued racial suspicion and REFUSE to accept the reason why black South Africans don't trust whites.


So yes I will write you off as you seem determined to pretend as the RECENT past doesn't have strong impact on what South Africa is today. I am 59. I would have been an adult when apartheid ended and so who I am would have been determined by this fact.


So you can continue to pretend as if we are talking about ancient colonial history of impact only on those long dead.


Now mull on the fact that a black South African must speak at least one European language, and must learn how to operate within western cultural norms, while you do NOT have to adjust to any aspect of indigenous South African culture.


You can feel free to deny that you have several advantages over a typical black South African who isn't part of the elite. And when you do so I will simply write you off as being in denial.


FACT. It is the black South African who best integrates him/her self into this white dominated world that achieves upward mobility. THAT is what makes South Africa different from Nigeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top